Author Topic: Got my 3/8 flying V set  (Read 8608 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Got my 3/8 flying V set
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »
Ordered a current production PROTO 1/4dr box to put them a set in and it came today, it's a nice box for $12 plus shipping.
I was going to paint the outside a nice grey because I figured the PROTO logo was silkscreened on but it was just an easily removed sticker so I may leave it is is.

I swapped the 16pt's out for some G codes I had which include the 13/16 unlike the V codes that came with it, the finish sucks on them but I don't mind.
I could still fit probably the 8pt's in here, but I'm not even sure how much I'll need them so they're fin in the drawer with other 3/8" stuff.
The cut down HF socket rail they're on adds height requiring them to lay on their side which takes up extra space, but this is still a nice compact 3/8 user set.

Those HF rails are crap even for a dollar but they're still only a dollar and are much better when they're cut down like this, fine for in a boxes set but worthless otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:18:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 07:18:54 AM »
That is a solid set. Nice Score!

I've never been a fan of the craftsman pear heads no matter the vintage. Too many busted knuckles I guess. My dad has a 1/4" drive set like that with the original grey box. I'll have to snap a pic if I ever see it again.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 10:29:38 AM »
That is a solid set. Nice Score!

I've never been a fan of the craftsman pear heads no matter the vintage. Too many busted knuckles I guess. My dad has a 1/4" drive set like that with the original grey box. I'll have to snap a pic if I ever see it again.
Thanks.
So far it seems like a solid user set for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:38:44 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:13 AM »
This Box just looks too plain and needs something.

A quick Google search turned up this set of Craftsman decals on eBay for $5.50 with free shipping, I only really want the one on the bottom left but couldn't find it available separately.
I'm sure I'll find something to do with the others, I know my dad would probably take the Nascar one.

[/url

I don't know of the flying V's were produced during the era of that logo, but this particular logo has always appealed to me and I think it'll look great.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:48:31 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »
I just ordered these two V code pieces to finish my set , that is unless every one of these sockets was available in the V era.
They should fit just fine.

The condition looks pretty good, so I think I got a decent deal at $11 shipped.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:29:34 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn