Author Topic: Good grief you members in the ice belt take care!  (Read 5000 times)

Offline bonneyman

Good grief you members in the ice belt take care!
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »
Just reading the news is giving me the chills! Single digit and subzero temps, with no power and no natural gas? Then the water treatment plant goes down and they issue a boil water order. How the heck do you boil water to drink without gas or electric? Gee whiz you guys are getting hammered. I hope all of you stay safe.
Oh, then there was tornados in NC and Georgia. unbelievable.

Other than drought to the point of the weather lady needing a new danger level on her charts we are OK in Tucson.

Offline coolmercury

Re: Good grief you members in the ice belt take care!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »
Hard for the Texas people to respond when they don't have power, but do the cell towers work?  Southern Missouri had minus 10 this morning and about eight inches of snow on top of ice, but power is still up where we live.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 10:26:55 AM »
We are 11 degrees and iced over in Nashville. No power issues here. This is the second day of no work for weather. Usually construction doesn’t stop here. I was the only one out in our neighborhood yesterday, and was cutting donuts and having fun in the mini. I may go fire it up again and pull sleds around.  :93:
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 10:32:36 AM »
It's been cold, damp and miserable weather here in the Atlanta area, but nothing too bad.  Today is the coldest day since last winter with a high of 36.  Should hit 50 tomorrow.

I hadn't heard about any tornadoes. 
boop/bop/beep

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 10:44:14 AM »
I hope everybody getting hammered stays safe.
George, between having a wood stove with a steel top and camping gear we can make coffee and cook food, have lighting and stay warm. We keep fresh water and plenty of food on hand and can handle just about anything. When you live with subzero temps you learn to be prepared and not depend on rescue even when you drive.

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 10:45:35 AM »
11PM last night, tough to see, the flash made the red disappear, its reading -21F, breathing with it that cold was like inhaling shaved ice.  Was outside maybe 2 minutes.  May get above zero tomorrow, first time in 10 days.  Had the first ever rolling blackout this morning at 8, lasted an hour.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 10:47:01 AM »
Weird weather for sure; especially for you southwestern folks. We've had nothing but overcast skies, snow, ice, or freezing rain over the past 12 days. That weather pattern is not very common for the DC area. I'm looking forward to some sunshine over the next few days, but then according to the weatherman, it hits the fan again toward the end of the week. Spring can't come soon enough!

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
Pulled my generator out of the shed to warm up in the sun, pulling on the rope was a little stiff.  Tried to start the pickup, cranked real slow, pulled on the hood release, snapped right off, did get the hood open to let the sun in, will try it after lunch.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 11:30:42 AM »
It's so dry there's animal advocates groups asking folks to put bowls of water out so the wildlife can have something to drink!

Yeah, right! After years of telling us don't feed the wildlife - as it will make them dependent on you and have them show up around your kids - they now tell us to water the wolves and cats.
Our olive tree is really doing bad. From the picture we had to cut one half of it off, as the trunk had a big crack in it and it was leaning against our wall. Found out more than half of the trunk as rotted out and crumbling dust. And olive trees are known to be tough! We already lost our chinaberry, and pecan tree, and our saguaro cactus out front came down some years ago. It's bad - even for Tucson.

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »
Just another winter day in Maine, 2 inches of sleet, freezing rain and rain. Going to make a mess of ice once temps drop but February sun will take care of it

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 07:20:37 PM »
Ice belt sure has swung south this time. 13f yesterday morning with snow and ice. I spent about 15 hours at work just keeping equipment online. Rolling blackouts for 8 hours dont help. My power at home was off for 8 hours before I got home yesterday evening then I spent 4 hours getting my water well unfrozen. Genset ran flawlessly all night. today was watching leaks pop up as thing thawed out.

A couple pictures I took yesterday am. one is from my driveway and one is the main drag in town.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 09:23:06 PM »
11PM last night, tough to see, the flash made the red disappear, its reading -21F, breathing with it that cold was like inhaling shaved ice.  Was outside maybe 2 minutes.  May get above zero tomorrow, first time in 10 days.  Had the first ever rolling blackout this morning at 8, lasted an hour.

-21 Crap... I cannot even fathom that cold.
Wish i was there for a couple of hrs just to experience it.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

• Ran when parked
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 09:29:24 PM »
I just ran up to the store and it was 25F.  In Michigan, that's just another winter day, down here it's cold!

High of 50 tomorrow, then 60s next week!   ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline john k

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 11:33:11 PM »
Jabber, go stand in a meat locker for a few, no coat.   The realization of COLD  will hit fast

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 02:14:36 PM »
I used to work maintenance at a grocery store, and regularly had to clean out the ice that accumulated in the back freezer due to a drain leak. It was -10 in there, and I couldn't last more than 10 minutes with a normal jacket. Usually had to do it over a whole shift with freeze then warm up then freeze again, chipping away at the mountain of ice with a shovel a bit at a time. Not fun.

Offline walrus

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 04:20:05 PM »

-21 Crap... I cannot even fathom that cold.
Wish i was there for a couple of hrs just to experience it.
-21 will make a breakaway on a diesel pump, fall apart on its own. Should take 350 lbs to pull it apart. It will make gas pump hoses that have been out in the sun for too long break when you move them to fill your car.

Offline highland512

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 04:28:23 PM »
Seeing weather reports from where we once lived in Louisiana, I can only imagine what the plumbing isle of the hardware and bigbox stores look like.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 04:30:45 PM »
Wow -- you guys -21F is a number that is hard to conceive. Today was a nice sunny and relatively warm day, but this evening we're hunkering down for two days of winter snow and ice. We're expecting 4"-6" of new snow tomorrow and Friday, and on top of that a lot of freezing rain and ice. My wife just got back from the grocery store and according to her, it was pure chaos.

I fueled up the snow blower and put lots of dry firewood on the rear deck to keep the wood stove fed for two days. Hope the power stays on because once the ice hits our area, the tree limbs fall like acorns around here.

Offline highland512

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 04:35:54 PM »
Wow -- you guys -21F is a number that is hard to conceive. Today was a nice sunny and relatively warm day, but this evening we're hunkering down for two days of winter snow and ice. We're expecting 4"-6" of new snow tomorrow and Friday, and on top of that a lot of freezing rain and ice. My wife just got back from the grocery store and according to her, it was pure chaos.

I fueled up the snow blower and put lots of dry firewood on the rear deck to keep the wood stove fed for two days. Hope the power stays on because once the ice hits our area, the tree limbs fall like acorns around here.

From my experience -21 is not much different than 0. Its kinda like the heat, 110 doesn't feel much different than 90. You just have to pay attention to how you dress and you exposed features, especially your ears, toes, and fingers. I got a mild cause of frost bite on the tops of my ears and haven't been able to feel them for 10 years.   

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 07:15:29 PM »
Got 15inches of snow monday night 3 foot driftsin some spots work was stopped for yesterday and today

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2021, 09:32:35 PM »
Winter is definitely showing us is muscle this year. Still have probably 8" left of the 20" of snow we got two weeks ago and now calling for another 8" tomorrow. Dodi reach above 30 since then most days. Yesterday got into the 40s and then didn't get up above freezing today. Definitely weird weather this year.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:34:54 PM by muddy »

Offline john k

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 09:40:15 PM »
Today it hit 14f, downright balmy, didnt bother with my cap when pumping gas.  Feeling the cold or heat is up to the person,  I can tell when it gets below zero, skin on the face feels tight and stings, even the eyes feel strained.  Notice it without the wind.  Strong winds at zero make it hard to breathe, even after you get the chain saw started.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 07:56:23 AM »
In January of 1958 in Fairbanks, Alaska after refueling our RB47H ferret aircraft I called the tower for clearance to taxi to the hanger and they informed me it was minus 55 degrees.  The support crew could not get the tug started, so they opened the hanger doors and I taxied it inside.  Our orders were to keep the aircraft in a heated hanger at all times so it was ready to go.

Can anyone beat minus 55 ?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 08:04:03 AM »

......Can anyone beat minus 55 ?

Not in my lifetime --- you win!!   Damn that's cold, and its amazing the tires on your aircraft didn't just freeze solid.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »
Winter is definitely showing us is muscle this year. Still have probably 8" left of the 20" of snow we got two weeks ago and now calling for another 8" tomorrow. Dodi reach above 30 since then most days. Yesterday got into the 40s and then didn't get up above freezing today. Definitely weird weather this year.

Just saw the weather projections - looks like that texas storm system is moving east. Should freeze out West Virginia, Virginia, and Pennsylvania soon. I've got friends in Roanoke who work at Smith Mountain Lake. Me thinks there won't be any boating today! :hee20hee20hee:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »
We were supposed to get snow, but it's all ice and sleet at this moment. Damn cold outside and the cars have an inch or more of solid ice on them. Time for another cup of coffee and just sit back because the snow blower is useless with this kind of precipitation.

Stay warm friends!!

• Ran when parked
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 09:31:16 AM »
Can anyone beat minus 55 ?

Nope, but I do remember in 1982 the NFC championship was played in Cincinnati between the Bengals and Chargers and the wind chill was -59.  The "San Diego" Chargers.  They never had a chance!
boop/bop/beep

• Ran when parked
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 09:32:46 AM »

Just saw the weather projections - looks like that texas storm system is moving east. Should freeze out West Virginia, Virginia, and Pennsylvania soon. I've got friends in Roanoke who work at Smith Mountain Lake. Me thinks there won't be any boating today! :hee20hee20hee:

I was born in Roanoke.  Glad I'm not there today!
boop/bop/beep

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »
I guess that I won't complain about 21 degrees at 8:20am.

Online Midnitemack

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 01:40:50 PM »

We are headed for the 20’s today , should be nice ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2021, 06:47:32 PM »
No fair using that metric temperature stuff :spam:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2021, 11:37:56 PM »
No fair using that metric temperature stuff :spam:

OK, for those who live  in a backwards country  :lol_hitting:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 11:39:21 PM »
But seriously I hope everyone who is in the way of this ice storm stays safe.