Author Topic: Tool Warranties  (Read 6684 times)

Offline GNAP

Tool Warranties
« on: December 11, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »
Why is it everyone seems fixated on tool warranties, people talk about buying a tool, the first question they ask, is not how well it works, but what is the warranty like. Maybe I’m different, but I’ve probably had a grand total of 5 or 6 true tool warranty claims in about 50 yrs. Now I’ve broken, abused and modified tools, to fill a railroad boxcar or two. I’d never dream of trying to warranty a ratchet, wrench or socket, that I was turning with a 10’ pipe on the tool handle, it was not designed to take that stress level, now I would in a heart beat to do what is necessary or available to get the job done. If it takes cutting a wrench in half and welding the handle at an odd angle so be it, I don’t care who the wrench manufacturer is, if it’s there, it’s fair game.

I told a friend a couple of days ago, one of the last warranty claim I made was in either in the late 70s or early 80s, at my brother’s hardware store, with a Bonney 1/4” drive, 5/16” deep socket that was cracked. Every socket, ratchet, or wrench, I’ve broken since then were replaced by tools that were either bought as part of cost of doing business or written off as part of the job.

I could/would try to warranty a tool, I’d knowingly abused, a cut and rewelded wrench is not the manufacturer’s issue. Maybe I’m old or I was brought up different, again maybe both, but I would not be able to sleep at night, trying to pass my bad or crude work habits off as a manufacturing defect. I just don’t understand the fixation with the warranty, as the primary reason to buy tool A or tool B.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 07:39:27 PM by GNAP »
jack

Offline TacticalFun

Re: Tool Warranties
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 07:48:48 PM »
I would rather buy the tool that lasts onstead the one that needs to be replaced. If my tools broke on a job it could cost them millions an hour while i drove to wherever.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline GNAP

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 08:10:12 PM »
There is not a job out there that down time is MILLIONS of dollars an hours.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:31:11 PM by GNAP »
jack

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 08:16:55 PM »
Never worried about warranties on hand tools. I've worn out many common sized Craftsman and MAC sockets and never returned a single one for warranty. I used the heck out of those sockets and got my money's worth.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 08:50:33 PM »
I agree with the OP 100%.

There is no warranty on Bonney tools, so ""logic" would dictate one shouldn't buy and use them. Because - if they break - you're out of luck. No - I just pick up the spare!

I've never had a Bonney wrench break, bend, round out, or crack. Even used the "weak" V-gullet open end to take bicycle pedals off. Never had any spread or breakage. Sockets, flare wrenches, Cam-Loc ratcheting OE, Saltus style - never had any fail that were good condition when I bought them.
I've had my S-K sockets and ratchet for almost 40 years now. Never cracked one or stripped out the ratchet. And I didn't regularly lube the ratchet early on.

About the only tool I even thought of the warranty for is the HF composite ratchet. Then after 30 seconds realized how stupid that was, because if it did break I'd just get another one for $8. (Thanks to Jack for turning me on to those!)  ;)

Now that I've heard over at GJ that Snap-On is changing their warranty to the "original owner, with receipt" I'm betting ALOT of guys are gonna be throwing tools at the Snappy trucks!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 09:48:33 PM »
back when I was starting out the warranty was important. I could barely afford the tool to start with much less replacements when it broke. Tools were the long term investment. as I've gotten older/wiser I've figured out that tools are simply a means to an end, consumables. if one needs chopping to get the job done, lets chop it. But I also have a lot more disposable income now.

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
I only warranty when I feel the tool failed in a incorrect manner during normal use. If I had a cheater pipe hanging on the end of a ratchet handle while bouncing off the end of it and the ratchet sheers off its on me. (word to the wise kids, dont do this. you will wind up on the shop floor unconscious)

The last socket I had fail was a 7/8 proto that shattered while I was yanking on a long handled proto ratchet, when the socket is laying on the floor in 5 pieces it was obviously made wrong and got warrantied.   

Offline ken w.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 09:54:23 AM »
Most of my tools are Snap On and I feel that I paid for the replacement tool when I bought it. I do have a 5 gallon bucket in the corner of the garage for all the other broken tools that I can't be bothered to warranty . Some are salvageable to make into special tools.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »
I have broken so few tools over the years, it doesn't matter but I have warrantied a few Snap ons that I bought new.  Would not consider warrantying something I bought used.

I absolutely understand mechanics Warrantying truck brand tools that they purchased new as they are paying a premium for service and warranty.   Abuse excluded.

I get asked all the time if a tool I sell is warranted and I say that is between them and the manufacturer.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 12:48:44 PM »
I have a Snap-on roller out in the back garage that needs new slides, as roller bearing slides are a wear item apparently. I haven't decided what to do about it, as it was bought used, but this shouldn't be an issue.

I like simple.

But that is it for me.

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
There is not a job out there that down time is MILLIONS of dollars an hours.
Thats not remotely true at all. One hour at ford is one million. Whole companies go out of business due to a few hours of downtime at large companies.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
back when I was starting out the warranty was important. I could barely afford the tool to start with much less replacements when it broke. Tools were the long term investment. as I've gotten older/wiser I've figured out that tools are simply a means to an end, consumables. if one needs chopping to get the job done, lets chop it. But I also have a lot more disposable income now.

Yeah, I was kinda like that. But then the S-K dealer I bought my sockets sets from said the S-K warranty was "for anything but theft". I thought that was pretty good!  :))

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 06:00:34 PM »
I have never warrantied a tool. But I have never busted one under what I consider normal use. When I started buying Craftsman back in the 70's I considered the warranty a plus. I agree that the topline expensive truck tools should have a good warranty.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
I warrantied a Craftsman ratchet 30 years ago I had found on the road and as I was leaving the store I felt like I had stolen something. Never happened again. I have blown up many 12 point Craftsman sockets with pipe applied pressure and just bought new ones. I don’t think tools should have a lifetime warranty. Maybe stamp a date on them and warranty for a year. STUFF WEARS OUT. Sell them cheaper with no warranty and people will still buy the best tool.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:43:03 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 06:45:31 AM »
I had a low-use Proto 5250XL ratchet break. To me it looked like a manufacturing flaw, it looked like the selector was metal injection molded but had burrs and rough spots that were not from being used, and it broke a few places inside the head.

I had bought it a few years ago from zoro, so I dropped Stanley an email, got an address and sent it out. All it needed was guts, the handle was fine. But I received a whole new replacement rat 2 weeks later. In that instance, yeah I think Stanley did right, but I didn't abuse that tool, either.

I also moved that ratchet into my machinist box, where it has done fantastic but I haven't and won't use it hard. Replaced it in automotive use by a Cornwell JR40.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:49:49 AM by Davethorik »

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 09:33:33 AM »
I think the feeling is, the better the warranty, the better the tool.
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline walrus

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 04:25:26 AM »
I've warrantied tools but don't break much any more. #2 philips is what I break the most of and generally its Snap On, either bits or my favorite hard handle. Snap On truck to the rescue for the hard handle, bits they will warranty also but I figure they are consumable. I need to find a truck when I have some cash in my pocket so I can stock up on bits. ACR bits will hold a screw horizontal to allow me to get it into a trough or a box easily.

Funny how a bit will last a long time and then pow, busted. I broke one the other day with a non fuel M12 milwaukee driver. It doesn't have shit for torque , not impact, but it Snapped it. Bet I've been using that bit in an impact for months.