Author Topic: What is the best method for “sod busting” virgin soil?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline m_fumich

Re: What is the best method for “sod busting” virgin soil?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »
You need to either:
1. Spray wait 2 weeks then make multiple tiller passes, it might take 4 or 5 passes. But I find that this is hard on the soil and causes the soil to crust when it dries up.

2. Spray wait 2 weeks, plow then disk then till.

The first couple years in a new garden will always be weedy. Get a good hoe and get to work. I commit at minimum 1 hour of weeding every night (it's usually 2 hrs). A successful garden is a direct result of how much labor you put into it, I have a 5000 SF area that produces over 50% of our households veggies for the year. Are you thinking about planting yet this year?
I will use method #2 next year. I already have 30 tomato plants in the ground. I’ve also planted seeds for “Big Max” pumpkins that get up to 100 lbs, the tiny ornamental pumpkins, and some watermelon. I planted 8 mounds of each. I still have cantaloupe seeds and several varieties of summer squash, winter squash, and cucumbers.

Last Fall I planted 37 thornless blackberry bushes. Only 3 failed to take root. I have them all in one row. Over the next couple years, I plan to add 12 more rows of blackberries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk