Author Topic: Some 1/4 drive goodness came in the mail today.  (Read 6146 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Some 1/4 drive goodness came in the mail today.
« on: April 27, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
I made a trade with a forum member for these.

Got a Napa universal to go in my more beater type box.

An Easco 71 1102 which I'm guessing is 70's-80's vintage based on it's mechanical similarities to the Craftsman's they were producing at that time.
I quite like it, it's like a Craftsman 1/4" with the things I don't like about them having been fixed.

And the Thorsen 77m, man I already love the little bugger.
I tell ya it's the first time I ever thought to call a tool " cute ", I thought to but of course i didn't because I'm not my grandmother  ;D
It's buttery smooth and the handle i actually kind of love  considering the ratchets size, it's no Wright 2426 but it's a nice little ratchet.

Lastly there's the Frankenstein which I guess was a 70's Oxwall product ?
If they actually manufactured it themselves it's probably the only Oxwall tool I'd wanna have to use.
It's very tall headed but I like it and could see myself being fine with it we're it my only 1/4 ratchet.
It seems like it would hold up.
I probably won't use it much, but it's cool at least.

I may have to throw together some kind of little pocket sized kit for the 77m.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:40:31 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Some 1/4 drive goodness came in the mail today.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
great trade -- some excellent tool history in that assortment!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »
Loving the frankie unit (prolly Wright made) - I'd say it's a low torque tool only. And the Thorsen open gear is a real gem.

Here's a teardown of the frankie unit in case you ever need to clean and lube it.
Pop the press-fit collar off the front and remove the gear out the back. Unscrew the handle to release the ball and spring, then you can slide out the rod pawl.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:40:31 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »
Loving the frankie unit (prolly Wright made) - I'd say it's a low torque tool only. And the Thorsen open gear is a real gem.

Here's a teardown of the frankie unit in case you ever need to clean and lube it.
Pop the press-fit collar off the front and remove the gear out the back. Unscrew the handle to release the ball and spring, then you can slide out the rod pawl.
Quality seems too good for Oxwall to have been responsible like has been speculated, it's unmarked.
I will tell you it's pretty smooth all things considered, that is to say it's not really stiff or anything.

That little 77m sure is a real gem.
I'm really really liking the Easco for some reason.
I've only seen another for sale once, but that's probably just because the round heads and paintbrush handles are so much more common.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:28:57 PM »
I've had two. The first I grabbed because I saw it on the forum. It was too cool to use, so I sold it. Then regretted it, and came across another. But it never got used, so I sold it along with an S-K 3/8" frankie not long ago.
I was going to modify an aluminum tube for a long handle, and make it a flex somehow, but then figured the gear wouldn't take the torque so the idea just went bye-bye.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 08:48:15 PM »
I've had two. The first I grabbed because I saw it on the forum. It was too cool to use, so I sold it. Then regretted it, and came across another. But it never got used, so I sold it along with an S-K 3/8" frankie not long ago.
I was going to modify an aluminum tube for a long handle, and make it a flex somehow, but then figured the gear wouldn't take the torque so the idea just went bye-bye.
I wonder why these are such a mystery ?

Anyways here's something I came up with for the little 77m, I don't know if I'll stick to this but it certainly works.

If I remember correctly this thing came with staples In it,  anyways it just barely holds the ratchet and about a dozen sockets.
It's definitely real pocketable, it may be something good to keep in my backpack at work.
There's always loose screws and nuts on things there.
My 4" adjustable has come in handy on more than a few occasions as has my 6 in 1 and the Channellock 426 ( which haven't rusted on me like i thought they might )

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:46:24 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
The Easco is nice but that Thorsen is a gem, a truly great ratchet. I had one of the Frankenstein ratchets but got rid of it pretty quick. Your luck might be better. It isn't Wright made, they are a bit beefier.

Altogether a nice trade.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »
The Easco is nice but that Thorsen is a gem, a truly great ratchet. I had one of the Frankenstein ratchets but got rid of it pretty quick. Your luck might be better. It isn't Wright made, they are a bit beefier.

Altogether a nice trade.
Thanks for the info.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline busch308

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 07:56:59 PM »
I'm glad that you're enjoying the ratchets. I had fun finding them and cleaning them up. It's good to know their new owner is going to use them.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 10:02:21 PM »
I'm glad that you're enjoying the ratchets. I had fun finding them and cleaning them up. It's good to know their new owner is going to use them.
I just finished using that Easco ratchet with a Craftsman 1/4 bit spinner attached.

I can't explain why but this Easco ratchet has really clicked with me for some reason.
I had my grandfather's old indestro in my box out in the garage but.i really do think I should probably retire it to very occasional light use.
This Easco i think is probably the perfect ratchet  to replace it for my use out in the garage.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »
I would definitely "retire" it if it has sentimental value. Lots of ratchets could replace it but none would be your grandfathers. I "acquired" a bunch of my father in laws things but they are "put up" for passing on to my son and son in law and possibly other son in laws if that comes when the time comes.

I do like the look of that little wright unit. I'll be on the look out as $29 just seems like a lot to a cheap "bastid" like me. I like the kobalt brand that are like the Armstrong. I have a couple 1/4" and a 1/2" drive. Still hunting a "less expensive" 3/8".
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »
I would definitely "retire" it if it has sentimental value. Lots of ratchets could replace it but none would be your grandfathers. I "acquired" a bunch of my father in laws things but they are "put up" for passing on to my son and son in law and possibly other son in laws if that comes when the time comes.

I do like the look of that little wright unit. I'll be on the look out as $29 just seems like a lot to a cheap "bastid" like me. I like the kobalt brand that are like the Armstrong. I have a couple 1/4" and a 1/2" drive. Still hunting a "less expensive" 3/8".
The Indestro just doesn't work as well as it used to, and that's why I may retire it.
 I prefer to use his tools just as he did and the sentimental.value adds joy to using them, but I don't abuse them or anything.
Always lookin' to learn