Author Topic: Firewood  (Read 2169 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Firewood
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:48:01 AM »
So what`s the difference if any between dry and seasoned fire wood?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Firewood
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 10:46:24 AM »
Seasoned firewood should be nice and dry. Some peoples idea of seasoned wood varies as some feel one summer will do it and others consider one year seasoned. Softwoods like pine will dry out quicker than hardwoods. The drier the wood is the less creosote you get in the chimney.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 11:03:42 AM »
I was told many years ago that the seasoned wood (i.e. wood that has been stored outside and covered from the elements) for a year or more has gone through literally thousands of expansion/contraction cycles and thus releases a lot of volatile compounds along with its moisture. This makes it burn more cleanly and evenly, and as DN stated, causes less creosote to be released.

I venture to guess that dried wood is simply the time it takes to loose most of its moisture -- which, depending on the wood, could be just a few months.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »
creosote and chimney fires. Seasoned wood doesn't have as much moisture so it doesn't smoke as much and doesn't creosote up the chimney. But if you got a good pipe chimney a little flue fire helps warm up the place. My old shop had a wood/pallet/oil/ cart tires/beer box burner in it. anything to stay warm :lol_hitting:

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »
Depends on the seller. Personally I think there terms mean whatever they want. Red oak isnt fit to burn for 2 years, red maple is fine after a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 04:22:39 PM »
Gotta agree with Walrus.

I doubt any of the guys I know who sell firewood ever looked up the legal definition of seasoned vs dry firewood if such a definition exists

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
Gotta agree with Walrus.

I doubt any of the guys I know who sell firewood ever looked up the legal definition of seasoned vs dry firewood if such a definition exists

So true Phil. Heck, most of the wood they peddle in my area is green as can be. They advertise as seasoned and sell green -- you can literally smell it. Most of these guys also advertise a full cord, and then deliver a pickup load. Customers never complain, and I can only guess they don't know what a full cord looks like-

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
Gotta agree with Walrus.

So true Phil. Heck, most of the wood they peddle in my area is green as can be. They advertise as seasoned and sell green -- you can literally smell it. Most of these guys also advertise a full cord, and then deliver a pickup load. Customers never complain, and I can only guess they don't know what a full cord looks like-
A 1/2 cord usually fills my 8' box. That's just thrown in unstacked

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:21:46 PM by muddy »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 08:37:29 PM »
The guy we buy wood from now delivers it a cord at a time in his dump truck. He owns the trucking company in the yard behind the wife's shop that mainly hauls sand and gravel. I try to be here when he delivers it but he knows where to dump it if I'm not and he knows he will get the money. I like it when he runs almond through the tumbler before our loads as then I get some that got hung up in the tumbler. The almond comes out of Calif as they are constantly tearing out and replanting old groves for maximum production. Almond burns very hot and lasts a long time and I only burn it when temps are well below freezing but sometimes I still have to open the sliding door and only close the screen as the stove room temps hit the 90's.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 11:08:16 PM »
Gotta be care full of orchard wood... full of pesticides/ fungicides don`t bbq with it.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 03:57:42 AM »
Here is what state of Maine says about dry and seasoned. Again buyer beware
https://www1.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/mesweat/downloads/firewood_brochure.pdf

In Maine if you complain about volume of wood received from Fire Wood dealer, a Weights and Measures guy will come and inspect. Most dealers are OK but definitely some shady ones
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:00:30 AM by walrus »