Author Topic: Shop heater.  (Read 6588 times)

Offline muddy

Shop heater.
« on: November 15, 2019, 05:58:05 PM »
My work area usually isn't that cold, since it's the basement of my house. However I'd like a little something to take the chill off and make it a bit more comfortable.

What are everyone's thoughts on heaters like these?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Shop heater.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
I had a few of those 120V units when I worked out of small barn. Two or three of them was enough to take the chill off and allow for some reasonable amount of dexterity to return to my hands. In your situation it's probably a good solution.

If you really want to get the heat into the basement -- go 240V. I have a single 240V 7500W unit in my garage and it does the job all winter.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:55:57 PM »
I had a few of those 120V units when I worked out of small barn. Two or three of them was enough to take the chill off and allow for some reasonable amount of dexterity to return to my hands. In your situation it's probably a good solution.

If you really want to get the heat into the basement -- go 240V. I have a single 240V 7500W unit in my garage and it does the job all winter.
Well discussing this with my HVAC friend thought about tying a base board or radiator into the current heating system might be  my best solution.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 07:05:04 PM »
Good idea on the baseboard -- but you'll loose the portability.

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »

Well discussing this with my HVAC friend thought about tying a base board or radiator into the current heating system might be  my best solution.

While using your current system is probably best you need to add another zone so you can turn it off and on when not down there. Small electric heaters put the heat where you want it so they can be a good option

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »

While using your current system is probably best you need to add another zone so you can turn it off and on when not down there. Small electric heaters put the heat where you want it so they can be a good option
He had mentioned that what does that involve? Obviously another thermostat going to the boiler, but does that need valves to shut flow off separately from upstairs?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 07:30:12 PM »
Growing up in the great unfrozen south. All we used for heat in our house was those 110v electric space heaters. The problem now is that unless you go 240v you'll be stuck at 1500watts.

I've got several of those that I use as a generator loadbank. They don't put out much heat.

Offline walrus

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 04:48:06 AM »

He had mentioned that what does that involve? Obviously another thermostat going to the boiler, but does that need valves to shut flow off separately from upstairs?

Depends on how its set up, some installs use multiple pumps, a pump per zone. Some use one pump and zone valves.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »
Just to add, this is one I have, uses the same tank as your grill. Unit is self contained, tank is in the back.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
Just to add, this is one I have, uses the same tank as your grill. Unit is self contained, tank is in the back.
Unvented propane heater will add a ton of moisture into your house.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 07:51:32 PM »
Would not know that use it in the shop or garage. Shop shares a common wall of den, above is a bedroom.

Must be lucky,  who knows?
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 08:20:38 AM »
I use one of these for an uninsulated 20 x29 garage. It took the temp from 56 to 66 in about 45 minutes this morning. It uses a 20 amp 240 circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
can’t post pics anymore

MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 09:04:43 AM »
can’t post pics anymore

MAGA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 09:24:05 AM »
Unvented propane heater will add a ton of moisture into your house.

Meant to comment on this over the weekend.  Walrus is correct that unvented propane heater will put a lot of moisture into the house.  Now the question is, is that a bad thing especially when you factor in the amount of use and what your primary heating source is. 

I have oil fired forced air heating and run a humidifier tied into the furnace to up the humidity as forced air is very dry.  Also, how much will the heater be used.  In Muddy's case and Pep's example, I don't think either heater will be used long enough to be a problem with moisture and it may be a benefit if their air is dry. 

I believe that knowing that moisture could be an issue and to be aware of it  and paying attention while using unvented propane and only using it as supplemental heat, problems would be minimal.

Now to my concern,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not crazy about having a propane bottle inside my house.  But now that I think of it, I have several propane tanks in my attached garage :-[

Offline muddy

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 08:52:05 PM »
The moisture level is borderline needing a dehumidifier and I'm not a fan of propane heater inside either.

I think I'll grab one if these 110 units and give them a shot.