Author Topic: Do you ever use a sliding t handle  (Read 15887 times)

Offline Crispycritter

Do you ever use a sliding t handle
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
I have a couple of these but have never found a use for them.. what about you?

Offline oldnslo

Re: Do you ever use a sliding t handle
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:05:17 PM »
My typical use is to drive a 8pt socket on a thread tap, tho it tends to be for the larger sizes, other than that they just sit idle in the drawer.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »
My typical use is to drive a 8pt socket on a thread tap, tho it tends to be for the larger sizes, other than that they just sit idle in the drawer.

similar use for me but i have also  used them on difficult fasteners. if you have the room they can work well to work a stubborn fastener back and forth when trying to work some lube into the threads. using a hand on either side keeps the tool in line with the fastener and gives a lot of "feel" to what is happening. similar to tapping with a t handle.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Ill have to try that all good ideas so far

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 05:57:03 PM »
I hardly ever used the traditional sliding "T"s, but once I found these Craftsman handles, I was hooked. Definitely a cut above the old "T" and speeder handles of the past. They come in 1/4" and 3/8" drive and I use the 1/4" drive version all the time when working in tight spaces.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
I've been pretty happy with the crafty 1/4 drive spinner goodfellow shows but its just a bit too long. I got a 3/8 drive that's only @8in long and its much more functional. These are both "fixed" heads and not the sliding head. don't use the sliders that often.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
I have a couple for collectible/filling a set purposes but never use them. If a ratchet or breaker bar doesn't get the job done it's Vise Grip, nut buster, or torch time. >:(

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
I rarely use them, have a bunch of Plomb and Craftsman ones, just to complete sets. But now and then ill use them when spinning down a bunch of fasteners, say on valve covers. I have just figured how to spin then down fast, then the final cinch down.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 08:13:03 PM »
I also have them , but rarely use them. I have a 3/4" drive in the tractor tool box with a few sockets. Nobody steals these.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »
When using crowsfoot wrenches for prewired components. When building emergency vehicles, often the antennas are attached in fairly inaccessible areas.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 09:03:55 PM »
MY 3/4 drive one can in handy once but that's it so far.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »
Like others have said, with an 8 point socket, they make a nice tap handle.  Otherwise, I like to put a long extension on them and use them to run down fasteners quickly.

Scott

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 10:06:16 AM »
I can tell you they don't sell well :))

Never used one, but my son does a bit.  He builds heads for high performance Subaru's.  I assume it is a feel thing when installing rockers and such on a fresh build
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:37:52 PM by fatfillup »

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Don't even own one.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »
I have a Craftsman V in both my 1/4" sets and I do use them.
I like the ability to spin small bolts and head head screws out, once I loosen them I can twirl my finger around and spin the fastener out.
I do this using a 6" extension.

That Craftsman that was posted looks coo and handy l but I don't like the COO.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:26:16 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »
I use one on occasion sometimes just for the novelty or to spin something out as HnS mentions.

My most used one is a 3/4 SK that was the only drive tool I had in that size for a long time.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 10:59:22 PM »
I use one on occasion sometimes just for the novelty or to spin something out as HnS mentions.

My most used one is a 3/4 SK that was the only drive tool I had in that size for a long time.

I only had a sliding T and a breaker bar for a long while in 3/4 drive before I got a couple of ratchets.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »
I use my 3/8 the most. I put a ratchet adapter on the drive end, then extension + 8pt socket + tap. Very sweet setup when needed.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »
I have a Williams 1" drive sliding T that I picked up somewhere. It's the only 1" drive anything I own. I don't have one in 3/4 or 1/2.
I have a 1934 Snap-on Ferret sliding T in 3/8 that I've used the most of any of my sliding Ts, and I have a Plomb 1/4 drive I got with a set.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
Gang,

Like others, I used a 3/4 drive STH with my 3/4 sockets for decades.  It was my only drive tool other than a lone extension.  I saw no need for a ratchet in 3/4 drive.

I now own 4 vintage 3/4 drive ratchets just because I like them.

In smaller drive sizes, I still like the STH for assembly work and as a tap driver.  They just seem to work well in certain applications that require a good "sense of feel". 
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »
Was at a buddies house last night, removing feet off a saw stand to exchange for casters.  One foot was coming off hard and it was hex shaped.  I asked him to find a socket that fit the foot, and he came back with a 3/4 drive socket and a sliding tee bar.  It was the only 3/4 drive tool he had.  Was he grandfathers and liked dated back to the 40's or so.  Worked well and ended up having to retap the threads they were so chewed up. 

So I have used one :))

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »
It's surprising how many who have only one 3/4 drive tool end up having a sliding T.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 04:51:44 PM »
It's surprising how many who have only one 3/4 drive tool end up having a sliding T.
I still don't own any 3/4, but the sliding T was how it was with me with 1/2" for the longest time.
Now I've got the PLOMB T , a Proto flex head 1/2", and two Craftsman 1/2".
I don't have many 1/2" sockets though.
The sliding T had an old NAF socket on it and this was my grandfather's lug wrench,
Always lookin' to learn

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »
I do have and use my sliding tee handles.They work really well as a tap handles.You can run fasteners down real quick.A piece of pipe on the larger sizes  is sometimes better than a breaker bar,break the fasteners, take the pipe off and center it up, quickly spin it off.You get a real good feel,tapping especially.don't throw this tool under the bus IMO.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »
I do have and use my sliding tee handles.They work really well as a tap handles.You can run fasteners down real quick.A piece of pipe on the larger sizes  is sometimes better than a breaker bar,break the fasteners, take the pipe off and center it up, quickly spin it off.You get a real good feel,tapping especially.don't throw this tool under the bus IMO.

I totally agree, especially the 3/8" drive one I use for tapping with a ratchet adapter. If you really want to experience heaven add the ratchet adapter to the mix.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 10:51:45 PM »
T-Handle Gang,

I'm guessing that the reason there are so many T handles out there is because the lower priced socket sets of the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's did not come with a ratchet.  A metal box, 6-8 sockets (in common sizes), an extension or two, and a T-handle.  Simple, inexpensive tool sets for the home owner, farmer, car owner, motorcycle owner, handyman, or do-it-yourselfer.

If you check the old tool catalogs, you'll see these simple socket sets in damn near every catalog during this period.

My dad had an even simpler and lower priced socket set; an L-handle with 7 or 8 sockets that stored on the L-handle.  This set was hex drive, not square drive.  I originally saw this tools set in the trunk of his 1956 Packard.  I may still have this tool set out in the garage somewhere.  Haven't run across it or thought about it in years.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:41:06 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.