Author Topic: Tool Box Stickers  (Read 20827 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Tool Box Stickers
« on: January 26, 2019, 10:18:50 PM »
Just saw a thread on the other site in the tool box thread a guy gets a nice Matco box, cleans it up and covers it in stickers - or as he put it fired the sticker cannon. I honestly don't understand. Not knocking it or criticizing but I really am sort of lost.

But as background I don't wear advertising on my person. My hat is just plain black with no logos or names - and T-shirts if I wear them out of the house are plain with no advertising. Again, I'm not judging or saying it's wrong it's just not something I do.

So I guess carrying that mindset over to the tool box I just don't understand why someone would want that.

I would really be interested to hear a different opinion and see if I'm missing something.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Tool Box Stickers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 11:05:46 PM »
I have stickers on some of my boxes.  Usually it's one I bought with stickers.  I may take some off and add some of my own, or just leave what was on there.  But most of mine are stickerless.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 11:06:26 PM »
I had a road box with the front closing lid that had all kinds of stickers on it. Bought it off of an older gent at the time. Come to find out years later that the box was actually a true racing road box and the old gent was a crew mechanic for some high end Trans Am racers at the time. Some of the stickers gave the clues, but I was too naive and uninformed to understand what I was looking at.

Lesson learned -- sometimes the stickers tell a story.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:22:16 PM »
I have stickers on some of my boxes.  Usually it's one I bought with stickers.  I may take some off and add some of my own, or just leave what was on there.  But most of mine are stickerless.

In your case I think you have so many boxes you need the stickers to tell them apart.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 11:24:18 PM »
I had a road box with the front closing lid that had all kinds of stickers on it. Bought it off of an older gent at the time. Come to find out years later that the box was actually a true racing road box and the old gent was a crew mechanic for some high end Trans Am racers at the time. Some of the stickers gave the clues, but I was too naive and uninformed to understand what I was looking at.

Lesson learned -- sometimes the stickers tell a story.

That makes sense in racing circles (pun partly intended) since sponsors are such a big part.

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 01:17:47 AM »
Like JAFE, I don't wear advertising on my shirts or jackets.  Don't put stickers on my car bumper.  I put stuff on my tool box, but with magnets.  A guy at work had some interesting stickers on his big toolbox.  My favorite one was,  (The proof that God loves us is,  he let us invent beer!)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 05:54:21 AM »
I don't know why, but putting stickers on a toolbox just seemed like the thing to do for me.
I have stickers on my house box and will probably add others, companies I like have sent stickers with their products so I put them on my box.
My grandfather's box however I left as it was with the single sticker he had on it, I won't be adding any more unless I could find one of the 4th AD patch or one that says " name enough ".

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:59:19 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 06:36:38 AM »
Maybe the whole idea is academic anyway. Probably won't be long before they come covered in warning stickers.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 07:48:28 AM »
Some people need warning stickers, like do not close box on fingers!!! :))

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:19:55 AM »
Or do not open all drawers at once.  :D

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 08:26:02 AM »
Do not close drawer with hand still in it.
boop/bop/beep

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 08:27:04 AM »
Just saw a thread on the other site in the tool box thread a guy gets a nice Matco box, cleans it up and covers it in stickers - or as he put it fired the sticker cannon. I honestly don't understand. Not knocking it or criticizing but I really am sort of lost.

But as background I don't wear advertising on my person. My hat is just plain black with no logos or names - and T-shirts if I wear them out of the house are plain with no advertising. Again, I'm not judging or saying it's wrong it's just not something I do.

So I guess carrying that mindset over to the tool box I just don't understand why someone would want that.

I would really be interested to hear a different opinion and see if I'm missing something.

Same here ..........

T-shirts plan solid colors, amazing how easy it is to be different. Hat now and then if the mood stricks me..... got hair.

I do have a few stickers left on the tool box, started removing them a year or so back. NO it did not take that long because of the amount.

Do want a few reminders of personal history. Most walking billboards as I see em are  posers.

Warning stickers, last about as long as the box the item came in.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »
i have applied very few stickers over the years and i am sure not caught up in brand names. i do however enjoy wearing t shirts from places i have been. i will gladly and proudly wear a t shirt from some hole in the wall bar or cafe  i have had the pleasure of enjoying. i have a few items of clothing i have purchased or have been given that have the logo of seed, fertilizer  or equipment i actually use a (i avoid those i don't use). i also have a few decals on my trucks and t shirts with my initials, name  and farm that i have given out (even elroy has one).

does all of this mean i am poser? elroy told me he likes the t shirt. maybe he is a poser.

the guy who has  logos displayed from head to toe and decals covering his tool box, truck and bathroom wall? he may be a poser. :D
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
A T with your info is very cool but that's a lot different. I have some T's with band names but they were given to me by J.A.F.E.tte from concerts she went to. I wear them around the house but almost never leave the house in them.

The clothing thing where someone is wearing all Harley Davidson branded stuff strikes me as posing though.

Since there's no warning sticker telling me not stand on the drawers of my roller I need to use it as a ladder change the bulbs over it. Be back soon...

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »
Never put a sticker on a tool box. I don't wear logo shirts except for our EAA chapter shirts but do have embroidered and silk screened shirts with WWII airplanes on them. I will wear hats that the wife brings home from work. I don't care who the vendor is as long as it is a camo hat. The company did start to buy embroidered hats and I wear one of those every single day when I am about and out. People ask me what are Babbitt bearings. I also wear our EAA chapter hat for airport events.