Author Topic: Manual Knife Sharpener  (Read 6023 times)

Offline muddy

Manual Knife Sharpener
« on: January 29, 2021, 06:35:46 PM »
I'm looking for a new sharpener. My grandfather and father are great with a stone, and can (could for my grandfather) make a beautiful edge on a blade.

I myself however (blame it on being a millennial....or having A.D.D.H.D. which affects my patience, concentration and fine motor skills) can not keep the right angle for a flat stone to save my life every stroke is different. So I'm looking for something easier for myself.

I'm looking at the pull through style, or the "clamp" (not sure what the true name is) style. I'm leaning more towards the clamp style as it would seem the angle may be more correct. Also Im not sure how well the pull through style does with bigger handled pocket knives. As it seems the body would prevent the back of the blade getting into the sharpener.

Any thing I should be looking for? Like ceramic hones, diamond sharpener... Etc etc?

Here a few I'm looking at.....

Pull throughs.....

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/smiths-adjustable-angle-pull-thru-knife-sharpener

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/smiths-edge-pro-pull-thru-knife-sharpener

"Clamp"? Style

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/smiths-standard-precision-knife-sharpening-system

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/lansky-sharpening-system-standard-kit

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline slip knot

Re: Manual Knife Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:27:24 PM »
I suffer the same problem. the more I sharpen it the duller it gets.

I've had good results with this
https://www.amazon.com/Gatco-10005-5-Stone-sharpening-system/dp/B001DB9CQS

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 08:18:09 PM »
I suffer the same problem. the more I sharpen it the duller it gets.

X2  l have been known to ruin perfectly sharp knife.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 08:44:04 AM »
Is not a stone a manual sharper?

It is just one of those things one must just dick around with. And find their own routine. I do best with a dry stone.  And light to medium pressure.

Oil or wet I end up using too much pressure, cause I don't feel it cutting.

Could use a belt sander, angle grinder, that one most likely use for the lawn mower blade.

Ray or Elroy:  wrote in a post lost when the server went tits up. This tip, hosed the stone down with WD cleans it, works well.

Don't give up
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 09:32:29 AM »
There are tons of knife sharpening methods and tools, but for folks who can't hold the proper angle on a stone I'd recommend a cheap $50 1" belt sander from HF. Belts are relatively cheap and can be had in a wide variety of very fine grits to literally take a blade from blunt or damaged to razor sharp in a few minutes time. Specialty knife honing and stropping belts are also available.

By the time you invest in a set of coarse and fine stones, fixtures, oils, gauges, and other accessories, you'd have paid more than double/triple of what a belt sander and a set of belts cost from HF.

Here is a $25 knife sharpening kit form Amazon that includes belts and fixture for the sander. Not a bad deal ...

https://www.amazon.com/Knife-Sharpening-Sander-Assorted-Sanding/dp/B083Q1GVF6/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=1"+knife+sharpening+sanding+belt+kit&qid=1612128144&sr=8-7

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-61728.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:23:40 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 09:52:40 AM »
My neighbor bought a belt sander system for sharpening and he really likes it. I was looking at the 1x30 belts online and they are pretty cheap and the leather stropping belts are also. I have a Dremel belt sander sitting in a box on a shelf and may have to dig it out and see if it is 1x30. When I carried a Buck on my belt daily I had a hard time keeping it sharp.

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 07:41:36 AM »
I have a GATCO clamp style, its ok. I would think the clamp style would be much better than the pull through. 

I find stone sharpening the best for me, I have a large stone that belonged to my grandfather. I spend thirty min to an hour on a blade about once a month, I find it very calming.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:12:36 PM by highland512 »

Offline ken w.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 11:11:46 AM »
I use a belt sander to sharpen lawn mower blades and axe heads. Works great. With knives I use a carbide V shaped blade tool to straighten the edge , then use a V shaped stone to sharpen it up. It works good.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »
Thanks guys I picked this one up at lowes. I'll give this a go and see how I pick it up.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Smith-s-Standard-Precision-Knife-Sharpening-System/1000027595

I like the belt sander idea. Plus Im sure I could find other uses for it. However right now it is about out of budget for knife sharpening.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »
I use a belt sander to sharpen lawn mower blades

Elroy uses a die grinder with an 80 grit cartridge roll when sharpening curved edge mulching blades.

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 09:44:28 AM »
Have you sharpened anything yet?

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 10:07:50 PM »
Have you sharpened anything yet?
Yes I used it on one of my Case trapper knives. Did a very good job of it. Helped me keep a nice angle.

I tried my other Case knife and the clamp had trouble with angle of the blade itself, it would wiggle in the clamp making it difficult to keep a good angle on the edge.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 11:44:05 AM »
A clamp style like thid is definitely a better choice than a pull through.

Pull through sharpeners suck and only use them to put a quick and dirty rough edge on my machetes.
They never get the right angle, the carbide pull throughs scrape off too much material and leave a very coarse edge, the ones with diamond rods also leave a rough edge, and the ceramic rod models clog up too easily and are hard to clean.

The key to getting a good edge is to work your way through the grits and use a leather strip loaded with green compound as a final step.
With any of my Case Buck and Victorinox knives I can get a hair shaving edge in just a few minutes, but stropping regularly to keep a knife sharp without actually needing to sharpen definitely helps.

Maybe I'm just not noticing it, but I have found I'm plenty consistent with my stones.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Elroy

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 05:59:34 PM »
ceramic rod models clog up too easily and are hard to clean.

If a ceramic rod has a fresh open tooth, they're the ticket to a razor sharp edge. And while they are in deed a pain in the ass to clean..................you need to know the "trick" and then it becomes a simple 30 second job to open up the "tooth". Elroy posted the secret before. Would like Elroy to repost the procedure or do you wish to go searching ?

Piss on that

Read and learn

https://garagegazette.com/index.php?topic=1012.msg10177#msg10177

It works so well no one responded. Try it. you'll like it.

Something else to aware of, Rods come in different grits / qualities so selecting the appropriate "stick" has a big influence on the quality of the edge achieved. You can tell you're in the sweet spot when the blade drags on the "pull". Get your geometry right, tilt the blade slightly steeper and all it takes is one firm pull and each side and you're "shavin"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:12:39 PM by Elroy »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks for re-posting that. It was Elroy who turned me on to the wonderful inside every can of BKF. :great:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 11:35:59 PM »
ceramic rod models clog up too easily and are hard to clean.

If a ceramic rod has a fresh open tooth, they're the ticket to a razor sharp edge. And while they are in deed a pain in the ass to clean..................you need to know the "trick" and then it becomes a simple 30 second job to open up the "tooth". Elroy posted the secret before. Would like Elroy to repost the procedure or do you wish to go searching ?

Piss on that

Read and learn

https://garagegazette.com/index.php?topic=1012.msg10177#msg10177

It works so well no one responded. Try it. you'll like it.

Something else to aware of, Rods come in different grits / qualities so selecting the appropriate "stick" has a big influence on the quality of the edge achieved. You can tell you're in the sweet spot when the blade drags on the "pull". Get your geometry right, tilt the blade slightly steeper and all it takes is one firm pull and each side and you're "shavin"
Standard ceramic rods are great, I was talking about the pull through sharpeners that have 2 little crossed ceramic rods.

I've had good luck soaking them overnight in CLR, but they just clog up way too quickly unless you're just using it once in a while for minor touch up in the field or something.
Always lookin' to learn