Author Topic: New Harbor Freight’s Icon Brand Sockets  (Read 19098 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: New Harbor Freight’s Icon Brand Sockets
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 08:06:38 PM »
Yeah Fedwrench, I hear you. Not much at all new on the US domestic front except whatever S-K puts out (after long lead times). I'm really sorry Western Forge didn't/doesn't start releasing tools now that they're under ideal. They did alot of the Craftsman stuff - why can't they start up those lines again under a new name?

I don't have a problem with Taiwan tools at all. If they're solid and available, I'd grab 'em if I needed them. I have far too many used U.S.A vintage ratchets to buy HF's, but like I said earlier their socket sets are tempting. Especially the deep metrics. Can't have too many of those. Since I never really used my quality mechanics tools for HVAC work - and the specialty stuff is now just gathering dust - I'm really not in the market for any more big tool purchases. But if I pick up a hands-on job anywhere I'd probably grab a set of deep metrics in 1/4" and 3/8" drive so I don't have to take my Bonney's away from home.
For ratcheting wrenches I'd probably go Tekton, as with any new screwdriver needs.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »
Today, I bought 2 of the 14 piece sets of the Icon brand SAE wrenches (1/4” - 1”), the store manager, took pity on me and gave me a manager’s discount, which was roughly 30% off the total price. So I paid about $140 plus tax. I started to use the Icon brand 3/8” drive SAE shallow sockets, in the truck tool bag last week, the wrenches, 1/4” to 3/4” (2 of each), will be the new truck tool bag wrenches. We shall see how they work out.

I had also bought the 3/8” drive comfort-grip flex head ratchet (short length) earlier in the week, it seems good, I won’t use it in the truck tool bag, I’m too use to the Harbor Freight composite ratchets, to change now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:47:15 AM by GNAP »
jack

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 09:01:53 PM »
Wandered in HF this afternoon to look at a Vulcan protig. stopped by and eyed the Icon selection. They got the ratchets all boxed up..WTF? you cant even look at it. what was pictured on the box looked exactly like the soft handles they currently sell.

I left empty handed. ::)

Offline walrus

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »
Today, I bought 2 of the 14 piece sets of the Icon brand SAE wrenches (1/4” - 1”), the store manager, took pity on me and gave me a manager’s discount, which was roughly 30% off the total price. So I paid about $140 plus tax. I started to use the Icon brand 3/8” drive SAE shallow sockets, in the truck tool bag last week, the wrenches, 1/4” to 3/4” (2 of each), will be the new truck tool bag wrenches. We shall see how they work out.

I had also bought the 3/8” drive comfort-grip flex head ratchet (short length) earlier in the week, it seems good, I won’t use it in the truck tool bag, I’m too use to the Harbor Freight composite ratchets, to change now.
You are still using those ratchets, they must be pretty tough. I keep one in my truck for winter use as they work well with gloves on

Offline highland512

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 07:50:53 AM »
The tools seem over hyped, but I guess HF relies on the hype for sales. To me the open end of the combo wrenches are very wide, reminds me of the cman crab claw wrenches, sockets looked nice. I wont be buying any, I have drawers full of good stuff and I have to drive by a grainger (who warranties proto) and my local independent tool shop (who services and sales wright and sk ) to get one bought or warranty.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 08:12:30 PM »
Here's a guy that bought all of the ICON brand tool offerings at HF.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »
I had some time the other day and since I was near HF I went in to check out the ICON stuff. 
Very little of the older composite ratchets left. The newer ICON ratchet heads look just like the previous model - only the handles look different.
The combo wrench set was priced at $100. Not bad, and they looked decent enough. Don't know if I'd spring for a set of those now, but as a younger tech just starting out I might have. If I remember correctly my comparable Bonney set of wrenches was $100 back in 1981.
The sockets looked really nice. If I need any sockets to supplement my current sets I'd have no problem snagging these HF ones.
Apart from the hand tools it seemed to me HF has increased their selection of merchandise somewhat. I don't remember as much plumbing and electrical stuff being in there, but that could be I wasn't paying attention to that sort of thing then.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »
........Apart from the hand tools it seemed to me HF has increased their selection of merchandise somewhat. I don't remember as much plumbing and electrical stuff being in there, but that could be I wasn't paying attention to that sort of thing then.

