Author Topic: Interesting finds from my youth  (Read 5597 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Interesting finds from my youth
« on: January 30, 2021, 07:20:38 PM »
While cleaning up old boxes that have been moved over five times in the last 40 years, I came across these beauties.

They are replica zinc cast firearms made by a Japanese company called MGC (which I think stood for Model Gun Corporation). These firearms were often used as props in movies and plays, and were sold at a local Alexandria VA militaria/replica dealer at the time. They were purchased in 1970 by me and were treasured because they looked, functioned, and felt real. I owned real rifles and shotguns at the time, but wasn’t yet old enough to own handguns. So these were a cheap alternative to owning some classic handguns.

What you see is a replica Colt Python w/ 4” barrel, Waffen SS stamped Walther P38, and a Mauser Werke stamped HSc.

The Python’s blueing is coming off, and the zinc alloy hammer spur disintegrated in my hand when pulled, but everything else works as intended. They all come with a set of brass cartridges and appropriately stamped magazines for the semi-autos.

I haven’t seen these pistol replicas in over 35 years - nice find in my own junk-  LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:24:29 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Heiny57

Re: Interesting finds from my youth
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 08:23:36 PM »
Those are interesting. I assume the bullets didn’t really cycle? Or maybe they did? Those have to be some collector items now.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 08:40:12 PM »
Those are interesting. I assume the bullets didn’t really cycle? Or maybe they did? Those have to be some collector items now.

Thanks Bob, yes they cycle manually. Pull the trigger on the autos and they cycle a cartridge (i.e. eject a chambered round and strip an new one from the magazine).

BTW -- back in the day the company sold caps that could be installed in the front of the brass cartridges (there is an opening milled into the front of the "bullet" for that purpose), and the thing would fire when the trigger was pulled.

Here is how the caps work

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:56:30 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 10:19:32 PM »
Those are pretty realistic. cool that you still got the bullets too. I'm sure those got lost fairly quickly.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 09:55:43 AM »
I always wanted one of those and thought that the .45 was really cool. Never bought one as I just waited until I could buy the real thing.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 06:27:29 PM »
Another great find in that stash of boxes. Not only did I find the original boxes for these replica firearms, but inside were the original receipts. These replicas cost about $28 each  back in 1970. That was a lot of work pumping gas and being a mechanic’s helper after school back then.

One other box revealed my first new Boy Scout knife and hatchet set that I received for Christmas in 1966 - a True Temper camp axe and a Western Cutlery (Boulder CO) Boy Scout knife. These have not seen the light of day since the 1980s. Still in good shape after all these years.

To put this in perspective for the younger members. Back in the day schools would sponsor Boy Scout days, where young scouts could dress up in their uniforms and wear their knives on their belts when going to class. Think about that for a minute and compare it to today’s school system where if you make a gesture of a gun with your fingers, it becomes grounds for expulsion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:07:43 AM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 10:29:42 PM »
That knife and hatchet set was the holy grail of the boy scout catalog in my area. everyone wanted one but nobody had one.

Very nice condition, did you even use it?? :D  I still have my little folder around here somewhere but it looks like hell. my youthful exuberance was kinda hard on it. :lol_hitting:

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 07:20:49 AM »
That knife and hatchet set was the holy grail of the boy scout catalog in my area. everyone wanted one but nobody had one.

Very nice condition, did you even use it?? :D  I still have my little folder around here somewhere but it looks like hell. my youthful exuberance was kinda hard on it. :lol_hitting:

Thanks SL, yes it was THE gear to have when it came to a Scout pecking order at the time. Up until that time I used a CASE fixed blade and pocket folder that was a hand-me-down from my dad. It was beat and abused and nothing to be proud of. When this showed up under the Christmas tree I thought I'd won the lottery. I babied that set and was very careful in using it. That's why it looks so nice.

To be honest, I'd love to still have that old CASE set that was my dad's. It was relegated to the junk drawer after this new set arrived, and I venture to guess that it was scrapped not long after that.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 07:31:27 AM »
I always wanted one of those and thought that the .45 was really cool. Never bought one as I just waited until I could buy the real thing.

Yes, I thought about it as well but I knew that owning a real Python or genuine WWII vintage German firearm would be way above my pay grade for many years to come. So I went the "instant gratification" route. My dad did own a few budget priced H&R and Sears revolvers at the time that I could shoot if I wanted to scratch that pistol shooting itch.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 08:24:15 AM »
very cool stuff!

better yet that you have history with it.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 09:04:07 AM »
very cool stuff!

better yet that you have history with it.

One of the luxuries of having some time to prepare for a move to a new home. We moved four times in the last 25 years and each time it was a rush job and a devilish experience due to work schedules and real estate selling pressures. Boxes were often packed, stacked, stored, and some of them were never opened again. I can't count of how many "lost" tools I found in recent years in boxes that were packed decades ago.

This time we have time on our side and we get to go through old boxes and do a thorough inventory of what to keep and what to dump. We're determined to not take any more random unopened boxes with us this time. I've already taken numerous pickup truck loads to the recycling center while my wife has done the same; taking numerous trips to Goodwill and the Salvation Army.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:05:38 AM by goodfellow »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
BTW -- My wife just reminded me that these Christmas gifts were purchased in 1966 by redeeming S&H Green Stamps at a local S&H catalog store. How many of you older farts remember browsing and shopping at the S&H store and through the catalog?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:20:21 AM by goodfellow »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 09:37:13 AM »
Dayum!! MGC (Model Gun Corp.) made some realistic submachine pistols. I didn't know these existed. Full automatic open bolt blowback cycling action using caps -- wow!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:39:04 AM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 12:04:25 PM »
We had S&H Green Stamps but more merchants gave out Blue Chip Stamps in our area of SoCal.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 05:26:09 PM »
I remember Mom and Dad collecting S&H Green Stamps at the store and gas station but the store where I worked as a carry-out boy/shelf stocker had TrueValue.

These must have been an early customer loyalty gimmick.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
I remember S&H green stamps! We moved in 1972 when I was a kid so it must have been prior to that.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 06:40:40 PM »
S&H greenstamps and shamrock gas station dishes. still got a set of those drinking glasses.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 08:05:09 PM »
S&H greenstamps and shamrock gas station dishes. still got a set of those drinking glasses.

LOL --- I think my mom's entire everyday drinking glassware came from gas station promotions.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 10:32:12 AM »

LOL --- I think my mom's entire everyday drinking glassware came from gas station promotions.

I have very nice glasses that were my parents and they came from the Atlantic Richfield (now Arco) station run by dad's best friend and where I worked in high school.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 09:23:14 PM »
Elroy has an ice cream scoop received from the local Goodyear tire dealer when Dad put new tires on his 67 Galaxie 500. It's a nice "tool" marked Made in USA