Author Topic: Tool chests  (Read 12821 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Tool chests
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
muddy,

Here's an idea.  Forget the chest(s).

Instead, get yourself two HF 26"w x 22"d 8-drawer roll cabs.  You'll be "rolling" in TONS of good usable drawer space.  List price is ~ $299 per cab, but often on sale for less. 

You'll be set for life, and because they're on wheels you can easily reconfigure your shop as your projects change.
That's a great idea, but this is for at work. The box stays in one spot, and I'm already at the widest I can squeeze in I need to go up.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 07:52:44 AM »
How deep is that MAC box front to back? The new HF are 22" so might be too deep.

Also look at maybe ditching some of the blow molded cases. Those things eat space.

In my opinion, anything in a blow molded case does not get stored in my box/roller.
If it we're at home I'd say the same thing, however for work I like to have everything that is mine inside my box.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
How deep is that MAC box front to back? The new HF are 22" so might be too deep.

Also look at maybe ditching some of the blow molded cases. Those things eat space.

In my opinion, anything in a blow molded case does not get stored in my box/roller.
If it we're at home I'd say the same thing, however for work I like to have everything that is mine inside my box.

Would they allow you to mount a lockable cabinet to the wall somewhere?
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Replacing the side box with this locker might work for the blow molded cases.

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-Red-End-Locker-64157.html

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
There only about 4 blow mold cases that are a pain, it actually the small items that create the most clutter.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »
Drawer organization is one of the reasons I think Lista does so well in spite of the cost. They seem to have figured ways to divide up the drawers without eating much room and it's flexible.

The big players seem to have no problem selling lots of boxes so finding solutions isn't much of a priority.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 08:15:46 AM »
I think many of the boxes with the big deep drawers or possibly sold to guys that might not take the time to stop and think about how bad those big deep drawers will answer their needs. I suppose if you are the kind of guy that keeps all of his sets of sockets and wrenches and everything in boxes then deep drawers might not be such a big deal to you. But for guys that fill each drawer with socket rails and individual pieces the downside of those big deep drawers becomes evident very quickly.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 12:27:40 PM »
I didn't realize the one was 52" wide. Unfortunately the Tech1000 is only 50" wide. So two 25" boxes would JUST fit.

Build a short overhanging balcony with 2 x 4s, then throw two large 26'" chests on top.  Two 26" are cheaper and easier to DIY move than one 52".

Offline muddy

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »
Looked at the HF one today. My thoughts are that GF is right and the drawers are too deep. They could work, but I'll keep looking around before I buy one.

They sure had options of colors on their carts, red, blue, green, orange....

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:51:56 PM by muddy »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
I bought two of the HF 42inch bottoms several years ago. Have really enjoyed the space. I'm not getting the dislike for the deep drawers? That's where the bulky items like pullers and pneumatic tools go.

Offline muddy

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »
I bought two of the HF 42inch bottoms several years ago. Have really enjoyed the space. I'm not getting the dislike for the deep drawers? That's where the bulky items like pullers and pneumatic tools go.
It's not that the deep drawers are bad, it's the number of them.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:43 AM »
It's not that the deep drawers are bad, it's the number of them.

I seem to remember someone ( don't recall what web forum) ordering the shallower drawers from HF at one point...   the only issue was they seemed to take the slow boat from China to get to them.   I'm pretty sure the drawers fit right in with no problems, as the slides are evenly spaced.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »

I keep most all my pullers in a dedicated wall cabinet. Until recently I had all of my air stuff in the bottom deep drawer of my box, but recently moved them to a heavy BB deep drawer office bench I repainted for shop use and now store as much heavy and bulky stuff as I can there.

Of course, being as all of my work is at home I can likely consider options others cannot.