Author Topic: Mosin nagant  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Crispycritter

Mosin nagant
« on: November 10, 2020, 07:12:07 PM »
Since when does the average mosin retail for 400 i remember snipers being that. But now the ones i bought for 80 bucks are worth5x.. Not to mention finding surplus 762 54r is near impossible

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Mosin nagant
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
Welcome to the new wold of "panic". Once all the modern firearms were flying off the shelves, a lot of people panicked and started to go after the older military firearms and ammunition. 7.62x54R was relatively cheap up until May/June when the riots started. Then it got scarce and expensive.

It's so bad right now that folks are turning to some real oddball rifles and calibers. I hear that surplus Italian M91 Carcano rifles in 6.5x52 Carcano and 7.35x51 Carcano are selling like "hotcakes" right now. A rifle and cartridge combination that practically was unheard of in the US -- except among military collectors.

BTW -- The Carcano 91 in 6.5 was used by Lee Oswald to assassinate John Kennedy, but the average person on the street wouldn't know that rifle's name and history from a hole in the ground.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:45:32 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:06:18 PM »
I was shocked to see what the m1 carbines were bringing. i can remember when those were $45 each and ammo for them was even cheaper. I saw an article where they had found a warehouse overseas with the M1 carbines in it and were taking pre-orders for $750-$1000 :-\

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 06:41:51 PM »
Everything is up now, I saw a 9mm high point with a asking price of $269.99.  :-\

I paid that for a used M&P 9 with night sights 2 years ago. Sell your mosins while you can and laugh all the way to the bank.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
I'm planning on hitting a gun show this weekend, I'll report on some prices.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 10:32:12 PM »
Got a Mosin, but always wanted a M-1 Garand.  Sounds like that is out for awhile.   Just have to be happy with my antique bolt actions.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
Goodfellow is right, we are in the middle of a panic buy. Everything is more expensive. Part of this is due to people not being able to get ammo for a lot of things, so they go after things that they can get ammo for.

Speaking of which, I have a couple of pistols I inherited that I never shoot, now might be time to sell.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 12:51:24 PM »

That should be interesting! I don't go to shows around here anymore because most of the the sellers push survivalist tactical arms and accessories. Traditional wood furniture hunting rifles and shotguns are few and far between these days. Hopefully you have a different experience Tim.

I did hear that the shows have plenty of ammo for sale, but that the prices are ridiculously overpriced. Did I say "ridiculous"? -- I should have said "obscene". 
I guess all the Walmart ammo hoarders who bought everything that Walmart had in stock over the last three years are finally getting a BIG payoff for their efforts. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 02:16:08 PM »
A guy who works with the wife bought a .45 pistol at a pawn shop. The shop had no ammo and my neighbor won't part with any even though he never goes shooting. He found out the hard way to check the ammo situation before buying a weapon. He will probably have to pay $.80 per round or more plus shipping if he buys it online.

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »

That should be interesting! I don't go to shows around here anymore because most of the the sellers push survivalist tactical arms and accessories. Traditional wood furniture hunting rifles and shotguns are few and far between these days. Hopefully you have a different experience Tim.

I did hear that the shows have plenty of ammo for sale, but that the prices are ridiculously overpriced. Did I say "ridiculous"? -- I should have said "obscene". 
I guess all the Walmart ammo hoarders who bought everything that Walmart had in stock over the last three years are finally getting a BIG payoff for their efforts.
Its a the same around here everything has to be "tactical" and AR-15 this or AR-15 that.

I usually snoop around and leave with nothing.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 09:00:15 PM »
Just saw a report that the shortage is so bad that buyers are switching to more obscure calibers such as 25ACP, 32ACP, 32HR, and 45Colt. Even the long forgotten cowboy calibers such as 44-40, 32-40, 32-20, 38SW, 32SW, and 32Colt, are all flying off the shelves these days. People are buying guns for these secondary calibers because the ammo is available (although costly), or they have grandpa's old antiques firearms sitting around and are the only firearms that they can still find ammo for.

I've never dealt with specialty antique caliber ammo suppliers, but I'm quite sure that they are doing big business these days.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 09:19:35 PM »
I was shocked to see what the m1 carbines were bringing. i can remember when those were $45 each and ammo for them was even cheaper. I saw an article where they had found a warehouse overseas with the M1 carbines in it and were taking pre-orders for $750-$1000 :-\

Always wanted an M1 carbine. Cute little gun, easy to shoot. But when I saw what they were asking for them at a local show I about coughed up my heart! If I bought one I wouldn't need it - because all my money would be gone!  :41:

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 09:27:36 PM »
A guy who works with the wife bought a .45 pistol at a pawn shop. The shop had no ammo and my neighbor won't part with any even though he never goes shooting. He found out the hard way to check the ammo situation before buying a weapon. He will probably have to pay $.80 per round or more plus shipping if he buys it online.

This is how I beat the ammo counter, but a lot of people have figured out reloading is a thing lately and vacuumed the supplies up. I predict a large number of blown up guns and people giving up reloading in the next few months based on the plain stupidity I've seen across the forums. It's not an area to play around too much if you don't know how variables change things.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 10:41:31 PM »
Reloadings how I've been feeding my .45 and 5.56 habit lately. Small rifle primers are gold now.

Offline highland512

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 07:21:32 AM »

This is how I beat the ammo counter, but a lot of people have figured out reloading is a thing lately and vacuumed the supplies up. I predict a large number of blown up guns and people giving up reloading in the next few months based on the plain stupidity I've seen across the forums. It's not an area to play around too much if you don't know how variables change things.

I went to an auction the other day a three guys got into a pissing match over a box of small rifle primers. I think they said there was 1000 primers in the lot-sold for $300.

I think in 2 years you will be able to buy lots of stuff on the used market, especially guns and reloading equipment. Sounds like a great time for me to get into reloading  >:D. If I buy a reloading set up from a guy missing 3 or 4 fingers do I ask what happen?

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 11:39:30 AM »
Im sitting on a lee turret press with dies for 45lc 45acp 9mm and cant sell it.. It did me wonders when i shot more but now its in a trunk

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
Im sitting on a lee turret press with dies for 45lc 45acp 9mm and cant sell it.. It did me wonders when i shot more but now its in a trunk
Send me a PM - how much do you want for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 03:26:48 PM »
Send me a PM - how much do you want for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not sure ill have to get it out of storage unit. But ill send a pm

Offline slip knot

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »
If Ray passes on it I may be interested. Would be nice to have one for each caliber. :lol_hitting: