Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 670356 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1530 on: July 12, 2020, 12:41:33 AM »
^Good haul at the sale. Having to return with a bigger rig is always a real achievement.

Changed the oil in my primary shop compressor for the first time in way too many years. Cursed the design because there wasn't a way to drain it without making a giant mess. Sucked 1.5 qts with a bottle pump, and had to mop the other qt off the tank and try to get it out from where it ran under the pump. It'll be a mess for a long time, Rust proofing I guess. Filled her up with full synthetic ISO 46 non detergent. Says 20k hr/3 yr rated, so I won't worry about it again for way too long.

After I mopped most of it up

I spent a few minutes and made up an extension so next time is easier and cleaner. A compo of an oddball pipe fitting and a M10 threaded piece I made soldered on to screw in the pump.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1531 on: July 12, 2020, 05:38:09 AM »
Yesterday we did a 350km round trip to hoon around a 100 acre maize paddock. It was a local community fundraiser with utv's and quads on Saturday and motorbikes and quads today. They had a 10km track set up and we would have done at least 100km.

Getting there was a bit interesting, left home before 5am and once we got over the hill into the Waikato it was very foggy.

Coming home was much nicer (Arapuni Dam)

Today I went to my god sister's (for want of a better description) daughter's 4th birthday party.

Stopped on the way home to drop some bits off to one of our off-road racing club members. He showed me what he is working on at the moment. He is changing the turbos and wastegates on a V10 engined ski racing boat.

It is a Ford V10 and is twin turbo'ed and intercooled. It is in a 18' hull and will pull two skiers at 110mph.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:29:55 PM by Rural53 »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1532 on: July 12, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »
LMAO ......is it possible to not change oil, any oil on anything without spilling oil .....?..... not found a way yet & have had plenty of practice.

Was just thinking I need to do the same, ben a year.
Was not aware of full synthetic ISO 46 non detergent, need to look into it. 

Reading more, cannot use it for mine, so back to plain A. reg oil change. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:43:58 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1533 on: July 12, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »
110 is way fast in a boat, but way too damn fast on waterskis. Ill jus watch that. nonparticipant here.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #1534 on: July 12, 2020, 12:51:58 PM »
That boat looks insane!

Pep, I have subscribed to the new snake oil sales points and begun running lighter weight synthetic in everything. Compressors and pumps have always called for SAE 30, and ISO 46 is quite a bit thinner. I've had no issues. It seems like all the OEM's are approving lighter oil retroactively for tons of things. John Deere JD20C spec covers about half the spinning devices on earth. Oil weight is a pretty hot topic when you start asking around. lol

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1535 on: July 12, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »
110 is way fast in a boat, but way too damn fast on waterskis. Ill jus watch that. nonparticipant here.

Here is some Facebook video of it running https://www.facebook.com/shortywitheford/posts/2340159976299228

Offline walrus

« Reply #1536 on: July 12, 2020, 04:40:50 PM »
I want to see it pulling to waterskiers at 110 MPH, no F'ing way. You'd have to be the strongest sumbitch alive.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1537 on: July 12, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
At that speed you don't even need skis just go barefoot.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1538 on: July 12, 2020, 07:23:14 PM »
I want to see it pulling to waterskiers at 110 MPH, no F'ing way. You'd have to be the strongest sumbitch alive.

No you don't just lean back further LMAO, changing the angle of attack.

@gtermini
So, ISO 46 being quite a bit thinner. Would not the bearing tolerances need to be tighter ?  Just throwing the ISO 46 into an old pump, not such a good idea.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1539 on: July 12, 2020, 07:52:29 PM »

You don't hold on to the handle like a normal skier. You hold a strap behind you. Yes, these guys are clinically insane!

Offline gtermini

« Reply #1540 on: July 12, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
I think the new synthetics do a better job wetting out and maintaining thin film in bearings than traditional dead dino juice. I've been running synthetic in all flavors of worn my worn out junk for the last 10-15 years and haven't had a failure relating to lube yet. I worked on a big farm that run a lot of old junk equipment and the boss was a believer in the synthetic diet for everything. Never saw a failure due to oil there and it sold me on synthetic. We had a fleet of JD combines with 5k plus hard hours, they'd hardly push 10lbs of oil pressure at idle running 5w40 full synthetic schaeffers, but would run flat out 600 hrs a summer on a single oil change and then have clean analysis come back in the spring when we'd pull them out of the shed with the prior season's oil in them. Seems like engines are always a little quieter when switched over to synthetic to me at least. IDK mostly just a dumb country boy's opinion on it.

I can't imagine getting my legs swept at 100mph by that belt when you eat crap. Nuts sounds being generous about the mental condition of anybody that would strap themselves to that. I love it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1541 on: July 13, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
Today I rehandled my Buck model 212 fixed ranger in stacked black leather.

It had their classic black phenolic handle before which just felt too fat to me, iirc they're using the same handle for the 103 skinner on these.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #1542 on: July 14, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
this was from the end of last week...100 year old lock brought in to be rekeyed. These are called unit locks, they slide into a door as one unit. Had to remove the knob and disassemble to make a key. Works just perfectly now!

I realize the video is not great, took it with my phone in its case which has a little kickstand.

Offline john k

« Reply #1543 on: July 14, 2020, 06:31:44 PM »
Ready to leave for the city this morning, my 08 Jeep failed to crank over.   Bought it new and still had the OEM battery,  knew this day was coming.  It failed the load test, so did a quick switch out with another car that lives here.  In 5 months it would have turned 13 years old.  This beat  the other longest lasting batt I have owned by a year.   Jeep has 221,000 on it,  think I got my moneys worth.   Can remember when a batt was iffy at 5 years of age.   Someone here can probably beat this.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1544 on: July 14, 2020, 07:44:49 PM »
Today I rehandled my Buck model 212 fixed ranger in stacked black leather.

It had their classic black phenolic handle before which just felt too fat to me, iirc they're using the same handle for the 103 skinner on these.

Nice job!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk