Author Topic: Are you of age that you used THIS type of pallet jack?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline oldnslo

Are you of age that you used THIS type of pallet jack?
« on: October 20, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »
I recently picked up a Fairbanks Morse hit n miss motor (needing a ton of work) which came on a vintage pallet, and rolled easily on this vintage pallet jack. Thank goodness for that, as the motor is all of 600lbs or more.

Just this afternoon I pulled it off the pallet, to view the jack, and didnt see any hydraulic hosing, or connections. O 'ye of great vintage drayage experience, how would the hydraulics have worked on this sled? The handle (for now) is rusted in place, but appears to be able to connect with a hook once the carriage has been lifted.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:51:47 PM by oldnslo »

Offline oldnslo

Re: Are you of age that you used THIS type of pallet jack?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »
I think I have it figured out. The cylinder is much akin to an old skool shock absorber It's all sealed up, it just meters the flow when lowering the pallet load. There is no concept of pumping it up like a modern pallet jack.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
So how does a guy raise the load? Looks like it'd be a handy trolley for the shop with a little tune up.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »
Handy, for sure! Check out those wheels, very modern for the vintage era this is from.

Pic A, shows the at rest position, notice the white arrow providing a centerline for discussion
Pic B, shows the (single pull) of the lever that raises the cart, the black arrow shows the direction of pull
Pic C, shows how the centerline has moved, and is ready to be 'caught" on the hook for safe transport.

Catch and release at its finest.

All said and done, this lifts perhaps an inch at most for transport.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:49:08 PM by oldnslo »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 01:50:21 PM »
Detail of the pallet leg and jack wheel.

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »
Definitely not old enough but still s cool find

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 02:18:18 PM »
My back hurts just looking at that. Pure, unadulterated mechanical advantage.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 03:50:18 PM »
I take it that a modern pallet won't work with that lift? Nice piece of vintage equipment.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 08:17:12 AM »
The hit n miss motor came off the pallet last weekend because the front end loader got a new starter solenoid. Yipeee!

After flipping the pallet over so I could store it on its side, I saw the name. Barrett-Cravens. Here are some images, and it would seem to make a nice coffee table (tho a bit wide).

https://www.google.com/search?q=barrett-cravens+pallet&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi9jduT9e7lAhUJt54KHer3Ac4Q_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1163&bih=525

The pallet has a few oak cross members that will need replacing when I have time. Its not a project in the near future tho.

The jack is from the same manufacturer. You'll find those images online as well.