Author Topic: AMC PACER  (Read 11847 times)

Offline ken w.

Re: AMC PACER
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
Those are fresh NY plates on it. Maybe he was thinking $ 60.00 for it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 09:25:29 AM »
Oh Lord!! - I'd forgotten how truly ugly those cars were. Having seen these things during their heyday, they were not very well liked even when they were new. AMC had some great cars -- even the Gremlin with the straight six was a very reliable car, and the AMC Eagle 4x4 family of sedans and station wagons were way ahead of their time. Heck -- pretty much every AWD cross-over and sedan style SUV these days has its origins in the Eagle. ...BUT the Pacer? -- what a disaster. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 10:31:55 AM »
Oh Lord!! - I'd forgotten how truly ugly those cars were. Having seen these things during their heyday, they were not very well liked even when they were new. AMC had some great cars -- even the Gremlin with the straight six was a very reliable car, and the AMC Eagle 4x4 family of sedans and station wagons were way ahead of their time. Heck -- pretty much every AWD cross-over and sedan style SUV these days has its origins in the Eagle. ...BUT the Pacer? -- what a disaster. 

I can just imagine if I showed up at the huge Hot August Nights car show here in one of those fish bowls the laughter I would get. Would it fit in with all the muscle cars and hot rods?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
You older members remember this "famous" commercial? All the actors in this clip were in many other 1970's/80's commercials. Their faces you remember, but their names were easily forgotten.

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
Entertaining commercial, GF.  A fishbowl on wheels.
boop/bop/beep

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 02:52:36 PM »
Must have run recently, there are no trees growing up through it. :))

No self respecting tree would be seen growing through a Pacer.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
If I remember correctly , didn't these come with a V8 in them as an option ??

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 03:51:43 PM »
Originally it was designed around a rotary engine made by (I believe) GM. That engine never saw production and the product line scrapped so AMC scrambled to find a replacement which ended up an I6. But the engine didn't really fit the bay which was designed for the shorter rotary. There was a 5L option but I think it was only the last year or two of production.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
It did come with a V8 in the later model "tarted up" deluxe versions. To think they actually tried offering the thing in a "Sport" and "Luxury" version -- simply ghastly!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
Supposedly the designer of the Porsche 928 was a fan of and inspired by the Pacer.

To my eye not the best looking Porsche.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 05:59:00 PM »
How about a blown Pacer? Sure looks funny with a chute pack on it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Elroy

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 10:28:33 PM »
That Pacer is basically a joke
HOWEVER

Elroy would recommend that if you ever cross paths with an SC/Rambler..................Pay attention

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »
I owned a 75 and a 76 X version.  Both with the 4.2l and the X with a 727 auto.  Unkillable by methods that took out lesser cars.  Flipped one full sideways at 55 on purpose and it stayed four wheels down sideways braking.

Rust was the end of both.  I wasn't permitted plate renewal anymore. 

Slow RPM engine pushing the same rear axle a 1941 cryslur had and I could use pure torque to pull a two wheel burn for a full block.  Never going more than 30 mph.

Neither had working rear brakes ever and the roof even had rustholes.   Horrible winter cars.