Author Topic: Laquer Thinner to clean car seats?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline zktk01

Laquer Thinner to clean car seats?
« on: October 15, 2018, 11:34:08 PM »
I was working at a dealer today saw a guy detailing a truck that just sold I  asked him what he used to clean dirty cloth seats,
he he uses white terry clothe towels and Lacquer Thinner. Has any one tried this? My dog made a mess on my light grey clothe seats and arm rest.

Offline fatfillup

Re: Laquer Thinner to clean car seats?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:07 AM »
I have never tried it but believe I have seen it done before in detail shops.  They also use fabric paint on carpets and likely seats also.  Don't know how long it holds up but this was at an auto auction detail shop

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
I do that all the time -- brake cleaner works well also. "Cloth" these days is merely synthetic fiber (i.e. plastic) and the dirt will only stain the outer layer of the fiber and not saturate it like natural fiber. A quick wipe of lacquer thinner will dissolve that grimy top layer and reveal a clean surface underneath. The trick is knowing how much to use and when to stop because the thinner will eat through the plastic quite rapidly.

You can clean dyed leather with thinner as well -- it cuts through the plasticized leather dye in the same way as with synthetic fiber. Many used car dealers will actually use lacquer to strip the dye off cracked leather and then fill and re-color the leather using off-the-shelf spay bomb paints.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »
I think I will pass on the solvent based stuff option instead for Simple Green or something else.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!