Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688291 times)

Offline muddy

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1515 on: July 04, 2020, 11:09:10 PM »
Pulled the top end for "Cooling system issue, bubbling in overflow tank when I stop and let it idle after driving it."

You're thinking it's combustion leak pushing past the head gasket.

Rear arrow looks like a combustion trace next to the water jacket, the others  also look like a combustion trace.

Head bolts loose, were they torqued after first heat cycle? Maybe get the head serviced, surface ground.

Thanks Pep and Muddy for weighing in , I will look closer at that. Motor was done long time ago so don't remember on retorque. It will this time. Using ARP head bolts also. Bolts seemed loose to me?
When I did my first forklift engine cylinder head I was kinda blown away that cylinder head bolts where only like 40 or 50 ft lbs. I was used to doing diesels and bigger gas engines... 150 + ft lbs.

If they didn't take a good bit of effort to break loose then I'd say they were under spec. I'm assuming something of that age doesn't use torque to yield that the bolts could have been stretched and reused?

Like pepi said maybe they weren't retorqued after the first heat cycle. Then again 30yrs maybe it just finally gave up.

Installed properly you'll never have a problem with ARP.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #1516 on: July 04, 2020, 11:32:53 PM »
Took Sam out on his first boat ride, then him and the super stars went swimming while my father and I did some fishing. (Didn't catch anything but weeds and a nice ran)

Then we did the typical July 4th thing...burgers and sparklers!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:36:08 PM by muddy »

Offline walrus

« Reply #1517 on: July 05, 2020, 04:07:26 AM »
Pulled the top end for "Cooling system issue, bubbling in overflow tank when I stop and let it idle after driving it."

You're thinking it's combustion leak pushing past the head gasket.

Rear arrow looks like a combustion trace next to the water jacket, the others  also look like a combustion trace.

Head bolts loose, were they torqued after first heat cycle? Maybe get the head serviced, surface ground.

Thanks Pep and Muddy for weighing in , I will look closer at that. Motor was done long time ago so don't remember on retorque. It will this time. Using ARP head bolts also. Bolts seemed loose to me?
When I did my first forklift engine cylinder head I was kinda blown away that cylinder head bolts where only like 40 or 50 ft lbs. I was used to doing diesels and bigger gas engines... 150 + ft lbs.

If they didn't take a good bit of effort to break loose then I'd say they were under spec. I'm assuming something of that age doesn't use torque to yield that the bolts could have been stretched and reused?

Like pepi said maybe they weren't retorqued after the first heat cycle. Then again 30yrs maybe it just finally gave up.

Installed properly you'll never have a problem with ARP.

I know head bolts were reused and I'm sure they were torqued to spec at the time. I'm wondering if gasket simply compressed over the years? No way they were 80 to 90 ft lbs when I loosened them. ARP claims no retorque unless gasket manufacturer requires it. Trying to figure out if fel pro requires it. ARP specs are 100 ft lbs with there lube on threads. Ordered correct ARP bolt sealant also. Ordered a straight edge to check deck and heads, I don't believe there is an issue with that but might as well check. Changing valve stem seals not sure if I should lap valves or not?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1518 on: July 05, 2020, 06:12:48 AM »
Were the valve guide seals done on the rebuild, now having 10K on them..... plugs dry... seals are good. Motor has not over heated, during this this time, flat edge check most likely will pass.

Just for grins check the deck with with the flat edge.

Head gaskets fully compressed when installed, use a good grade, they are cheep enough.

90ftlb .... would have thought a buck 25.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #1519 on: July 05, 2020, 06:50:44 AM »
Were the valve guide seals done on the rebuild, now having 10K on them.

They've also got 30 years on 'em which is pushing it for elastomeric seals. Changing them out while the heads are off is cheap insurance.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1520 on: July 05, 2020, 07:13:46 AM »
Were the valve guide seals done on the rebuild, now having 10K on them.

They've also got 30 years on 'em which is pushing it for elastomeric seals. Changing them out while the heads are off is cheap insurance.
Thats my thought. I pushed on one with a screwdriver I figured it would be hard but still fairly soft. I'm still changing them. Heads got hardened seats, valves, guides, springs, retainers during rebuild.  The shafts and rockers were not changed.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #1521 on: July 05, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »
Threw together a leakdown tester with some stuff I had laying around. The results were a lot better than I expected. The mower this Kohler came out of was trashed.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1522 on: July 08, 2020, 02:57:55 PM »
I had to work today,  but when I got home I did something I will always enjoy .

Laugh ityou want, but I played with some new Hotwheels I found on clearance today, I currently have 153 unopened Hotwheels at this point ( not counting other brands of die cast cars, or the opened ones )  but these ones aren't your average hot wheels .
I hope you're wearing your glasses  ;)
  :-\
There are actually 4 series of " worlds smallest Hotwheels " miniature diecast cars,  I have the 4 types of set thet offer but they are available with different cars and  I don't know how many different cars have been offered since they debuted in 2017.
When I find out you can bet I'm gonna do my best to acquire them all.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:05:28 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1523 on: July 08, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »
I'm not laughing as I still have mine from the 60's. I should dig them out to see if I have any of the valuable ones. I also still have my small slot cars but no track. I think they might be Aurora's?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1524 on: July 08, 2020, 09:31:42 PM »
I'm not laughing as I still have mine from the 60's. I should dig them out to see if I have any of the valuable ones. I also still have my small slot cars but no track. I think they might be Aurora's?
Those original Hotwheels redlines are worth some money , of course it depends on condition and model and if it's an American made or Hong Kong made car.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:33:14 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline walrus

« Reply #1525 on: July 11, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
Valve stem seals installed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #1526 on: July 11, 2020, 06:19:33 PM »
Is that a 390 or 428?

Offline walrus

« Reply #1527 on: July 11, 2020, 06:41:13 PM »

Offline muddy

« Reply #1528 on: July 11, 2020, 10:29:10 PM »
Only thing productive I did today was mow the lawn and buy a new pair of sneakers.... Yes the cheapo bought the pair that was $80 but clearanced to $20

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #1529 on: July 11, 2020, 11:21:37 PM »
Stopped at a yard sale while cycling and got a free True Temper construction grade 6 cu footer (with a bottom full of cement and some rust). $3 Milwaukee reversible drill, and a 25c 10" Crescent adj wrench. A few yard tools made it my way, and before you know it I had to say "I'll be back with my truck".

Score!