Author Topic: Got my 3/8 flying V set  (Read 8472 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Got my 3/8 flying V set
« on: January 28, 2019, 04:08:22 PM »
Condition is decent overall, the extension is a little beat up but everything else isn't real heavily used.
3 of the sockets are single line, does that mean they aren't original ?

The spring is a strong one meaning the ratchet is a little stiff but not overly so.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: Got my 3/8 flying V set
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »
Nice!

If the ratchet is stiff that would probably corroborate the premise that the set isn't heavily used. Those old V-rats were a bit stiff till you lubed them and broke them in a little.
-V- instead of =V= probably means something but I'm not well-versed enough in classic Craftsman to help you out. So long as you didn't spens an arm and a leg you did just fine.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »
On the =V= vs. -V- hopefully Lauver will chime in, he's the expert.

Nice working set anyway.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
Nice!

If the ratchet is stiff that would probably corroborate the premise that the set isn't heavily used. Those old V-rats were a bit stiff till you lubed them and broke them in a little.
-V- instead of =V= probably means something but I'm not well-versed enough in classic Craftsman to help you out. So long as you didn't spens an arm and a leg you did just fine.
$47 and change shipped which I was perfectly happy with.

Overall It doesn't seem heavily used, theres hardly any black worn off the teeth.

This should definitely be a great user set for me, and best of all the cool looks of it being a smile to my face.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:21:06 PM »
-V- and =V= are I believe different manufactures but Lauver is the expert.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:50:52 PM »
What does the pawl look like? Is it a batman shape? Or a round plug with two gouges in it? The older "D" slot pawls were very finicky until broken in. The batman pawls ran pretty well even if they were almost dry.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:55 PM »
What does the pawl look like? Is it a batman shape? Or a round plug with two gouges in it? The older "D" slot pawls were very finicky until broken in. The batman pawls ran pretty well even if they were almost dry.
It's got the batwing pawl.

It just feels like it takes a decent amount of force to overcome each tooth in the gear, a little more than I'm used to but not enough to make using it a problem.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 10:31:24 PM »
I just realized that the two 8pt sockets and the 5/8 sparkplug socket with the single line logo have barn roof a in the stamp vs all the others which are 2 liners with the pointed A.

Those barn roof A's are obviously later, but I've never actually seen a Single line tool before.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 11:39:48 PM »

It just feels like it takes a decent amount of force to overcome each tooth in the gear, a little more than I'm used to but not enough to make using it a problem.

You could cut a coil or two out of the spring. If you do keep the cut end in the blind hole and the ball against the uncut end.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 12:22:01 AM »

You could cut a coil or two out of the spring. If you do keep the cut end in the blind hole and the ball against the uncut end.
That could work, and I'll take measurements of the stock spring in case I need to replace it for some reason.
I don't know didly squat though so I'm going to try it out as is for a while before I go changing anything.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
I asked Her Wolf from " The Craftsman ratchet history project " on YouTube ( does post here and the GJ ) and the earliest he could find Permanex in a catalog was '69 so this case is definitely later than the ratchet.

Oh well, I'm not all that in love with it and would rather have the steel box anyhow.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »

The best design for a ratchet, can or could change the direction using your thumb. Real handy when working in a tight area. With just enough room for your hand and tool. Then realize the ratchet is set wrong.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 11:24:12 AM »

The best design for a ratchet, can or could change the direction using your thumb. Real handy when working in a tight area. With just enough room for your hand and tool. Then realize the ratchet is set wrong.

Pep
I'm definitely used to the reverse of this, with the lever pointing down.
But man it looks cool so I'm forcing myself to get used to it  ;D
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 01:47:58 PM »

Pep
I'm definitely used to the reverse of this, with the lever pointing down.
But man it looks cool so I'm forcing myself to get used to it  ;D

Oh yeah, what I call the "baby rattle" style. You can probably swap out the baby rattle rebuild kit into this body and have it work fine (if you ever need to), so long as you swap out EVERY piece. Typically the older knobs are D-hole, and the later ones are hyphen slot. And sometimes the ball and springs are slightly different. But if you pull out all the flying V parts and install the complete baby rattle kit it should work fine. Plus you can get quick release with the newer kit!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »
Both are good up or down the point being the thumb control, have had both.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »
Ordered a current production PROTO 1/4dr box to put them a set in and it came today, it's a nice box for $12 plus shipping.
I was going to paint the outside a nice grey because I figured the PROTO logo was silkscreened on but it was just an easily removed sticker so I may leave it is is.

I swapped the 16pt's out for some G codes I had which include the 13/16 unlike the V codes that came with it, the finish sucks on them but I don't mind.
I could still fit probably the 8pt's in here, but I'm not even sure how much I'll need them so they're fin in the drawer with other 3/8" stuff.
The cut down HF socket rail they're on adds height requiring them to lay on their side which takes up extra space, but this is still a nice compact 3/8 user set.

Those HF rails are crap even for a dollar but they're still only a dollar and are much better when they're cut down like this, fine for in a boxes set but worthless otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:18:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 07:18:54 AM »
That is a solid set. Nice Score!

I've never been a fan of the craftsman pear heads no matter the vintage. Too many busted knuckles I guess. My dad has a 1/4" drive set like that with the original grey box. I'll have to snap a pic if I ever see it again.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 10:29:38 AM »
That is a solid set. Nice Score!

I've never been a fan of the craftsman pear heads no matter the vintage. Too many busted knuckles I guess. My dad has a 1/4" drive set like that with the original grey box. I'll have to snap a pic if I ever see it again.
Thanks.
So far it seems like a solid user set for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:38:44 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:13 AM »
This Box just looks too plain and needs something.

A quick Google search turned up this set of Craftsman decals on eBay for $5.50 with free shipping, I only really want the one on the bottom left but couldn't find it available separately.
I'm sure I'll find something to do with the others, I know my dad would probably take the Nascar one.

[/url

I don't know of the flying V's were produced during the era of that logo, but this particular logo has always appealed to me and I think it'll look great.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:48:31 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »
I just ordered these two V code pieces to finish my set , that is unless every one of these sockets was available in the V era.
They should fit just fine.

The condition looks pretty good, so I think I got a decent deal at $11 shipped.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:29:34 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn