Author Topic: Replacing my tools  (Read 4867 times)

Offline m_fumich

Replacing my tools
« on: February 18, 2019, 05:19:56 PM »
It’s been a year since my most of my hand tools were stolen. There were so many that can’t be replaced even if a duplicate were handed to me. Most of my yellow Proto screwdrivers are gone and even my 1/2” Craftsman RHFT flex head.

Anyway, I’ve got to start replacing some tools. I know I’ve got ratchets and I just bought some screwdrivers from Amazon. I don’t mind buying Chinese tools for now. I’ll assemble an American made set later. I need a recommendation on “good enough for now” tools to get me by. I just need metric. Should I just go to Harbor Freight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coolmercury

Re: Replacing my tools
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 05:52:23 PM »
I was cleaned out in 1985, they got all my hand tools (Craftsman) my compressor and roll around jack.  I bought some Harbor freight then and still have almost all of them.  However they are now in the machine barn, tractors and carry around kit.  I again have American tools in the shop.  So---definitely Harbor Freight for the short term if $ are important and I now believe some are good long term.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »
Yes
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 06:54:10 PM »
Some of the HF hand tools are pretty decent and will definitely last long term.
boop/bop/beep

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:01:15 PM »
I agree with going that route. But do be careful to buy the better HF stuff as they still have some cheap junk.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 08:33:59 PM »
if i had no 3/8 or 1/4 sockets i would skip hf and go with gear wrench. one can go online and find the 3/8 drive sae and metric, standard and deep set with free matching 1/4 drive set.  they can be found on line for just over 100 bucks. they come in a nice case and are far better than hf in my book. nothing wrong with the hf but just a better value when considering singles are available for warranty or replacement.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
What exactly are you looking for, mate? I've got duplicates, and would gladly help you out if I have what you need.

I probably have a triple play of S-K round heads rats I can send you, and I might have enough dupes of Proto yellow handles to get you a decent set for use. Nut drivers, allen wrenches, dental picks - lots of stuff I can contribute.

Let us know - I'm sure there's enough of us out there well off enough to outfit you with basic stuff.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »
if i had no 3/8 or 1/4 sockets i would skip hf and go with gear wrench. one can go online and find the 3/8 drive sae and metric, standard and deep set with free matching 1/4 drive set.  they can be found on line for just over 100 bucks. they come in a nice case and are far better than hf in my book. nothing wrong with the hf but just a better value when considering singles are available for warranty or replacement.

tooldiscounter has the buy one get one socket set with 120xp ratchets for 90.98. i doubt hf can even get close to that on price or quality. i prefer the 84 tooth ratchets but there is nothing wrong with the 120's, the 84's just seem to have a little crisper feel and are slightly smaller in size.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:28 PM »
What exactly are you looking for, mate? I've got duplicates, and would gladly help you out if I have what you need.

I’ve bought a screwdriver set and hex keys off Amazon so I’m good there. Metric wrenches and sockets is the biggest need. I have ratchets. Not all my ratchets were in my top box. I had the bottom chest that I got from Jabber at my house with a few ratchets in it. I’ll get an inventory this week. I’m pretty sure I don’t have anything 1/4” though.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »
I know a few young pro mechanics that have mostly HF hand and air tools in their boxes -- they have no complaints. Word is that HF is coming out with a new high-end professional hand tool line that is meant to compete with the tool-trucks.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »

I’ve bought a screwdriver set and hex keys off Amazon so I’m good there. Metric wrenches and sockets is the biggest need. I have ratchets. Not all my ratchets were in my top box. I had the bottom chest that I got from Jabber at my house with a few ratchets in it. I’ll get an inventory this week. I’m pretty sure I don’t have anything 1/4” though.

OK, shoot, sockets is the one major item I don't have alot of spares on.

Though 1/4" drive I might be able to put together an SAE set for you. Mixed set of Craftsman, Thorsen, perhaps Bonney. Just PM me.

Offline m_fumich

Replacing my tools
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 05:08:23 AM »
1/4” is probably the thing I have the least need for, especially SAE. I have one of those $4 socket sets from HF with the 1/4 reducer. That takes care of any 1/4 needs I have. I don’t have a big need for mechanic tools at the moment. When the weather turns warmer I hope to start dismantling, boxing, and labeling one of my 323’s. I have a compressor now so I’ll be getting and air ratchet and impact from HF as well.

I’d really like to take one of those huge zip ties used to install flex ducking for HVAC and zip it tight around the neck of the guy that took my tools. I had some Snap-On combo wrenches that I bought nearly 30 years ago. And my BEST 1/4 ratchet which was an unbranded ratchet made in Japan. And a Wright 3/8 ratchet with a 1/4 body that Riverfront gave me the time I got to stop and see him. Just makes me sick.

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 08:12:49 AM »
Check out Tekton, I bought a set of their screwdrivers with a gift card I got and I LOVE THEM. Screwdrivers and most of the pliers are USA made, the new angle wrench set are USA made as well. The vast majority of their socket sets and wrench sets are made in Taiwan but look to be every bit as good as gearwrench. MIT (makers of Tekton) has a lifetime no questions asked warranty as well. You can buy on line, Meijers Stores, and a few others.