Author Topic: Any cigar smokers on the GG?  (Read 138921 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 03:47:44 PM »
I have a friend who has done pretty well for himself and smokes some Cuban cigar that costs about 50/per (2 grand a box). He says he enjoys them and limits himself to one a day (he has others he also smokes) and at that kind of money I should hope so. He says the thing that makes them better is the Cuban soil has high levels of lithium and that makes them very calming to smoke. Can't say personally as a non smoker they all smell the same to me.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 05:02:00 PM »
I remember my time in Saudi Arabia in the '80s during the Iran-Iraq war keeping an eye on the air conflict.  There were many who made their way to the Hyatt down the street to pick up a few real Cuban cigars.  This was the day when the full embargo was on and they were cherished around the poker table.

Cigars are the smoke of choice around the campfire during the motorcycle rallies but although I thoroughly enjoy a great bourbon (Eagle Rare), I have never had a cigar that I can say I've truly enjoyed.  It's possible I've never had a good one.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline muddy

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »
Wow nice setup Ray! I just have a air tight Tupperware container with boveda packs.

Keeps them right bout 69% and 72°
I change out the boveda packs every 4-6 months.

I don't smoke or store enough to justify an expensive humidor. Cigars International is 5 minutes from my house.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »
Wow, didn't know cigar buying, keeping and smoking was such an art. 

Would love a cigar but won't take the chance of getting hooked on cigarettes again.  Smoked them for 25 years and have been off of them for 18.  And am fortunate to not have any cravings, never really did after the first 6 months or so
Fats, since there is significantly less nicotine in a cigar. The changes of getting hooked are slim to none.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2018, 09:00:11 PM »
Wow, didn't know cigar buying, keeping and smoking was such an art. 

Would love a cigar but won't take the chance of getting hooked on cigarettes again.  Smoked them for 25 years and have been off of them for 18.  And am fortunate to not have any cravings, never really did after the first 6 months or so
Fats, since there is significantly less nicotine in a cigar. The changes of getting hooked are slim to none.

Plus -- to enjoy a cigar you don't inhale the smoke into your lungs. The enjoyment comes from the taste that the smoke imparts on your palate and the aroma of the smoke itself.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »
I guess we'll make this the unofficial cigar thread since there are a few of us who enjoy a pipe or cigar from time to time.

I received a package from a friend in Europe who purchased a few Christmas items on my behalf. Two wonderful Cuban brands -- La Flor De Cano and Romeo y Julieta. These brands exist outside of Cuba, but the original Havana factories were nationalized by Castro and have been producing the original product under the original names for consumption outside of the US since the revolution.

The La Flor De Cano Petit Corona is the Cuban everyday smoke. A smaller light cigar and modestly priced for the average guy  -- even in Cuba.

THIS on the other hand is considered the strongest Cuban cigar manufactured at the present time. The Rome Y Julieta Cazadores ("Hunter" in Spanish). It packs a wallop of strength and flavor. It's a Lonsdale cigar size/shape and takes a good 1-1/2 -2 hours to smoke.

Wrapped in foil no less -- the smell will be overpowering.

You can't smoke these Cubans right away. They were produced in 2018 and would taste like crap. They need to age for at least five years for the Cazadores, and at least one year for the Petit Coronas. The stronger the tobacco mix, the longer the cigar needs to age. If you look online for premium aged Cuban cigars you'd be amazed at the prices. In some cases you could buy a new car for the price of a single box of finely aged Cubans -- no kidding!!

Cuban tobacco is so scarce due to world demand, that they don't age it very much. For the American market, cigars are rolled from tobacco that originated in the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras, or Nicaragua (among others). These tobaccos are very well aged and are used exclusively to roll premium cigars. On the other hand, the Cubans use fairly young tobacco, and sell and roll it right away. That's why most people who smoke a real (not fake) Cuban cigar often complain about the harsh taste -- it tastes that way because it hasn't been aged, or in many cases -- properly aged.

I will store these Cazadores for at least five years and smoke the first one in maybe three years. The Petit Coronas will be smoked starting next summer.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:10:59 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
Wow! Excellent cigars Ray!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »
Wow! Excellent cigars Ray!

Thanks Tim -- Next time we get together for a GTG we'll try some of the aged stock that I have on hand. I have a box of the La Flor De Cano from 2014. They are definitely ready for a trial run.

Offline muddy

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 06:16:07 PM »
That sounds great!

Offline walrus

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 04:57:28 AM »
I agree with Phil. Ex smokers shouldnt take a chance on cigars . Maybe you arent supposed to inhale them but ex smokers are apt to. I know I did ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »
I agree with Phil. Ex smokers shouldnt take a chance on cigars . Maybe you arent supposed to inhale them but ex smokers are apt to. I know I did ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
It’s a beautiful day and Actually perfect weather to sit on the deck and enjoy one of these - Cuesta-Rey Pyramid #6 Centenario

Nice afternoon smoke in 65 degree sunny weather. This is my kind of Christmas weather - I’m an old guy and like it warm - lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
It’s a beautiful day and Actually perfect weather to sit on the deck and enjoy one of these - Cuesta-Rey Pyramid #6 Centenario

Nice afternoon smoke in 65 degree sunny weather. This is my kind of Christmas weather - I’m an old guy and like it warm - lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah 65 on the first day of winter!  Unfortunately it was a rainy damp day here. Maybe tomorrow I'll light one up.

What's your favored source of ignition? Matches?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »

.......... What's your favored source of ignition? Matches?

Some time ago momma gifted me a bundle of long cigar matches; which work well enough. That said, I now prefer a three flame butane cigar lighter - think pocket sized blow-torch. It works very well, and in a short time you become quite adept at controlling the heat when first toasting the foot of the cigar.

Offline muddy

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »

.......... What's your favored source of ignition? Matches?

Some time ago momma gifted me a bundle of long cigar matches; which work well enough. That said, I now prefer a three flame butane cigar lighter - think pocket sized blow-torch. It works very well, and in a short time you become quite adept at controlling the heat when first toasting the foot of the cigar.
I have several two and three flame torches.
I just picked up this one. It's pretty hefty, is three flame and lights Everytime.