Author Topic: Led Shop Lights.  (Read 5464 times)

Online muddy

Led Shop Lights.
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »
Been looking to put up some lighting in my basement is garage. With just two standard light bulbs it wasn't very bright to work in there.

I found some LEDs at Lowe's for $20 a piece.

They definitely are only $20 lights, the build quality shows it. They are fairly light and plasticy. They do throw off pretty good light however. I'll keep them up until they fail lol

I hard wireded them in and they have a switch on the body of the light. It was a four beer job. Now I have to clean up the mess.

First pic shows the shop with just the standard screw in bulbs. The next the LEDs.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Led Shop Lights.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:21:34 PM »
Quite a difference -- looks great Tim.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »
light is good. i just put about 16 led lights in my shop. you can tell the difference.  ;D ;D
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »
LEDs are the new way to fly, and they last, long time
1776 ................... what happened!

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:06:36 AM »
I've been gradually replacing my fluorescent lights with LEDs in my shop.  What I found is that many of those available had the same light output in lumens than the ones I was replacing.  There are higher output ones available and are more expensive but really brighten up the work area.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:03:57 AM »
I replaced all of the CFL (as of now my building only has light sockets) with cob style LED's. WOW, worth every penny. I dont think I will have to install anymore lights now.
https://www.ruralking.com/gt-lite-5000-lumen-led-cob-bulb

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:44:46 AM »
I've been gradually replacing my fluorescent lights with LEDs in my shop.  What I found is that many of those available had the same light output in lumens than the ones I was replacing.  There are higher output ones available and are more expensive but really brighten up the work area.

These will change your mind, and can be direct wired ... NO ballast required

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-t8-tubes-replacement-bulbs/18w-t8-led-tube-2070-lumens-4ft-single-end-ballast-bypass-type-b-32w-equivalent-5000k4000k/4622/

How to FYI V

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:51 AM »
I don't care for the LEDs unless they are the bright white. I did change out the T8 bulbs above the mezzanine as the wife likes the softer light. If you replace your T8 bulbs with LEDs you don't have to worry about the ballast. The ballast may shorten the life of the bulb though.
I have found some A19 LED bulbs are too harsh in some rooms in the house but are nice if they are on a slider dimmer.

Offline mikef2316

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 03:36:44 PM »
One other nice thing about LEDs over florescents is cold weather performance.  I have mostly florescents in my garage, I have added a few LEDs.  Back in the day I left one incandescent in the middle, so there would be some light when I went in when it was really cold.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 07:03:12 PM »
Bright lights are always welcome, nice job.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 08:43:29 PM »
I don't care for the LEDs unless they are the bright white. I did change out the T8 bulbs above the mezzanine as the wife likes the softer light. If you replace your T8 bulbs with LEDs you don't have to worry about the ballast. The ballast may shorten the life of the bulb though.
I have found some A19 LED bulbs are too harsh in some rooms in the house but are nice if they are on a slider dimmer.

Not an expert, but I have read that some LEDs wire either or, swing both ways regarding the use of a ballast.

The other and are what I hung, are referred to as straight wired. That for me think is best practice, 2 reasons. With a ballast you have 2 points of failure, tube or ballast.

The drawing shows a single tube fixture, if someone wants to know how to straight wire a 2 tube fixture .... ask

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:57 PM »
I like the LEDs in general. Much better than the compact florescents and now the replacements for the florescent tubes really change the game.

I have some of the Philips wirelss incandescent replacements that are really neat. I can switch them on at the lamp but if I leave the switch on there is a remote wireless switch that can control several of the bulbs and the bulbs are dimmable at the switch. Quite neat, at least in my mind.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline john k

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »
What I haven't seen is the mention of the power usage.  LEDs consume 1/7 to 1/10 of  the amps that incandescents do.   In big applications,  parking lots etc. the power bill shows the buyer these lights consume a LOT less power.   Going by what a good acquaintance is showing.   Plus they burn so cool. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 12:15:46 AM »
The heat is power wasted in the form of heat instead of converted to visible light. The LEDs are efficient because they generate little heat.

The engineering that goes into an LED is pretty amazing and they can be designed to emit pretty much any color light or even a range of colors (like on an LED flatscreen).

My brother is just finishing his new office and he put some pretty amazing LED fixtures in. These are not designed as replacements for incandescent or fluorescent bulbs these are whole new designs with the LEDs engineered to fit. Really small, really cool and produce an amazing amount of light. Oh, and really expensive. He can control the color to make the light warmer or cooler or even program it to alter throughout the day to match natural light or whatever he wants.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.