Author Topic: tool sets vs single tools  (Read 5268 times)

Offline AnsonJ

tool sets vs single tools
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »
Something that I have noticed especially since Sears stores are disappearing faster than you can turn a ratchet...

The number of places where  you can buy a single wrench/ screwdriver/ socket etc are slowly going away.  Harbor freight sells sets.  I tend to remember being able to buy single wrenches there.  You want a 36mm wrench?  you can buy the set of large metric wrenches (which do not even include the 36mm, but that is another aggravating topic)

Menards, Lowes, and Home Despot have some single tools but not a lot, with Menards and Lowes being the best bet, at least here in the NE Indy area.  Generally when I break or need a tool I just go look for the single tool and add it to the collection when I am done.  If you are lucky enough to find a store with the single tools, you pay a premium for the tool. 

I guess Amazon/ online retailers are probably going to fill this niche, but shipping for a large chunk of iron is going to be expensive.

I really liked our Sears store here in Fishers, they only sold tools and appliances.  the tool section was great, they even had a nice section of Lisle automotive specialty tools but they closed last year :(

So without hitting up a Snap on or Matco truck (being an IT guy I only use my tools on a limited basis, usually on the cars) where do you go to for a single tools?  This is also puts a question on warrantying broken Craftsman tools, which was brought up in another section of this site, and if they only have "sets" how do they warranty the tool?  break into the "set"? or do you give them the broken tool and they send it off for replacement and you have to wait however long that will take, nevermind  that you probably need it right then.

anyways, just ranting a bit.

AJ
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline ken w.

Re: tool sets vs single tools
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:33:22 PM »
Auto part stores still sell single tools. NAPA and CARQUEST do.  I was just in Lowes today to get a replacement Craftsman Phillips screwdriver. The said they only carry sets and couldn't warranty my tool. I'll try Ace Hardware and see what happens.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:35:18 AM »
Yup -- auto parts stores in my area have a great selection of individual wrenches and tools in general. Many usually also offer a budget and a premium line. My local ACE hardware carries Craftsman, and they also have a big selection of singles hanging on the shelves.

I've been to HF when a customer brought in a single broken tool (i.e. swivel impact socket) and the assistant manager opened up a packaged set to replace the single item. HF gives their managers a lot of discretion to make sure customers are happy (ironically, that's what Sears used to do in the distant past). 

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 06:56:41 AM »
Our local hardware store "chain" (2 in town, and 4 in other nearby towns)  Does carry some Craftsman, but has other brands they sell individually.

Free coffee and popcorn too!

I too have seen the HF store Manager open a set to warranty an item.  I think the sets end up in the mark down area.... well unless someone grabbed one part of a set.... then they might end up there too.

Wehn I worked at the "Orange box" store  in the plumbing dept.  I use to save the open packages of the brass fittings  and try to do what I could to make a whole one again and put it back on the shelf.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »
I will second the auto parts stores.

I also sell a lot of singles, especially in the larger sizes.  Not unusual to sell multiples of the same size to a company with a specific application on a machine they have many of, or common sizes that get lost easily.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »
mdlbldrmatt135  - You wouldn't happen to live in Olean , NY ? That sounds like Worth Smith hardware.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
Why Ken,  Yes I do!

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 10:48:24 AM »
About all of the NAPA stores still have a good selection of singles if your into buying Carlyle. I would say your right though, amazon and the likes will fill this gap.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
Worth Smith Hardware is one of the largest hardware stores in the southern tier of New York. If they don't have it I'm not sure who would. A nice place to stop in for a few hours to just look around.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »
Worth Smith Hardware is one of the largest hardware stores in the southern tier of New York. If they don't have it I'm not sure who would. A nice place to stop in for a few hours to just look around.

Oh yeah...   not sure what to do....  go in and wander, and you'll figure it out looking at all the tools and hardware!

Offline john k

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »
The Menards I frequent here in Nebraska has a great selection of individual wrenches, sockets. etc.   Also sets.   The ACE hardware carry Craftsman individuals and sets.  Have one of those mini-Sears outlets with only tools and appliances,  bought a few things, but not fond of the store.  Car Quest auto parts also carries individuals tools. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 03:57:10 PM »
The last time I was in the Lowes closest to me (Burbank) they had open stock on sockets and wrenches. But who knows if they keep it that way. My guess is they will not.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 05:30:50 PM »
NAPA has Carlyle open stock but a single socket will run more than you can snag the whole set for at HF. Same with Lowes. I pick up sockets at estate sales all the time. got several boxes full of loose sockets and wrenchs, but still find myself headed to HF to get a set to torchup for a specialty tool. ;D

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 08:18:31 PM »
Quote from: AnsonJ
"...where do you go to for a single tools?"

Tacoma Screw carries a full line of open stock PROTO.

Right up the street is a "Tool Liquidators" outfit that has all kinds of odds and ends. Last time I was in there it was the only place in town that had a 1/2" drive 1-1/2" 12-point semi-deep socket to remove the element from a hot water tank. Made in China, but the job paid enough I could throw it away and still be ahead.

O'Reilly's Auto Parts carries open stock "Performance Tool" (formerly "Wilmar") - all Taiwan or China made.

McLendon's Hardware carries open stock hand tools - Stanley / DeWalt / Klein / Channellock / etc.

I'm sure there are other outfits around here as well - that's all I can think of off the top of my head. No shortage of retailers around here.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 08:26:03 PM »
NAPA has Carlyle open stock but a single socket will run more than you can snag the whole set for at HF. Same with Lowes. I pick up sockets at estate sales all the time. got several boxes full of loose sockets and wrenchs, but still find myself headed to HF to get a set to torchup for a specialty tool. ;D

Yeah -- same here on "torching and modding" cheap Chinese wrenches. Years ago HF used to sell "common size replacement packs" which included multiple same sized wrenches in the most common metric and SAE sizes. I bought a few sets on sale and they are used when a wrench needs to be sacrificed for a special purpose.