Author Topic: Wright/Matco contour grip ratchets  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Davethorik

Re: Wright/Matco contour grip ratchets
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 11:15:02 AM »
Count me as a dissenter. I had one of the 3/8" in a 1/4" body and really disliked it. The grip was OK, but the mechanism was really sloppy, in my opinion. Got rid of it.

But I do love my Cornwells.

I have heard this about the 3/8 in 1/4 body before, have you tried any other Wright rats? They aren't what I would call sloppy.

I do think Wright's handle selection is goofy. Only contour grip on all 1/4 rats. I think you can get it in black oxide, that might be grippier. The grip selection for larger sizes is better, but still weird. The 3425 that I got is only made as a contour grip, I would have bought a knurled version long ago if it existed.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
Just saying, as the girth of the handles grow, the fewer tight spots they fit in. They may feel good, feeling good does nothing in a minium clearance work situation.  A good tool is worth so much more for a purpose then, how it looks or feels.

You-tub as the example, the reviews mostly center on looks, feel and cheap . WTF and folks bitch about cheap shit, does not last...?.... seems to me some get what they pay for, no substance and glitter ....... hollywood mentality

New tool adds are a hoot, users always have a football field to use them in.

Pep

To be fair, my pictures suck. But I don't know where you're seeing girth besides the grip section? It's a pretty uniform rectangle with radiused corners in cross section. I would say it's slender between the head and grip.

I'm just confused by your post pep. I posted my other Wright ratchets, some of which I've been using for years. That has pretty much let me know Wright ratchets are heavy duty industrial tools, despite how fancy they may or may not look.

It sounds like you have never tried Wright. If that's true, you should.

For the record I'm not Merk. A lot of ppl over on the journal think member Wamsutta is.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:25:51 AM by Davethorik »

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »
I have a couple of the Matco version in 1/2 and like them well enough. I've always been a bit adverse to the shiny slick chrome handles. too hard for me to hold onto when greasy. the 1/2 breaker bar has a flex pin that keeps walking out under usage gotta drive it back in several times a day.

In my shot of all my Wrights, the big one. 4425 long 1/2 with knurling. I recommend it for brute strength. This one was pretty stiff when brand new, but the knurling is almost soft to the touch until you crank on it.

I probably won't be using the new Wright for dirty work. The Cornwells can get slippery when covered in stuff but I'm not flat rate. I can pause to wipe them.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »
Just saying, as the girth of the handles grow, the fewer tight spots they fit in. They may feel good, feeling good does nothing in a minium clearance work situation.  A good tool is worth so much more for a purpose then, how it looks or feels.

You-tub as the example, the reviews mostly center on looks, feel and cheap . WTF and folks bitch about cheap shit, does not last...?.... seems to me some get what they pay for, no substance and glitter ....... hollywood mentality

New tool adds are a hoot, users always have a football field to use them in.

Pep

To be fair, my pictures suck. But I don't know where you're seeing girth besides the grip section? It's a pretty uniform rectangle with radiused corners in cross section. I would say it's slender between the head and grip.

I'm just confused by your post pep. I posted my other Wright ratchets, some of which I've been using for years. That has pretty much let me know Wright ratchets are heavy duty industrial tools, despite how fancy they may or may not look.

It sounds like you have never tried Wright. If that's true, you should.

For the record I'm not Merk. A lot of ppl over on the journal think member Wamsutta is.

I am generalizing about a trend the industry is generally moving or a direction headed ..  The handle is exactly the girth being referred to.

For the record all these handles, or operator controls  if one likes ..........Suck big time, first off cannot clean them, solvents melt them, they chip, heat is not friendly, just  fall apart later down the road.

Personally do not own any, will not buy a tool that has them. Nope lean, mean & knock your teeth out, handles are for me :-\

Just saying

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!