Author Topic: Old chemicals, things you used to use and such.  (Read 1842 times)

Online john k

Re: Old chemicals, things you used to use and such.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 07:19:52 PM »
In the 90s Ford offered aerosol carb cleaner, worked great, would melt the hard black gunk off carbs and fuel injectors.   Suddenly the can was changed, new formulae.   Nothing about safer, better,  and worked about 40% as well as the old stuff.  Starting fluid!   Yeah,  high explosive ether, guaranteed to inflate about any stubborn tire.   No more, the new stuff will barely burn, no use at all for tires, will barely help an old diesel start.   Brake clean,  saw guys clean everything including their hands,  wonder how many will have strange cancers when they hit 60.   Wonder  if it has been ruined too?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 08:00:15 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed over the past 6-7 years longstanding chemicals and products have been "reformulated" and the new stuff works like crap. WD40, STP gas treatment, Marvel Mystery Oil seems different,  Preparation H, electronic parts cleaner, Berryman's carb cleaner changed years ago, Hoppes #9 gun solvent to name just a few. Many times they change when the original company gets bought out by a new conglomerate. Nowadays before I buy a new can of stuff I look at the SDS on line to see if it's different. Or try and scarf up partial old cans at estate sales.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2023, 09:39:59 PM »
I, too, played with mercury blobs in school.

This explains a lot.  :lol_hitting:

Hey, don't forget the lead paint and chlorinated solvents.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2023, 10:43:11 PM »
Even recently stuff was better than now.
The can of Jasco paint stripper I bought a couple years ago worked so much better than the can I bought a few months back.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2023, 08:57:26 AM »
I, too, played with mercury blobs in school.

This explains a lot.  :lol_hitting:

Hey, don't forget the lead paint and chlorinated solvents.
that lead paint add flavor to your crib bars?

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2023, 10:49:32 PM »
Can you still get zinc chromate paint?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 11:39:10 PM »

It was very sweet.

The Romans used it to sweeten wine. The paint manufacturers were just following suit.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2023, 04:50:37 PM »
Cutting fluid has never been the same since they took the 1,1,1-trichloroethane out of it. Nothing works like the old stuff for tough stainless. Rumor has it that luckily it can still be found in old bottles of kodak film cleaner and used to dope the adulterated new stuff.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2023, 09:29:57 AM »
You'll find chlorinated compounds in most products that work good because chlorine is such a versatile element. Marvel Mystery Oil used to contain dichlorobenzene. Old paint thinner used methylene chloride. Freon's with chlorine in them were much more miscible in oil which helped with their functional abilities and providing good system lubrication. Old time carb and brake cleaners worked like the charms they claimed because of the presence of chlorinated compounds.
Tucson has this water contamination ruling in effect since the 1980's because the defense contractors in the area used TCE (a chlorinated solvent) to clean their plane and missile parts. Very good degreaser. But they just dumped it and it leaked into the groundwater and now people are being diagnosed with all sorts of diseases. I don't have a problem with chloro compounds so long as safe handling and disposal are adhered to.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2023, 09:32:24 AM »

It was very sweet.

The Romans used it to sweeten wine. The paint manufacturers were just following suit.

I never knew that. So that's why winery's used leaded glass in their bottles?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2023, 09:17:06 AM »
Lead was added to glass to alter the molten temperature for longer working times and it results in a clearer glass by altering the refractive index.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2023, 09:58:05 AM »
I didn't know that. Thanks!   :93: