Author Topic: Vintage Snappy Pozi-Driv  (Read 10103 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Vintage Snappy Pozi-Driv
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
A few years ago I was removing the headliner from my E-Type and found that one of the headliner retaining brackets was fastened with slotted screws (see pic) and the other with Phillips screws. The slotted screws came out without a hitch, while the Phillips side was totally corroded, and none of the screws were going to budge. Obviously this is OEM since nothing had been touched in the headliner since the car was assembled.

I first tried my trusty old MAC "woodie" -- but it simply wouldn't bite enough and started to round off the screw. In cases such as this, I try my old impact driver which usually loosens the fastener quite easily. Unfortunately, the postion did not allow for the impact driver.

This is the business end of the MAC "woodie"

Next I tried some older Craftsman Pro (WF's) -- again, the screws started to round off.

I went through several different brands of drivers to find one that would bite -- none seemed to do the job, until in frustration I decided to give these old Snap-on PoziDriv models a try. Well, they broke those rusted Phillips screws free in short order. Not one screw rounded out -- amazing!!!  Just to make sure, I double checked the screws and they were indeed Phillips, not PoziDriv.

Those old Snappy's certainly did the trick -- I will keep them handy while stripping this beast down further. Sometimes it's just a little difference in the profile of a screw driver that can make the difference between success and total frustration when working with corroded fasteners.  :toothy9:

Offline daves_not_here

Re: Vintage Snappy Pozi-Driv
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 12:58:08 AM »
Interesting.

My smooth talking Snap-on driver somehow pursuaded me to buy a small set of those in the mid-80s when I was young and naive.  ::)

Never found much use for them, but I still have 'em.
David

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:20:12 AM »
Interesting.

My smooth talking Snap-on driver somehow pursuaded me to buy a small set of those in the mid-80s when I was young and naive.  ::)

Never found much use for them, but I still have 'em.

I feel your pain. Back in those days I was a MAC guy because the Snap-On guy was complete jerk, but I did buy these from him since they were just so damn good working on British cars with a slew of Pozi-Driv screws. They were expensive though -- IIRC

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »
I first tried my trusty old MAC "woodie" -- but it simply wouldn't bite enough and started to round off the screw. In cases such as this, I try my old impact driver which usually loosens the fastener quite easily. Unfortunately, the postion did not allow for the impact driver.

This is the business end of the MAC "woodie"

I purchased a set of those Mac "woodies" back in the day. My all time fave from that set is the #2 phillips. It's normally the first screwdriver I reach for when dealing with a #2 phillips head. That honking wood handle and extra material on the tip profile gets the job done 99% of the time.