Author Topic: Pops Remington Rand 1911a1 (Colt)  (Read 12580 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Pops Remington Rand 1911a1 (Colt)
« on: November 21, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
Last week I brought home pops Remington Rand 1911 a1 45 pistol. I have been doing a lot of research on the old girl and have concluded that I might never fire this gun. The gun was made in 1943 and is in amazing shape. So far all the numbers and marking check out including the armory stamp. I still need to strip it down and check out the numbers and markings on the barrel and internal parts.

The gun was still in its old leather holster with US in big raised letters. I know this gun came from the military through my uncle. He "acquired" many firearms during his lifetime career in the military which began right after the start of WWII. My uncle had many amazing firearms that he "acquired" and I am sure he had to have broken a lot of regulations and perhaps even laws in doing so. In his collection years ago when he was still alive I personally held two German Lugar's, nickel plated and complete with swastika's and Third Reich insignias. So I am quite certain this 45 is about as legit as it gets.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: Pops Remington Rand 1911a1 (Colt)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
Neat story UB, similar to my own.

I inherited from my late Father a 1911, Colt .45 that belonged to his Uncle Bill, a sailor in WWI who lied about his age and enlisted at 16 but that's another story.

Using the markings I was able to date it from that era and I remembered my Father firing it so I took it to the range after a thorough cleaning and general functionality check.  It fired just fine but frequently did not eject the cartridge, so not being any kind of gunsmith, I checked online and found that the return spring was probably fatigued and needed replacement.  I ordered one directly from Colt which came with a card to certify its authenticity.  The second firing was with a friend who has a Luger from 1940s where it worked flawlessly with target ammo, never failing to eject the spent cartridge. 

As we were firing the 1911 and Luger it was very apparent to both of us that the sites SUCK!  These were close-quarter personal weapons not meant for any type of aiming.

A family heirloom for sure.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »
I too have a similar story.

I have a Walther PPK .32cal. that dad brought back from WWII. During the war my dad's unit decided to use a small towns "city hall" for a command station. My dad sent his driver to check out the basement. The driver came back and said "You gotta check this out"!! My dad went to the basement and there was an arsenal big enough to have their own war. On the shelf were boxes and boxes of these PPK's. Dad gave one to his driver and one to a friend and kept one for himself.
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »
I inherited the family Luger, in .30, a real sweet pistol.

But my prized possession pistol wise is the Browning Hi-Power my father gave me. He bought new it when my folks had been married just a few years, when he was still a grad student. At that time he had probably put 50 rounds through it. My brother got our grandfathers old Colt revolver and Winchester.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 05:11:07 PM »
Need pics of all these.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »
UB, you might not want to store it in the holster. I stored mine for a few years in the holster and it rusted pretty badly. It may have been the cheap piss tanned mexico leather holster but I don't take any chances nowdays.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »
Great story! I will own a war Issue 1911 before I die!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Online oldnslo

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 07:41:04 PM »
The greatest pistol.......EV-ah.

I just may have one or two in my collection. I reload 45acp, and used to shoot competitively. Great sport.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 07:50:38 PM »
What are the new Colt 1911s like?

Offline jabberwoki

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 08:23:25 PM »

I just may have one or two in my collection. I reload 45acp, and used to shoot competitively. Great sport.

Debatable.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
https://offerup.com/item/detail/410256107/

A twin to the holster mine is in. Pops has been in that holster for over 50 years so I will probably just leave it as it is.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 11:54:46 PM »

Debatable.
Is it ?
You can believe otherwise, but you can't exactly say otherwise because you'll get nowhere   ;D

I want one but don't actually own any firearms yet, so i can't really have much opinion on the matter.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 12:24:46 AM »
The brown US holster is definitely WWII or earlier.  I have one that was brown but has a gloss black finish on the outside.  I bought a 1911 when I went after a new pistol, mainly because I carried one for so long, that reloading and immediate action would take no extra thought.   Glad to hear of folks hanging onto these family heirlooms. 

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 03:41:02 PM »
Bought a Colt 911 through the NRA program back in the 60's for $15.00. :)