Author Topic: Yet another Craigslist rant. (update)  (Read 6815 times)

Offline bmwrd0

Yet another Craigslist rant. (update)
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »
So I am looking to sell my old truck, as I don't need to keep it around. It's in good shape but 17 years old. Put it up on CL, asking a fair amount, $1500. But I have an amount in my head for the least I will take, 1K. Get a few instant replies of the "trade it for a boat type" or "can you drive it up to me?" No.

But get one where the guy says "I will give you a thousand and come pick it up" I say I will think on it overnight. Why not? It's quick, in my ballpark amount, easy. Mention it to the wife, she says sounds good. So, I call the guy this AM, leave a message. He texts me back (man I have texting) with a bunch of questions that are in the ballpark - tire condition, any rust, that sort of thing. All good I say. Then "can you drive it to me and take UBER home?" Hmmm...

No. The deal was to come and get it. "Can you meet me right off the freeway?" No. the deal was to come and get it. "Why are you being so hard, blah, blah blah" Thanks, I'll wait for a better deal.

I was starting to get the feeling that when his guys meet me they would only have half that amount and I would be stuck holding the bag, walking home. I don't need the money this instant and can wait. Worse comes to worst I will donate it.

So, does anyone in the Pacific Northwest need a '02 Ranger?

UPDATE; So it sold last night. A woman replied to the ad, asking if it was still available. I had kinda stopped replying to the CL ad as I had people calling off of seeing it on the street. But no takers yet. For whatever reason, maybe because girls weren't really asking about it, I responded. She asked real questions that you need to ask about a car for sale, like how are the tires, the registration, any issues, etc. Then asked if I was negotiable on the price (I was.) Can I see it tonight? Sure, for another hour or so (I don't want people showing up at 10 pm) She and her husband came right over with a friend (she had a broken leg and they had a baby) He did all the right things like checking the oil, look underneath, made sure all the gauges worked. Took it for a test drive, and handed me the money when he came back.   They lowballed me but were still in the range I wanted to get.

Just had to be patient, spot the real people.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:20:54 AM by bmwrd0 »

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Yet another Craigslist rant.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »
I looked it up, and that's a clean little pickup and priced to move. I think you're just experiencing the sub-$2k CL flakes. Not much you can do to avoid them. Even clearly stating "NO TRADES" will not keep the bs swap offers away. I simply put my phone number and request no texts. If you want it, call me. That helps weed out the ones that want to play hemm and haww over text or email (almost always non serious buyers in my experience).

A good friend of mine won't even deal with selling on CL. He just takes his used rigs he doesn't trade in straight to St Vincents in Eugene. He's well off enough to do it, but I think the hassle he saves might be worth something.

Greyson

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 12:37:47 PM »
Yeah, I'll give it a couple of weeks, but that might be what I end up doing. Though my neighbor has a couple of boys at OSU, hoping that one of them needs it.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »

I was starting to get the feeling that when his guys meet me they would only have half that amount and I would be stuck holding the bag, walking home. I don't need the money this instant and can wait. Worse comes to worst I will donate it.

I think you read the tea leaves correctly right there.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
I heard so much sketchy shit surrounding Craigslist that I totally avoided it for the longest time. Then I found a good price on a 4 Wheeler and called about it. It was one of those deals where the price was low enough that it was right on the verge of being too good to be true, but I called.

It was located about 45 minutes from me. I called the listed number ( a West Virginia 304 number), but it sqwoked like I’d called a fax line or I was trying to establish a dial up internet connection. About 2 hours later I started getting text messages from a weird number (California 714 area code) asking me if I was still interested in the 4 Wheeler, but it was a higher price. I responded I was interested at the listed price, but not at the higher price. No response.

Over the next few days I got several text messages asking if I were still interested in _______ (insert random, totally not an ATV item here). They came from a couple different numbers, but both were 714. I blocked both numbers and never attempted to buy anything off Craigslist again.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 09:30:48 PM »
Around here the problem for a while was with tractors. There would be a 2 year old compact tractor with full accessories for less than $3000. It was mainly JD's and always out of state supposed dealers. Those have pretty well stopped. I have scored some great deals on stuff within 20 miles. I have also gotten great deals on Let Go.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:34 PM »
I've bought a ton of stuff off CL, mostly good deals, so trust me, they're out there.  Just turn on your b/s detector when you're going through the ads.  I don't have many issues with buying on CL because I'm good at weeding out the bad ads. 

CL buyers on the other hand when I'm selling...
boop/bop/beep

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 07:34:19 AM »

Yes I am, can you drive it to me in Ohio?

