Author Topic: Tool Box Stickers  (Read 20531 times)

Offline Conductor562

Re: Tool Box Stickers
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 06:13:03 PM »
George Carlin purposely wore blank clothing for the very reason of not being a walking billboard for corporate interests.

I wear plan white T-shirts 99% of the time. Not for any theological reason, but for the fact they are cheap and comfortable. If I stain or rip one, I can trash it because I have 20 more just like it.

I have no issues with stickers. Most of my crappies have stickers, my big Proto roller does not. It’s like anything else I guess, I try to keep the nice stuff nice.

A guy who buys a new roller and instantly stickers it up? That’s a little trashy for my taste, but I live on top of a big ol hill in West Virginia, so wth do I know.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
I'm not big on toolbox stickers. My SO top box has them as I bought it used. My bottom box is sticker free.  One thing I did with my mid box is I glued chrome auto dealer advertisement logos on the sides. These were from cars that were traded in or where I worked. It was a used mid box and looked crappy. It looked better with them on. When I sold the mid box , I did remove them.

I do wear Carhartt T shirts. Does that count as a logo ?

Offline muddy

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
Here's some on my work boxes. I kind feel a tool box needs some stickers.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »
I put stickers on everything :D

Offline highland512

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 08:17:45 AM »
The hardhat like you show has a brim around the entire circumference while some have a sort of bill. What is the difference and why one over the other?

The brimmed ones are mostly used by folks who work outside. Keeps the sun and rain off your neck.

What he said........ Any little bit helps when you stand out in the sun for 12 hours. When I was working on a border fence project out of collage many of the laborers had sombreros shade rings they put on their hard hats and I thought how goofy is that. After a sunburn on the back of my neck that blistered I ordered one my self and wear it almost daily. I also wear long sleeves (although many safety rules require it now) even if the temp is in the 90's. 10-12 hours of direct sun just wears a guy out physically and mentally plus after 20-30 years of it your skin cancer risk doubles or triples and you look like a wore out baseball glove.   

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
The DWP (Department of Water and Power) crews wear the ones with the brim around the circumference). If I have to spend any time out in the sun the J.A.F.E.tte makes me put on sunscreen although I would rather wear long sleeves even in the summer. I don't spend much time out anymore though. The sunis really nothing to fool with.

Is the material of the hard hats the same between the full brim and the bill style?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »
The hardhat like you show has a brim around the entire circumference while some have a sort of bill. What is the difference and why one over the other?

The brimmed ones are mostly used by folks who work outside. Keeps the sun and rain off your neck.

........ 10-12 hours of direct sun just wears a guy out physically and mentally plus after 20-30 years of it your skin cancer risk doubles or triples and you look like a wore out baseball glove.   

Even non-outside jobs suffer from that hazard. I've seen pictures of truck drivers that were in the left seat for 40/50+ years, and the left sides of their face, neck and in some cases arms are literally ulcered compared to the right sides. Even sitting behind a side window pane most of the time the sun had a huge effect on their exposed skin.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 10:03:17 AM »
When I went to work at Westinghouse and was issued a welding helmet, the first thing I was told to do was find an old welding glove. They told me to cut off the long cuff and fashion a shield to duct tape to the bottom of the hood to protect my neck from the arc and splatter.
UV rays can affect pilots due to flying at high altitudes. They can also get you flying planes with clear canopies overhead. Besides the greenhouse effect the UV rays are beating right down on you.

Offline highland512

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
The DWP (Department of Water and Power) crews wear the ones with the brim around the circumference). If I have to spend any time out in the sun the J.A.F.E.tte makes me put on sunscreen although I would rather wear long sleeves even in the summer. I don't spend much time out anymore though. The sunis really nothing to fool with.

Is the material of the hard hats the same between the full brim and the bill style?

Yes the same shell materials are used between the two. But there are different types of hard had materials. Plastic, fiber glass, and fiber composite hats. A regular plastic hardhat used on a construction site is useless in a steel mill, the heat makes the plastic too pliable to offer any protection. The amount of protection a hard hat provides is limited anyways. anything much larger than a hammer is going through. There are all kinds of videos on the youtube showing impact test on them, the worst has to be spud bar vs hard hat. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
I figured hard hats were mostly for protection bumping your head against something like standing up in a short space or bumping into something. Like safety toe shoes a real crush your toes are still toast but bumps and kicks it's protection.

Does a hard hat make you aware to protect your noggin? I've only worn one a couple times when going through areas under construction and I had to wear one. Never worked in one but I was aware it was on my head.

Would adding Viking horns on one be allowed?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline highland512

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »
Its more like putting your socks on in the morning. Electricians and mechanical guys are probably more aware of it than anyone. Tying to look into a tight space with one on is impossible. I only remember mine is on when I go to climb into the truck and hit it on the cab of the truck.

The horns although cool, would be no no'ed by your local safety fell'er.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
At one time some workers in the plants and refineries tried to use "Cowboy" style hard hats, but most safety guys would not allow them.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »

The horns although cool, would be no no'ed by your local safety fell'er.

So I guess the beer can fixture would be out of the question.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
So I guess the beer can fixture would be out of the question.

Allowed at sporting events only :))

I hate wearing a hard hat, especially in summer, bakes your brains out >:(

As to being in the sun, I wear a big straw hat.  Never worried about my arms but I am not in the sun all day.

As to the truck drivers, they also lose hearing in their left ear if they drive a lot with the windows down.  Happened to a buddy of mine.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »
[snip]

As to the truck drivers, they also lose hearing in their left ear if they drive a lot with the windows down.  Happened to a buddy of mine.

Not only the hearing the sun on the left left side isn't good either...