Author Topic: My pawn shops are dropping tools!  (Read 3070 times)

Offline bonneyman

My pawn shops are dropping tools!
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:09:53 PM »
Visited another of my "regular" pawn shops today - I guess they are no longer a regular stop. They have gotten rid of their bin tools.  >:(

I understand - the bins take up alot of shelf space and don't bring in big bucks. Then again I bought alot of DVD's, a tool box or two, and am looking at a MTB bike. Since I'm already there buying tools, might as well check out some other stuff, right? And since I'm a regular, they all know me and might give me a deal on a bike or something. Dang this is a bummer. Not that I need any more tools  ::) but just the joy of digging in the hopes I might find some treasure. Tons of power tools and computers but no more individual hand tools.

This makes the 5th or 6th pawn shop to discontinue bin tools or close entirely in the last year or so. I'm glad I got while the getting was good!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: My pawn shops are dropping tools!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:16:22 AM »
Half the fun of getting collector tools is the pursuit!  ;D
boop/bop/beep

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »
I have noticed with the proliferation of the harbor freight junk, the pawn shops have less and less tools. The crap at hf is so cheep to begin with there is no meat left on the bone for used tool sales and the bins are loaded down with pounds of sh!t. I hardly dig through the bins anymore, its just not worth my time. I use to find all kinds of cool old plomb, sk, and mac. now its just of pittsburg, huskey, and no name.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »
Only been in a few pawn shops around here. Most don't have tools and if they do it's just a sparse selection of beat to death power tools they want almost new money for.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 11:11:47 AM »
Maybe, pawn dealers are getting tired of the cops coming in and taken out the stolen property.

Another idea, is a market that is slowly becoming saturated, and the value declines. Then there are the show flakes that call uber to change a flat  on their cars... :-[

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
Since my friend moved his pawn shop to Idaho it has been slim pickings for me. There is one shop that has plenty of tools but I can't stand the people there.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 01:12:54 PM »
.......Maybe, pawn dealers are getting tired of the cops coming in and taken out the stolen property.

That was what I was told by a local LEO -- too many stolen tools were showing up in pawn shops and the owners are getting swamped in paperwork because of it.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:19 PM »
I can understand that. Sad though - I really got alot out of the search. Sitting on the floor, digging thru bins of stuff, never knowing what you might find was so enjoyable.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 10:40:19 AM »
bman,

I feel your pain.  I have about 5 or 6 pawns in my area, but the hand tools (especially vintage, but also premium) have really dried up.  And, if that wasn't bad enough, tools have really become scarce at the local flea market.

What's a poor boy to do?
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 01:36:59 PM »
This is probably why my tool spending has gone through the roof. Not that I was ever a big pawnie fan, but I used to be able to take a 10 spot to the little flea market, root around in the sellers crap and find some goodies. Not any more. No fleas around her, except the big auto shows. And they know what each thing is worth!

Oh well, it just forces me to be a bit of a reseller... (at least that is what I tell my wife)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 08:21:42 PM »
I seldom find a deal at the local pawns, I finally just quit going. Why do I want to pay more for a used snappy ratchet than what the truck wants for a new one?