About 10 years ago, HF sold a lot of heavy shop machinery  -- including an extensive line of power plumbing equipment. Then all of the sudden they dropped the heavy machinery and focused mainly on small power and hand tools. You could still get welders, drill presses, and some small mills and lathes, but the large industrial metal working and fabrication machinery is gone. Too bad, because some of that stuff was pretty darn usable.

Offline ron350

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
Icon socket set #64852 poor quality.

I was at HF today to buy some ceramic magnets and saw the Icon ½ drive metric 6-point standard depth sockets on sale for 37.00. Had to get the check our person to unlock the sockets and bring them to the register.

Got the sockets home and checked them out and promptly returned them for a refund. The chrome on the top rim of the sockets had pits and bubbles on most of the sockets; the 15mm was so bad it would cut you. The strange thing was that all the flaws were on the most important part of the sockets the top rim. The top outside edge of the sockets had almost a square edge and that may have contributed to the bad chrome but where is the quality control.

I compared the Icon sockets to some new Craftsman “Z” ½ inch drive sockets and the Craftsman sockets look great compared to the Icons. I have not used the Craftsman “Z”sockets yet so I don’t know how they will hold up.

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 08:26:48 AM »

I was at HF today to buy some ceramic magnets and saw the Icon ½ drive metric 6-point standard depth sockets on sale for 37.00. Had to get the check our person to unlock the sockets and bring them to the register.

Got the sockets home and checked them out and promptly returned them for a refund. The chrome on the top rim of the sockets had pits and bubbles on most of the sockets; the 15mm was so bad it would cut you. The strange thing was that all the flaws were on the most important part of the sockets the top rim. The top outside edge of the sockets had almost a square edge and that may have contributed to the bad chrome but where is the quality control.

I compared the Icon sockets to some new Craftsman “Z” ½ inch drive sockets and the Craftsman sockets look great compared to the Icons. I have not used the Craftsman “Z”sockets yet so I don’t know how they will hold up.

Chrome issues to include peeling have been a reoccurring complaint I have seen on the ICON sockets since launch. Had a co-worker mention he went through 3 warranty return sets of 3/8" shallow metric ICON sockets before got one that would not peel on him.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »

Chrome issues to include peeling have been a reoccurring complaint I have seen on the ICON sockets since launch. Had a co-worker mention he went through 3 warranty return sets of 3/8" shallow metric ICON sockets before got one that would not peel on him.

That's pretty pathetic QC. I have seen older Taiwanese HF sets from the early 2000's that were marketed under the "Pittsburgh Professional" series name, and the chrome is flawless. Taiwanese chrome is usually some of the best in the industry.

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »
That's pretty pathetic QC. I have seen older Taiwanese HF sets from the early 2000's that were marketed under the "Pittsburgh Professional" series name, and the chrome is flawless. Taiwanese chrome is usually some of the best in the industry.

My understanding is HF went with a different manufacturer/distributor in Taiwan for the ICON brand that was suppose to be top shelf above the rest but for whatever reason, they have dropped the ball on the sockets.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 09:08:02 AM »

My understanding is HF went with a different manufacturer/distributor in Taiwan for the ICON brand that was suppose to be top shelf above the rest but for whatever reason, they have dropped the ball on the sockets.

Pretty bad business decision continuing a line of flawed sockets that will undoubtedly give a black eye to the rest of the ICON line of tools. Asking consumers to pay premium prices for peeling and bubbling chrome will sink that brand.

Offline ron350

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2021, 11:35:07 AM »
I used to think HF packaged Icon in large sealed boxes to prevent theft but now I think they just don’t want customers to be able to look before buying.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
They have managed to do a good job of making that line of tools look like overpriced junk.