Author Topic: Cleaning the rust out of the gas tank on my tiller.  (Read 6164 times)

Offline m_fumich

Cleaning the rust out of the gas tank on my tiller.
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:07:18 PM »
As I’ve mentioned in another thread, I’m trying to get my tiller running after letting it sit for 2 years. There’s quite a bit of rust in the gas tank.

I soaked the tank in Evapo-Rust. What I can see inside the tank looks pretty good but there’s still some rust. But what I can feel inside but not see is unacceptable. I used ER because I heard great things about it. I’ve never used it before. I decided to see if The Project Farm had done a comparison with other products and they had. I should have watched that first. It looks like Krud Kutter would have done a better job. I’m going to see what a couple hands full of sand will do. I’ll wait until I’m done with the tiller for the year then I’ll take the tank off and clean it again with Krud Kutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Cleaning the rust out of the gas tank on my tiller.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 08:36:18 AM »
I cleaned a tank one time with pea gravel and a little water and shaking the heck out it.
Didn't get it perfect but it was serviceable.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:47:10 AM »
I cleaned a tank one time with pea gravel and a little water and shaking the heck out it.
Didn't get it perfect but it was serviceable.
That’s what I’m going to attempt but with sand. It might take a bit longer but I want a smoother result.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 10:50:44 AM »
Years ago I had a radiator shop hot tank and coat the interior and exterior of a gas tank from a Ford 8N.  This also repaired a bunch of pinholes. 

Not sure what they used to coat the tank, but there are several DIY products for this.  Eastwood sells some. I later found a new repop tank for about the same price as I paid the shop.

I wonder if a plastic tank from another small engine might be the way to go.  It wouldn't look stock, but who cares, its a tiller.  Would save a bunch of work.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
I wonder if a plastic tank from another small engine might be the way to go.  It wouldn't look stock, but who cares, its a tiller.  Would save a bunch of work.

If the gas tank were simply a gas reservoir, I’d consider that. But this is one of those engines where the carb bolts to the top of the tank and sucks gas directly from it instead of having a fuel line between the tank and the carb.

Offline ron350

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 02:51:41 PM »
I have herd of using Krud kutter and a few hundred B-B’s.

Will you ever be able to get all of the sand out?

Offline m_fumich

Cleaning the rust out of the gas tank on my tiller.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 02:55:14 PM »
I have herd of using Krud kutter and a few hundred B-B’s.

Will you ever be able to get all of the sand out?
I got all the loose rust out. Sand shouldn’t be a problem. I didn’t thing about using BB’s. I have a box of those.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:53:30 PM by m_fumich »

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 11:52:30 PM »
The sand proved to be too fine of a medium to get the job done as quickly as I’d like. I’ll try the BB’s tomorrow.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 10:51:45 PM »
The best I've seen is get your abrasive in side. And strap the tank to a tractor wheel and run the tractor in gear. Make sure you have it up on sturdy jack stands of course.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline ken w.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 08:53:49 AM »
It's been my experience with putting sand in a gas tank is you can never get the sand out. There is always grit in the tank. I have had good luck with muiatic  acid . It doesn't take long. And as long as you keep gas in it it shouldn't rust again.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 09:11:31 AM »
It's been my experience with putting sand in a gas tank is you can never get the sand out. There is always grit in the tank. I have had good luck with muiatic  acid . It doesn't take long. And as long as you keep gas in it it shouldn't rust again.
I tried the sand. The only way I had to agitate the tank was by hand. That was going to take WAY too long. I dumped the sand and rinsed out the tank. I did get every bit of the sand out. Once that tank was dry, there wasn’t the slightest bit in the tank. There’s still rust in the tank but I’ll clean it with muratic acid when I’m done with the tiller for the season.

Offline nonhog

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 10:16:32 PM »
still rust? how much? wonder if vinegar will do? works great just not as fast or toxic.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 10:21:21 PM »
still rust? how much? wonder if vinegar will do? works great just not as fast or toxic.
I’m not rude how much rust is left. I can’t see it but I can feel it when I stick my finger in the top and feel the area around the opening.

I used Evapo- Rust. The only think that removes rust better is Krud Kutter and muratic acid. Check out this video from Project Farm. He did a comparison of several products including vinegar and Coke.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »

So what if it's toxic......... and how ?

Fumes avoid inhaling it, he's not going to drink it.  Seems to be the logical and common sense way of avoiding the toxicity. If it were true and it very well maybe, and I say again so what ....?

The suggestion put forth, vinegar calming, insinuating is a better method. You have no clue if it even works.

Suggest you try it, and get back to us, if it fails, you have only wasted your own time.

All these nannies today are the toxic ones. Without facts or experiences,  pollute conversations.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 07:29:44 AM »
Vinegar has its uses. I believe more than one of you has used it to clean rust from tools. The major down side is that it takes LOTS of time is only really effective on light rust.