I dont have Facebook but my wife does, the market place on Facebook seems to be a better option than CL in my opinion. At least you can put a name to a face of the douchbags while you shopping

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
I used to buy a lot off CL and still do some, but not as much.  Sellers can be flakey too.  Tuesday evening a Snap on Vise gets listed for $50.  I text the guy and he says call in 10 min.  I do, tell him I want the vise and will be there on Wed at the time he specified.  Text him when I am leaving and he texts address back.  Get there, an hour drive, and he says he sold it hour and half ago.  Tells me he told everyone first come first serve, which I do understand, but he didn't let me know it was sold.  Now, he did have a ton of other tools and I spent $1,000 and likely will do that again so all was not lost, actually a great deal but rubbed me the wrong way. 

As to selling on CL, I have a few times but I never list my phone, you have to email me through CL.  Weeds out a lot of low ballers but also likely cuts back on prospects as some folks won't email, they want instant. 

If I did more on CL, I would have a seperate phone for CL and that will likely happen in the future. 

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
Get a few instant replies of the "trade it for a boat type"

I have much better luck trading than selling on CL. It's easier to find people with stuff I want, or can flip for more $$$, than ones with money.

As to selling on CL, I have a few times but I never list my phone, you have to email me through CL.  Weeds out a lot of low ballers but also likely cuts back on prospects as some folks won't email, they want instant. 

If I did more on CL, I would have a seperate phone for CL and that will likely happen in the future.

I use google voice which is free. They can text it, or leave a voicemail if they're stuck in the stone age :))

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »
I don't use Craigslist but there are other BST sites that work well for me.  I always use email for first contact so I'm not giving out any personally identifying info like address or phone number.  My listings show a location nearby but not my exact location.

The serious inquiries are usually fairly easy to distinguish now, although I've had a couple who appeared to be flakes turn out to be good buyers.  I've sold a lot of stuff this way over the last few years, and found a lot of good buys during the same period.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 02:24:24 PM »

I use google voice which is free. They can text it, or leave a voicemail if they're stuck in the stone age :))

Hey, I resemble that remark!
P.S. And proud of the fact!  ;D

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 05:47:00 PM »
Phil, that would irritate me too. Just be upfront with people, it makes life so much easier.  Good on the other purchases though.

I should have guessed, this guy liked to text. Always a bad sign. It usually those people who sit and stare at their phone, see anything they even remotely like and shoot a lowball offer.  :P

Offline ken w.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 08:51:39 PM »
I had a vise on CL a couple of weeks ago. A guy texted me and said he would be right there. He's 35 minutes away. Two hours later I text him back and he said he was busy. WTF. I was really pissed off after that and cancelled all my CL ads. Too me CL is a bunch of bottom feeders.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
I've used both CL and FB market place to buy and sell crap. the older folks still like craigs but the younger folks seem to use FB. they all got money to spend so I try and sell them my crap. >:D 

Cash only, no checks no bit coin and get one of those test pens from the office store to check for funny money. just as soon as the transaction happens their number gets blocked. I usually sell bigger items so its tough to not have them come by the house. meet at the street and no you cant use my bathroom.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 01:25:05 AM »
I'd never do CL unless I had a CCW and some skill.

A few years ago my second oldest sister was staying with my mom in-between apartments and had some guy off Craigslist bring a running stroller by the house, my mom kicked her out over it because she had recently heard about the Craiglist killer.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TerryWerm

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 07:25:06 AM »
I've got a project coming up where I will need some house jacks, so I started looking on CL. Back in November I found an ad for three of them, $40 each, he had a good photo of them all together. He preferred a text, I said I would take all three, but could not come and get them for another week (he was about 100 miles away). He then told me that they were actually in use by a friend of his, who should finish with them in a couple of weeks. I told him "no problem, I don't need them till spring, stay in touch".   Sure enough, three weeks later I get a text from him asking if I still want the jacks and I said sure. Made arrangements to go pick them up and went on a Saturday morning, everything went smooth as could be. Never had a nicer transaction.
Terry
Keeper of the Royal Coffeepot since just last week.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 12:37:15 PM »
^^^^^^I've had good transactions also.  Once you get to talk to someone a bit, you can tell if they are a flake or not,

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »
90% of my CL transactions go great. That remaining 10% is a total retard show. I have learned to just cut people off the nanosecond they are either late or giving me any grief that causes me to waste extra time I should not have too.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 06:32:40 PM »
I've bought a fair amount of Avon aftershave form out of state CL people. Have never had a problem. Prices can be a bit higher than I'd like but for a vintage, NLA item I don't complain.....too loudly.  :))