Author Topic: Exchanged the old EDC pistol for a new model --  (Read 17044 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Exchanged the old EDC pistol for a new model --
« on: December 02, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »
I was carrying this DA-SA Astra A-75L 9mm since the early 90's. It's been one of the three pistols that I regularly carry, but end of last year the firing pin started acting up -- light primer strikes. After initial tests on the main spring it turned out that firing pin was significantly worn. This pistol has thousands of rounds through it, and the problem is that the gun is so rare these days that there are no parts available anymore. Time to put it in the safe and move it into "collectible" status.

I'm a firm believer in using a utilitarian firearm for EDC, and not a carrying an expensive or exotic firearm because they can be damaged and in certain instances confiscated. I wouldn't cry if one of my EDCs were damaged or impounded. That's why I stopped carrying a P35 Browning Hi-Power back in the 80s; it's just too rare and valuable these days.

The replacement for the Astra was hard because it was a light aluminum alloy frame with a single stack 8+1 capacity. After searching for a while I ended up with this DA-SA Bersa Ultra-Compact Pro 9mm with a 13+1 double stack magazine. Modestly priced, and about the same size, but the frame is made of steel -- so it's a few ounces heavier.

Coupled with a custom FALCO IWB holster and I have an EDC package that is much more reliable than the old Astra.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:32:16 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Exchanged the old EDC pistol for a new model --
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
Very nice gf. You do have to have confidence in your EDC that it will do the job. I like my S&W Shield 9 as no can tell it is inside my belt. It came with 7 & 8 round capacity mags so 9 shots it is on 1st load and 7 on the second.
On Friday I stopped by the wife's work on the way home from the airport. She told me that they had fired an employee for repeated safety violations and he didn't take it well and was alluding to threats. It just so happened that the new plant manager had not brought his EDC Glock that day. I pulled mine off my belt and handed it to the wife to put in her office. I showed the PM the features and he ended up wearing it the rest of the day and he told the wife how nice it was to carry compared to the Glock.

The wife's work is not a gun free zone and the president knows every time I walk in the door I am armed and he likes it.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
Very nice gf. You do have to have confidence in your EDC that it will do the job. I like my S&W Shield 9 as no can tell it is inside my belt. It came with 7 & 8 round capacity mags so 9 shots it is on 1st load and 7 on the second.
On Friday I stopped by the wife's work on the way home from the airport. She told me that they had fired an employee for repeated safety violations and he didn't take it well and was alluding to threats. It just so happened that the new plant manager had not brought his EDC Glock that day. I pulled mine off my belt and handed it to the wife to put in her office. I showed the PM the features and he ended up wearing it the rest of the day and he told the wife how nice it was to carry compared to the Glock.

The wife's work is not a gun free zone and the president knows every time I walk in the door I am armed and he likes it.

Right you are DN -- Confidence is key! I also regularly carry a SIG P250 Compact and a Rossi 38 snub nose -- all have literally thousands of rounds through them, and they have never failed. When the Astra took a dump it was disappointing that a firing pin was not available anywhere -- I did find a source (thanks to Rusty) for a custom shop that makes firing pins, but at this stage, it's a moot point. The Bersa functions and carries very well. 

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »
The very first pistol I bought was an Astra A90, the big brother to yours. That one was a lemon, unfortunately, always stovepiping. Replaced it with a 1911, which I never really fell in love with. But I hear you about nice pistols and carrying. I don't carry, but the side of the bed gun is an old S&W .38. No worries if becomes evidence for a while. My hi-power stays locked up.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
I've been toting the S&W air weight .38 snubby lately.  Don't have to think just point and shoot.

I'm no hero. 5 rounds and run like the wind. ;D

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »

...........I'm no hero. 5 rounds and run like the wind. ;D

I like your thinking my friend --

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
My carry when I can be bothered
Beretta px40 storm subcompact in .40, stupid name tho.

She`s a my fat littla bambina
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:24:33 PM by jabberwoki »
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »
nice looking setup!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline mrchuck

• 10-49
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »
I don't walk outside anywhere,or go anywhere without my concealed handgun.
I'm too old to use an arm-bar or any physical take-downs.

yes sir, no sir, no excuse sir

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »
I like bersas very nice.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »
The airweight goes with me on most cycling trips.

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »
I carry an LC9S, and an extra mag. That's 15 rounds of Hornady Critical defense.

Bersa makes some real nice guns!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:02:14 PM by muddy »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »
Nice setup Tim -- compact and easy to deploy

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Very nice Tim. I hope you have a secure place to keep it so Sam doesn't get ahold of it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »
Very nice Tim. I hope you have a secure place to keep it so Sam doesn't get ahold of it.
Yep, I redid a gun cabinet ( that my wife's great grandfather built) about a year ago.

Put a lock on the bottom doors since they didn't have one. The top door had a lock.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk