Author Topic: New Harbor Freight’s Icon Brand Sockets  (Read 19087 times)

Offline GNAP

New Harbor Freight’s Icon Brand Sockets
« on: September 26, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »
Today, after all of the hub-bub on the web about the new Icon brand hand tools, that are being introduced by Harbor Freight, I bought a set each of the standard (shallow) fractional and metric, 1/4” drive sockets, cost was about $25 (per tax). Here are a few first impressions;

First - they seemed to spare no expense on the packaging, a heavy plastic outer box, that has 2 Philips screws holding the lid down and a heavy blow molded socket tray, for those who use them in their tool box drawers. Personally, I’m not impressed by packaging, its the product that matters. They probable could have been $5 cheaper, without the extensive packaging. Then again, many will probably, think this is an asset.

Second - they seem well made and the chrome seems very heavy and is very well done. They have the rounded corners, think Snap-On flank drive, and the actual fit and finish is excellent. The detention for the locking ball on the ratchet and extensions is cut, not formed. The broaching is very similar to the majority of the import socket (these are made in Taiwan) having a rounded countersunk style bottom of the socket throat, Sockets are stamped very clearly with the size and the metric socket have the line pattern, similar to Snap-On, Craftsman and others.

Third - I thought the socket pricing for the sets, was very good, less than the pricing on the similar sets offered by Lowe’s on the Craftsman products. They also are not skipping sizes in the metric offerings.

Fourth - I also looked at the wrenches, they seem very nice, but the pricing seems on the high side. The set, while complete, are priced unrealistically compared to the sockets, the complete set of the metric ratcheting wrenches is about $150, seems high to me.

Fifth - as Harbor Freight is a California based company, with reportedly over 1000 current outlets, the Icon tool release has been real slow, here in the Northeast USA. Not all of the socket sets or wrench sets are even currently in stock and except for a few breaker bars and previously released Icon products, we have absolutely no ratchets of any size or type. While this maybe understandable, because of the size of the operation, all of the latest paperwork, that comes in the mail, all of the company emails and other web posting, show and tout their new offerings and the current availability.
jack

Offline bonneyman

Re: New Harbor Freight’s Icon Brand Sockets
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »
Thanks for the impressions, Jack. From looking on-line I, too, think the sockets are the best value, and am one who would like the tough packaging. It'd probably do well in the work truck. I also agree that the wrenches are a bit over priced.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »
I like those super long ratchet wrenches. As far as the sockets and ratchets, i like the looks of them but idk about the value. Seems by the time you buy short and deep metric and standard and a ratchet you could have gotten a gearwrench set and saved a few bucks or tekton and saved ALOT. Idk how they conpare though.

Offline walrus

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 02:13:34 PM »
150 bucks for harbor freight wrenches seems way high to me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »

+1 == I'm wondering if they will allow the use of their 20-25% coupons on these ICON tools.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 05:11:14 PM »
I saw the Icon ratchets, in person this morning, they had just arrived (FedEx) about 15 minutes before I got there. I saw the whole line, they are a little less than I had anticipated, they seem to be nothing more than a slight upgrade to the Pittsburgh Pro line, with a few more models, at about twice the price.

I know the pawl operating design is different than the Pittsburgh, but they look very close to it. The chrome did look nice and they were smooth, but pricing seems on the high side. Maybe I just jaded by the Pittsburgh Pro pricing and performance.

So far the sockets seem to be the most realistically priced part of the products offered, with the wrench’s and ratchets, over priced about 20%.
jack

Offline GNAP

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 05:13:15 PM »

+1 == I'm wondering if they will allow the use of their 20-25% coupons on these ICON tools.

No Icon is on the exclusion list, apparently there are 10% off hand tool coupons, but no one at the local store has seen one
jack

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:51:21 PM »
They key claiming "tool truck quality unbeatable prices"

I'm kinda temped to buy one and use it as my daily at work to see how it holds up.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:57:31 PM by muddy »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »
Jack I am curious, after all that heavy lifting. Did you stop in and have some fried rice ?  ;D

Can't be going to HF and by pass the chinese restaurant. That would be breaking the 11th commandment.

Thanks for the comments regarding HF's new product.

LOL

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
I'll stick with my old Craftsman and MAC stuff since I have so much of it. That said, many young techs at the local shops are using HF boxes, as well as their hand and power tools. Overall, the Taiwanese made HF products are good quality. Whether this new line of tools will measure up to traditional US made professional tool brands? -- my opinion; probably not. HF has a habit of switching suppliers and designs on a regular basis. What's on the shelf right now may not be available in the same format and quality two/three years from now. SO, MAC, MATCO, Cornwell, etc. have been selling the same basic design and fit/finish for decades.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
I have view most of the new Icon hand tool offerings and own a couple of sets of sockets, I think they are both very nice looking, well made and have an interesting pricing structure. But I also believe that Harbor Freight has a few major issues that have to be dealt with.

1 - at this time, except for ratchets, they sell only sets, IMO for the Icon tool line to be a true success, they need to sell individual sockets and wrenches.

2 - the current Icon tool line has only basic hand tools, sockets, wrenches, sockets and a couple of torque wrenches, hardly enough to outfit a modern auto mechanic. Reportedly screwdrivers are in the pipe line, but when and will they be any good. Specialized tooling is needed for many operations and repairs on todays cars.

3 - while compared to Snap-On, Mac, Matco and others, the Icon tool boxes are roughly a 1/3 of the price of a similar tool boxes, from the others. But OMG, the Icon tool box set shown at the local Harbor Freight, if you add up the parts is roughly $9000, I’ve bought houses and new cars for less. Maybe I biased, I never saw the need or desire for the Taj Mahal type of tool box, they don’t make you a better mechanic, its an ego or prestige thing.

While I own some of them, I’ve never been bitten hard by the Snap-On bug or drank the Kool-Aid, 3 of the best mechanics I’ve ever known, have worked for years with mostly Craftsman, SK and other similarly priced tools and only bought the specialty items needed. As one of them used to tell his son, also a mechanic, that fastener has no idea what brand of wrench being used on it. He also said that the reason he ate as well as you did and lived in a comfortable home, while growing up was I was willing to live with a $12 Craftsman wrench, instead of a $60 Snap-On wrench, they both do the same job.

According to the local car guys, there is a M-B mechanic at the local dealership that has somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000+, in a top of the line Snap-On tool box wall, that to me is scary. How do you own a box like that and still afford to put tools in it??
jack

Offline walrus

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 05:34:01 PM »
I can understand why mechanics have monster tool boxes. You need a lot of tools to work on new cars if you are flat rate. Short sockets, mid length sockets, deep sockets, same in wrenches, ratchets of all lengths and sizes, the list goes on. If you don't have all those tools you can get stuck on a job and make no money. I can also see going over board and throwing  50% ( I figure you can sell for 50 cents on the dollar) of your hard earned dollars away.

I doubt I'll buy any icon stuff, My box is snap on, Mac, HF and Extreme. Its a bunch of stuff that doesn't match but holds tools. My tools are every manufacturer but I do have a soft spot for Snap On . No screwdriver is as good as a hard handle.  :))

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 11:15:08 PM »
My initial impression on them is they're nice, but hit right at the same price point as USA Williams (house branded snappy). Given that situation, I'll buy Williams (or Proto or Wright or whatever USA lifetime warranty) every single time.

The only advantage garbage freight holds in this situation is being able to drive 15 min to the store for warranty, but that's still sort of a hassle compared to the rape van. He's happy to take a double handful of busted crap, sort it out, hand me direct replacements without any trouble, and do it all while pulled up out front.

I agree fully on the singles. I try to keep darn good control on my tools, and still have to replace missing individual sockets yearly. Plus there are many things where I like to leave a certain quality socket and ratchet dedicated for something permanently in a rig or something.

I'll be curious to see if they drop sets of impact sockets. The snappys are ever so slightly thinner and it's amazing how often that makes a difference in whether they'll fit or not. If HF can't come up with something comparable, they're going to miss a lot of sales.

Just my $.02 and not even worth half that.

Offline fedwrench

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 04:38:27 PM »
I picked up some ICON tools earlier this month before they were on display and sitting in boxes in the stock room. I like whet I've purchased. Are ICON tools going to make you sell off off your existing truck brand tools? Certainly not but, I think they are a viable option. The average Harbor Freight customer will get sticker shock at ICON tool pricing and that's ok. The ICON line up is solidly made in Taiwan. Now, I know most of you wince at the mere mention of Taiwan tools and that's ok but, the truth of the matter is there isn't a whole lot of new products coming out from US tool manufacturers lately But, I digress. Back to ICON, everyone seems to be bitching about the price of the long pattern ratcheting wrench set. I guess people think $149.99 is too much for a 10-19 mm set. I say it's not. I paid $132.25 for my set before tax. It was $146.95 minus a 10% coupon. Back to the ratcheting wrench set, you can get these with or without the anti slip open end. Think PROTO or Dewalt style anti slip open end style on the long pattern combination reversible ratcheting wrenches. When I say long pattern, these wrenches are even longer than the current snap on ratcheting combination wrenches. An ICON 13 mm ratcheting wrench is 9 3/8 inches long. The wrenches have great chrome, nice, large size markings on both sides of the wrench, and have nice balance & feel. Yes, they are probably the most expensive wrenches ever sold by Harbor Freight but, i still like them.
As for the ICON ratchets, i picked up a few of those and are quite happy with them I really like the 14.5 inch long all metal handle 3/8 drive flex head 90 tooth ratchet. It has excellent chrome, nice balance & feel. Neither Tekton nor Carlyle offer a ratchet like this. If i was to pick at one thing on the ratchets, it would be the direction switch. It's pretty tall and on the flex head ratchets there's a pretty good sized gap between the switch and the ratchet head. I fear it might not survive impact from a swam dive off of a lift arm but time will tell. I would have preferred a recessed direction switch but that's just me. The fixed head ratchets have a slightly different selector switch. At $49.99 before using a 10% off coupon is cheaper than a Craftsman flex head ratchet form lowes that isn't finished nearly as nicely.
Back to ratcheting wrenches, this time the stubbies. The reversible stubby ratcheting wrenches are truly a joy to use in tight quarters or low torque applications. Crisp 72 tooth action, great chrome, nice feel. I only wish the set included an 8 mm  like more expensive sets from Tekton and Blackhawk do. Regular long pattern combination wrench sets: To me the set with the anti slip open ends are twins to the Carlyle version sod by NAPA. Since I already have the Carlyle's, I passed  on the ICON regular combination wrenches for now. Hopefully ICON offerings will increase.I have no real interest in their mega tool box wall although it looks beefy. I would be interested in an ICON tool cart though. Something like a KRSC46 series with 6 or 7 drawers, a deep top till, locking lid, and pry bar storage. Lastly, the ICON packaging is overkill at best and most likely anti theft in nature. Yes, they could use regular hang tags for the ratchets but, more would probably turn up missing. I would like to see the socket sett on rails though but, that's just me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:41:43 PM by fedwrench »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
Lots of discussion on the web about the new ICON offerings. From what I have read so far -- the new ICON line is a "hit" with serious amateurs and pros alike.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 08:06:38 PM »
Yeah Fedwrench, I hear you. Not much at all new on the US domestic front except whatever S-K puts out (after long lead times). I'm really sorry Western Forge didn't/doesn't start releasing tools now that they're under ideal. They did alot of the Craftsman stuff - why can't they start up those lines again under a new name?

I don't have a problem with Taiwan tools at all. If they're solid and available, I'd grab 'em if I needed them. I have far too many used U.S.A vintage ratchets to buy HF's, but like I said earlier their socket sets are tempting. Especially the deep metrics. Can't have too many of those. Since I never really used my quality mechanics tools for HVAC work - and the specialty stuff is now just gathering dust - I'm really not in the market for any more big tool purchases. But if I pick up a hands-on job anywhere I'd probably grab a set of deep metrics in 1/4" and 3/8" drive so I don't have to take my Bonney's away from home.
For ratcheting wrenches I'd probably go Tekton, as with any new screwdriver needs.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »
Today, I bought 2 of the 14 piece sets of the Icon brand SAE wrenches (1/4” - 1”), the store manager, took pity on me and gave me a manager’s discount, which was roughly 30% off the total price. So I paid about $140 plus tax. I started to use the Icon brand 3/8” drive SAE shallow sockets, in the truck tool bag last week, the wrenches, 1/4” to 3/4” (2 of each), will be the new truck tool bag wrenches. We shall see how they work out.

I had also bought the 3/8” drive comfort-grip flex head ratchet (short length) earlier in the week, it seems good, I won’t use it in the truck tool bag, I’m too use to the Harbor Freight composite ratchets, to change now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:47:15 AM by GNAP »
jack

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 09:01:53 PM »
Wandered in HF this afternoon to look at a Vulcan protig. stopped by and eyed the Icon selection. They got the ratchets all boxed up..WTF? you cant even look at it. what was pictured on the box looked exactly like the soft handles they currently sell.

I left empty handed. ::)

Offline walrus

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »
Today, I bought 2 of the 14 piece sets of the Icon brand SAE wrenches (1/4” - 1”), the store manager, took pity on me and gave me a manager’s discount, which was roughly 30% off the total price. So I paid about $140 plus tax. I started to use the Icon brand 3/8” drive SAE shallow sockets, in the truck tool bag last week, the wrenches, 1/4” to 3/4” (2 of each), will be the new truck tool bag wrenches. We shall see how they work out.

I had also bought the 3/8” drive comfort-grip flex head ratchet (short length) earlier in the week, it seems good, I won’t use it in the truck tool bag, I’m too use to the Harbor Freight composite ratchets, to change now.
You are still using those ratchets, they must be pretty tough. I keep one in my truck for winter use as they work well with gloves on

Offline highland512

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 07:50:53 AM »
The tools seem over hyped, but I guess HF relies on the hype for sales. To me the open end of the combo wrenches are very wide, reminds me of the cman crab claw wrenches, sockets looked nice. I wont be buying any, I have drawers full of good stuff and I have to drive by a grainger (who warranties proto) and my local independent tool shop (who services and sales wright and sk ) to get one bought or warranty.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 08:12:30 PM »
Here's a guy that bought all of the ICON brand tool offerings at HF.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »
I had some time the other day and since I was near HF I went in to check out the ICON stuff. 
Very little of the older composite ratchets left. The newer ICON ratchet heads look just like the previous model - only the handles look different.
The combo wrench set was priced at $100. Not bad, and they looked decent enough. Don't know if I'd spring for a set of those now, but as a younger tech just starting out I might have. If I remember correctly my comparable Bonney set of wrenches was $100 back in 1981.
The sockets looked really nice. If I need any sockets to supplement my current sets I'd have no problem snagging these HF ones.
Apart from the hand tools it seemed to me HF has increased their selection of merchandise somewhat. I don't remember as much plumbing and electrical stuff being in there, but that could be I wasn't paying attention to that sort of thing then.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »
........Apart from the hand tools it seemed to me HF has increased their selection of merchandise somewhat. I don't remember as much plumbing and electrical stuff being in there, but that could be I wasn't paying attention to that sort of thing then.

About 10 years ago, HF sold a lot of heavy shop machinery  -- including an extensive line of power plumbing equipment. Then all of the sudden they dropped the heavy machinery and focused mainly on small power and hand tools. You could still get welders, drill presses, and some small mills and lathes, but the large industrial metal working and fabrication machinery is gone. Too bad, because some of that stuff was pretty darn usable.

Offline ron350

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
Icon socket set #64852 poor quality.

I was at HF today to buy some ceramic magnets and saw the Icon ½ drive metric 6-point standard depth sockets on sale for 37.00. Had to get the check our person to unlock the sockets and bring them to the register.

Got the sockets home and checked them out and promptly returned them for a refund. The chrome on the top rim of the sockets had pits and bubbles on most of the sockets; the 15mm was so bad it would cut you. The strange thing was that all the flaws were on the most important part of the sockets the top rim. The top outside edge of the sockets had almost a square edge and that may have contributed to the bad chrome but where is the quality control.

I compared the Icon sockets to some new Craftsman “Z” ½ inch drive sockets and the Craftsman sockets look great compared to the Icons. I have not used the Craftsman “Z”sockets yet so I don’t know how they will hold up.

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 08:26:48 AM »

I was at HF today to buy some ceramic magnets and saw the Icon ½ drive metric 6-point standard depth sockets on sale for 37.00. Had to get the check our person to unlock the sockets and bring them to the register.

Got the sockets home and checked them out and promptly returned them for a refund. The chrome on the top rim of the sockets had pits and bubbles on most of the sockets; the 15mm was so bad it would cut you. The strange thing was that all the flaws were on the most important part of the sockets the top rim. The top outside edge of the sockets had almost a square edge and that may have contributed to the bad chrome but where is the quality control.

I compared the Icon sockets to some new Craftsman “Z” ½ inch drive sockets and the Craftsman sockets look great compared to the Icons. I have not used the Craftsman “Z”sockets yet so I don’t know how they will hold up.

Chrome issues to include peeling have been a reoccurring complaint I have seen on the ICON sockets since launch. Had a co-worker mention he went through 3 warranty return sets of 3/8" shallow metric ICON sockets before got one that would not peel on him.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »

Chrome issues to include peeling have been a reoccurring complaint I have seen on the ICON sockets since launch. Had a co-worker mention he went through 3 warranty return sets of 3/8" shallow metric ICON sockets before got one that would not peel on him.

That's pretty pathetic QC. I have seen older Taiwanese HF sets from the early 2000's that were marketed under the "Pittsburgh Professional" series name, and the chrome is flawless. Taiwanese chrome is usually some of the best in the industry.

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »
That's pretty pathetic QC. I have seen older Taiwanese HF sets from the early 2000's that were marketed under the "Pittsburgh Professional" series name, and the chrome is flawless. Taiwanese chrome is usually some of the best in the industry.

My understanding is HF went with a different manufacturer/distributor in Taiwan for the ICON brand that was suppose to be top shelf above the rest but for whatever reason, they have dropped the ball on the sockets.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 09:08:02 AM »

My understanding is HF went with a different manufacturer/distributor in Taiwan for the ICON brand that was suppose to be top shelf above the rest but for whatever reason, they have dropped the ball on the sockets.

Pretty bad business decision continuing a line of flawed sockets that will undoubtedly give a black eye to the rest of the ICON line of tools. Asking consumers to pay premium prices for peeling and bubbling chrome will sink that brand.

Offline ron350

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2021, 11:35:07 AM »
I used to think HF packaged Icon in large sealed boxes to prevent theft but now I think they just don’t want customers to be able to look before buying.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
They have managed to do a good job of making that line of tools look like overpriced junk.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2021, 04:17:20 PM »
Say what you want but I have been quietly useing  a set of metric and a set of sae shallows in 3/8 for well over a year. Do they get used every day? No but several times a week instead of my normal sk sockets.

I would buy them again. Take that for what it's worth.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2021, 07:00:17 PM »
Say what you want but I have been quietly useing  a set of metric and a set of sae shallows in 3/8 for well over a year. Do they get used every day? No but several times a week instead of my normal sk sockets.

I've been looking at buying an icon ratchet to take to work to put against my snap on one.

I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a ratchet at harbor freight.

Its clearly a mental thing because I can easily pay $100 or more for a Matco or Snap-On one.

I haven't had any hands on on the icon stuff. I'm sure that would help. Like someone said not surwhy they box them up. I want to see and touch what I'm about to buy. Probably part of reason I have no problem buying Snap-On or Matco. The. Again my reps will let me take it for a spin for a week before making a decision.

Offline vssjim

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 05:27:49 PM »
When they came out and people on both sides were going crazy about they are great or they are soft. I waited until they went on sale for 50% percent off on deep socket sets. I got a 3/8 metric set and used it at work daily only on hand tools as I only use chrome on impacts if it  is a must for thin areas. I split a 12mm socket after about a year and the set did show wear on the square drive. I got a set of GearWrench about the same time as a test with them and the GearWrench show no wear and had no failures. I hope it helps.

Offline highland512

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »
I got the 3/8 icon torque wrench. No complaints

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »

SK-  say it aint so :-\
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 09:32:47 AM »

SK-  say it aint so :-\

we can all talk smack about coo and quality of products made here and there. the truth is, unless you put your money where your mouth is you just don't know. so to be informed i picked those 2 icon sets up for some seat time. if you have have never used them it's damn tough to  give an honest view on them

is every icon item good? is quality consistent across the line? is quality consistent over time? i won't go there as i don't know. i do know that on what i have, fit and finish is excellent and they show no signs of stress or excessive wear. my experience with them has been very positive.

so lauver, sorry to disappoint you........  but when i make a comment on something i want people to believe that i am honest, informed and experienced and that involves calling it as you see it.

now tekton, some may like it but i have seen  too much bad shit from  (mit) michigan industrial tools and  their sister grip to think that a simple name change makes it all good. i refuse to buy their us made stuff either, why buy a rebrand when you can get it right from the mfg. and cut out the middle man.

how is that going from unbiased to biased in the same post?   :38:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline GNAP

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 06:07:40 PM »
I use a set everyday, 1/4” through 7/8”, 3/8” drive, Icon chrome sockets, with the required (at least for me) Harbor Freight composite ratchet. I have had zero issues with wear, chrome  or any other problem, they just flat work.

Are they great - no
Are they terrible - no
Are they equal to most mid-priced set - yes
Would I buy them again - yes
Do I have any regrets - no
jack

Offline vssjim

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 10:04:07 PM »
I had the ICON 3/8 deep sockets and split one on hand use so I not sure about the over all deal with them, out of the Taiwan made tools I have Carlyle, TOPTUL, GearWrench and Tekton the ICON's are the only one I have ever broken so I will probably stay with stay with them.

Offline muddy

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »

I use a set everyday, 1/4” through 7/8”, 3/8” drive, Icon chrome sockets, with the required (at least for me) Harbor Freight composite ratchet. I have had zero issues with wear, chrome  or any other problem, they just flat work.

Are they great - no
Are they terrible - no
Are they equal to most mid-priced set - yes
Would I buy them again - yes
Do I have any regrets - no

That's a down a dirty review I like it!