Author Topic: Saturday estate auction lot No. 2  (Read 11478 times)

Offline coolmercury

Saturday estate auction lot No. 2
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
This lot was a table with sockets nicely spaced out until they pushed them all together into one lot.  I bought it for $25.00 and when I counted them today it totaled 133 USA sockets and 19 China sockets.  Some high points, first picture from the top Craftsman deep sockets 1/2 drive 1/2 to 1 1/8'. Next Craftsman 3/8 drive both deep and short. Then the best, 1/2 drive metric Williams Vulcan 10mm through 28mm like new.  In the second picture Indestro 1/2 drive 1/2 through 1"  Sockets on the left are USA including Bonney, Proto etc.  The big sockets at the bottom are china metric 27, 28, 30, 32 and 36mm. Will get to the drive tools tomorrow.

Forgot, between the 3/8 drive Craftsman and the Williams are the 1/2 inch drive short Craftsman.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:08:07 PM by coolmercury »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Saturday estate auction lot No. 2
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
Another screaming deal there!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bill300d

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:27:20 PM »
That there is how to buy sockets.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 08:23:46 AM »
Complete sets and they sell them as a lot :-[

Make a note to not have that auctioneer do your estate sale :))

Great buy!!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 08:32:32 AM »
Complete sets and they sell them as a lot :-[

Make a note to not have that auctioneer do your estate sale :))

Great buy!!

To non-tool people such a set is ALOT of sockets! :D

Their loss is our gain.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 09:43:29 AM »
25 dollars? that's cheap entertainment!  :) :)
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
fatfillup------I go to a lot of auctions (one a week usually on Saturday) and they usually sell the household junk first---I have been told, to hold the women as they are usually the first to leave.  Then often the larger stuff after 12:00 noon and lastly the tools.  I have been to auctions when they don't get to the tools until 2 or 3 PM and by then many of the men have left.  This auctioneer never has two rings, and thus when he has too much stuff he bundles and that is what happened.  I agree, I would never use him.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »
I also go to a lot of auctions, average a grand a week on tools.  Most of the ones I go to will have the tools earlier in the sale after the box lots.  It seems the men are the first to leave out here.  IF they left them to the end, they would go cheap also.  Tools are about the biggest draw at the auctions I attend, of course I don't do fine art, jewelry or fine furniture sales:D

I have one auction I go to every other Saturday and the tools are the first thing to sell.  Note, it is located in a very white collar area and the tool selection is sparse, but often what is there is like new and often goes cheap.  Bought a walk behind leaf blower for $15 because it wouldn't start.  Looked all but new.  Took it home, put fresh gas in it and it fired right up and ran perfectly.  Sold it for $150.  Bought the Mrs. a Rockwell contractor grade 10 inch table saw with a real 1.5 hp motor for $25.  While table saws usually don't bring any money, this was an expensive saw and she was thrilled.

Knowing the auctioneers and there patterns help.  If I don't know the auctioneer, I will call to see when the tools go off and adjust my schedule accordingly.  Normally for a big sale, I like to show up an hour early to preview the tools and get a good parking spot. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 04:13:31 PM »
We almost never have an estate auction. there are several companies that will come in and sell the estate but very seldom do we see an auction.

And the auctions bring out the people with no concept of worth. I was at a sale once where they had a complete snap on 3/4 set and it sold for more than listed on the SO website.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
I also go to a lot of auctions, average a grand a week on tools.  Most of the ones I go to will have the tools earlier in the sale after the box lots.  It seems the men are the first to leave out here.  IF they left them to the end, they would go cheap also.  Tools are about the biggest draw at the auctions I attend, of course I don't do fine art, jewelry or fine furniture sales:D

I have one auction I go to every other Saturday and the tools are the first thing to sell.  Note, it is located in a very white collar area and the tool selection is sparse, but often what is there is like new and often goes cheap.  Bought a walk behind leaf blower for $15 because it wouldn't start.  Looked all but new.  Took it home, put fresh gas in it and it fired right up and ran perfectly.  Sold it for $150.  Bought the Mrs. a Rockwell contractor grade 10 inch table saw with a real 1.5 hp motor for $25.  While table saws usually don't bring any money, this was an expensive saw and she was thrilled.

Knowing the auctioneers and there patterns help.  If I don't know the auctioneer, I will call to see when the tools go off and adjust my schedule accordingly.  Normally for a big sale, I like to show up an hour early to preview the tools and get a good parking spot.

Table saws and especially radial arm saws usually sell dirt cheap on CL here in Topeka. In fact even drill presses and jointers often go very cheap too! But saws are absolutely the cheapest.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »
Great snag for $25!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
We almost never have an estate auction. there are several companies that will come in and sell the estate but very seldom do we see an auction.

And the auctions bring out the people with no concept of worth. I was at a sale once where they had a complete snap on 3/4 set and it sold for more than listed on the SO website.

Estate sales or estate auctions seem to be regional.  We have auctions but few sales and other areas just the opposite.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
In Florida its almost all garage sales, hardly any auctions, while in southern Missouri it all auctions and limited garage sales.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
On the west coast its estate sales and garage sales. I am seeing a couple auctions here and there but they aren't the norm.