Author Topic: Craigslist Charging for Car Ads  (Read 5740 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Craigslist Charging for Car Ads
« on: April 15, 2019, 09:57:43 AM »
Beginning today, Craigslist is now charging $5 per used car ad.  Each ad is good for thirty days.  Apparently they've been charging for dealer ads since 2013.
boop/bop/beep

Offline m_fumich

Re: Craigslist Charging for Car Ads
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »
That has already been in place for a couple months and it’s not just cars and not just selling. I tried to post that I was looking to buy a specific car and they wanted to charge me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 10:03:35 AM »
Beginning today, Craigslist is now charging $5 per used car ad.  Each ad is good for thirty days.  Apparently they've been charging for dealer ads since 2013.

Maybe it will cut down on the phony baloney ads a little bit. CL is a joke around here when it comes to listing cars. The scam artists have the market covered, and they target the lower income working class with very false and misleading "individual" sales.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 10:12:34 AM »
That has already been in place for a couple months and it’s not just cars and not just selling. I tried to post that I was looking to buy a specific car and they wanted to charge me.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to Matt, but charging sellers $5 to post used car ads is effective today.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:14:49 AM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:17:41 AM »
I'm all for it. $5 maybe is a little high, but still a small cost vs the thousand$ the car is listed for.

I think all the ads should cost a small amount like 49 or 99 cents. Just enough that you have to be serious about it to post. There are so many dreamers and cracksmokers, it would be great to knock them back a bit.

I generally don't bother selling anything on CL unless it is $250-500 or more. Anything below that I don't find to be worth my time dealing with bullschit txt messages and no shows. /rant

Greyson

Offline m_fumich

Craigslist Charging for Car Ads
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »

Not sure exactly what you're referring to Matt, but charging sellers $5 to post used car ads is effective today.

What I’m referring to is the requirement to pay to post in the For Sale section on Craigslist. I’ve tried multiple times to post ads saying I was looking to purchase something specific and was required to pay. I just posted in Community instead for free. Maybe it’s just starting in your area but having to pay to post in the For Sale section in the Memphis market has been required for two months or more.

I can’t say it applies to all subsections of the For Sale area because I’ve only tried posting in the Cars and Trucks section.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:31:27 AM by m_fumich »

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
Damn i was gonna ask $10 for my car but now it’s not worth it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 11:49:07 AM »
I am not surprised they are charging for ads.  I never could figure out how they made money giving ads for free.  I know there is some advertising revenue and they charged for some ads but the business model didn't make sense to me. 

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »
I am not surprised they are charging for ads.  I never could figure out how they made money giving ads for free.  I know there is some advertising revenue and they charged for some ads but the business model didn't make sense to me.

I'd actually prefer they charge people a nominal fee like $10 a year to post any ads.  Let people post up to ten ads at a time.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »

What, you got a Volkswagon with a fake diesel engine?  :))

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »

What, you got a Volkswagon with a fake diesel engine?  :))

Fake blow off valves and turbo whistles.

Online Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »
I'm glad I don't use CL much, although I do like some of it's features.  The fact is that there a several other free places to list BST ads including used cars which are equally or more effective than CL.  I'm hearing a lot of rave reviews over Facebook (ugh) Marketplace these days and have even bought some stuff off it.

I seem to look at FB more than I do my traditional "hunting grounds" lately, but that might be more because I'm avoiding them as I don't have time, space or funds to make superfluous purchases at the moment.  The last time I went looking at something it led to other things that eventually "cost" me $20,000.  But it's all good...significant business expansions this year!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 10:29:24 PM »
I've taken to using the FB marketplace myself. The Craigs around here all have the same crap, day after day. The same old overpriced crap that's been listed for 72 days already.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 08:42:59 AM »
For all my kvetching about it, I prefer CL to the FB market place. I don't want some algorithm telling me what junk I should buy, nor does anyone need to know my name. Not when they live that close.

And FB will have the same nutjobs as soon as people figure it out.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 09:32:04 AM »
I use CL a bit, never had any problems. Though I limit my purchases on it to about $35. If I get "burned" it's not my life savings. ;D