Author Topic: A couple of Goodwill finds  (Read 4359 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

A couple of Goodwill finds
« on: April 19, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »
The Buck Bros back saw was $3.50, it's US made and if I'm correct in the assumption they didn't actually make it I'm guessing Stanley or Great neck.

The drill was $4.50 and says RAM on the cord, I guess that would be the manufacturer.
I think I can make out RAM POWER on what's left of that sticker.
It still works, but I need ot clean and regrease the insides.
It's single speed and only a 1/4 Chuck, but the Chuck is a Jacobs and is still buttery smooth.
I'm guessing 50's - 60's based on the plastic trigger switch, but. I couldn't find any info about the company nor could I make out a model number.

The drill may not prove the most useful with it's size and weight for the capacity it has, but i think it's cool either way.
Hopefully the Chuck key i know I've got around somewhere fits it  O:-)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: A couple of Goodwill finds
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
Well the connection to one of the brushes broke on me, damn that sucks. :-[

I should be able to solder it when I get time though, and if not I'm only out $4.50 and it'll make a cool display piece.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
I have a Shop Craft single speed 1/4"er which is very useful for smaller jobs. Hoep you can get the little doll working.

I know I've seen motor brushes for sale on the internet.
https://store.eurtonelectric.com/brushes.aspx
http://www.graphitestore.com/Carbon-Brushes/Brushes

And I have a couple pairs for spares. Let me know if you need me to compare what I have for you.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:38:55 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »
I have a Shop Craft single speed 1/4"er which is very useful for smaller jobs. Hoep you can get the little doll working.

I know I've seen motor brushes for sale on the internet.
https://store.eurtonelectric.com/brushes.aspx
http://www.graphitestore.com/Carbon-Brushes/Brushes

And I have a couple pairs for spares. Let me know if you need me to compare what I have for you.
Thanks
I got it working again, but  it sounds horrible and creeky squeaky if that makes sense.
 I probably have the brushes in wrong, but they do likely need replacing after 50 years or however old it is.

The brushes in it look like the H524 type shown on the first page of that website.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 12:07:57 AM »
Check and make sure you have the brush orientation right. they can be a bit finicky - especially if they've been running for 50 years!
I know the last old drill I took apart, I got th e one brush 90 degrees off, and it sounded funny and started slowing down almost immediately. Rechecking I got it in right and it runs fine.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 05:18:37 AM »
Check and make sure you have the brush orientation right. they can be a bit finicky - especially if they've been running for 50 years!
I know the last old drill I took apart, I got th e one brush 90 degrees off, and it sounded funny and started slowing down almost immediately. Rechecking I got it in right and it runs fine.
I'll try again and hopefully get them back in the way they came out.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 09:24:32 AM »
Hope it works.
The classic drills are great users. Just basic tools no frills but extremely durable.  Here's my pair of Shop Crafts.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »
Hope it works.
The classic drills are great users. Just basic tools no frills but extremely durable.  Here's my pair of Shop Crafts.
Those look nice
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
Hope it works.
Those look nice

Top one is 1/4", bottom one is 3/8" drive. yet they are virtually the same overall size. The 3/8" is maybe 3/8" longer.
Not high amps, non-reversible and only single speed. But for longevity the Shop Crafts are the best.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 05:40:57 PM »
Hope it works.
Those look nice

Top one is 1/4", bottom one is 3/8" drive. yet they are virtually the same overall size. The 3/8" is maybe 3/8" longer.
Not high amps, non-reversible and only single speed. But for longevity the Shop Crafts are the best.
It's like a 3/8 anvil in a 1/4 ratchet body.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 06:57:58 PM »
Hope it works.
Those look nice

It's like a 3/8 anvil in a 1/4 ratchet body.

All I knew was a guy mentioned on a site that he had bought one of them new in the 60's when he was installing carpet and used the thing hard. Still has it, and mentioned it was not for sale! So, I knew I had to get one.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 07:31:23 PM »
Oh when it's not for sale there's always a good reason, unless it's just sentimental value of course.

Always lookin' to learn