Author Topic: Exchanged the old EDC pistol for a new model --  (Read 17033 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Exchanged the old EDC pistol for a new model --
« on: December 02, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »
I was carrying this DA-SA Astra A-75L 9mm since the early 90's. It's been one of the three pistols that I regularly carry, but end of last year the firing pin started acting up -- light primer strikes. After initial tests on the main spring it turned out that firing pin was significantly worn. This pistol has thousands of rounds through it, and the problem is that the gun is so rare these days that there are no parts available anymore. Time to put it in the safe and move it into "collectible" status.

I'm a firm believer in using a utilitarian firearm for EDC, and not a carrying an expensive or exotic firearm because they can be damaged and in certain instances confiscated. I wouldn't cry if one of my EDCs were damaged or impounded. That's why I stopped carrying a P35 Browning Hi-Power back in the 80s; it's just too rare and valuable these days.

The replacement for the Astra was hard because it was a light aluminum alloy frame with a single stack 8+1 capacity. After searching for a while I ended up with this DA-SA Bersa Ultra-Compact Pro 9mm with a 13+1 double stack magazine. Modestly priced, and about the same size, but the frame is made of steel -- so it's a few ounces heavier.

Coupled with a custom FALCO IWB holster and I have an EDC package that is much more reliable than the old Astra.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:32:16 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Exchanged the old EDC pistol for a new model --
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
Very nice gf. You do have to have confidence in your EDC that it will do the job. I like my S&W Shield 9 as no can tell it is inside my belt. It came with 7 & 8 round capacity mags so 9 shots it is on 1st load and 7 on the second.
On Friday I stopped by the wife's work on the way home from the airport. She told me that they had fired an employee for repeated safety violations and he didn't take it well and was alluding to threats. It just so happened that the new plant manager had not brought his EDC Glock that day. I pulled mine off my belt and handed it to the wife to put in her office. I showed the PM the features and he ended up wearing it the rest of the day and he told the wife how nice it was to carry compared to the Glock.

The wife's work is not a gun free zone and the president knows every time I walk in the door I am armed and he likes it.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
Very nice gf. You do have to have confidence in your EDC that it will do the job. I like my S&W Shield 9 as no can tell it is inside my belt. It came with 7 & 8 round capacity mags so 9 shots it is on 1st load and 7 on the second.
On Friday I stopped by the wife's work on the way home from the airport. She told me that they had fired an employee for repeated safety violations and he didn't take it well and was alluding to threats. It just so happened that the new plant manager had not brought his EDC Glock that day. I pulled mine off my belt and handed it to the wife to put in her office. I showed the PM the features and he ended up wearing it the rest of the day and he told the wife how nice it was to carry compared to the Glock.

The wife's work is not a gun free zone and the president knows every time I walk in the door I am armed and he likes it.

Right you are DN -- Confidence is key! I also regularly carry a SIG P250 Compact and a Rossi 38 snub nose -- all have literally thousands of rounds through them, and they have never failed. When the Astra took a dump it was disappointing that a firing pin was not available anywhere -- I did find a source (thanks to Rusty) for a custom shop that makes firing pins, but at this stage, it's a moot point. The Bersa functions and carries very well. 

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »
The very first pistol I bought was an Astra A90, the big brother to yours. That one was a lemon, unfortunately, always stovepiping. Replaced it with a 1911, which I never really fell in love with. But I hear you about nice pistols and carrying. I don't carry, but the side of the bed gun is an old S&W .38. No worries if becomes evidence for a while. My hi-power stays locked up.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
I've been toting the S&W air weight .38 snubby lately.  Don't have to think just point and shoot.

I'm no hero. 5 rounds and run like the wind. ;D

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »

...........I'm no hero. 5 rounds and run like the wind. ;D

I like your thinking my friend --

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
My carry when I can be bothered
Beretta px40 storm subcompact in .40, stupid name tho.

She`s a my fat littla bambina
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:24:33 PM by jabberwoki »
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »
nice looking setup!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline mrchuck

• 10-49
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »
I don't walk outside anywhere,or go anywhere without my concealed handgun.
I'm too old to use an arm-bar or any physical take-downs.

yes sir, no sir, no excuse sir

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »
I like bersas very nice.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »
The airweight goes with me on most cycling trips.

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »
I carry an LC9S, and an extra mag. That's 15 rounds of Hornady Critical defense.

Bersa makes some real nice guns!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:02:14 PM by muddy »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »
Nice setup Tim -- compact and easy to deploy

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Very nice Tim. I hope you have a secure place to keep it so Sam doesn't get ahold of it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »
Very nice Tim. I hope you have a secure place to keep it so Sam doesn't get ahold of it.
Yep, I redid a gun cabinet ( that my wife's great grandfather built) about a year ago.

Put a lock on the bottom doors since they didn't have one. The top door had a lock.

Offline muddy

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »
I'm looking at getting a .45 and I'm kinda a Ruger guy. I'm looking into a Ruger American Compact.

I think they are easily comparable to Glocks.

Glocks are great guns, I just can't justify their price tags it seems.

https://ruger.com/products/rugerAmericanPistol/specSheets/8645.html

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
Mudds, you need to repost a pic of that cabinet you restored.

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
Mudds, you need to repost a pic of that cabinet you restored.
I plan to move it to the bedroom this weekend I'll grab a pic of it "loaded".

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 10:05:07 PM »
Sweet ta.

Offline highland512

Exchanged the old EDC pistol for a new model --
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »
I love the way the Bersa feels in my hand, I just never have got urge to buy one. I have been carrying every day since 2010. My first EDC was a J frame, I still carry it when its cold out. I love the simplicity of it, I know no matter what with it 2 squeezes of the trigger it will go bang. My current EDC is either a 380 bodyguard or a 9mm shield. I LOVE the shield, fits my hand great and its a blast to shoot but its on the large side for a pocket carry. Working in an office 90% of the time limits how I can carry and still meat the suggested dress code.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:30:25 AM by highland512 »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
These are my EDC -- I carry one of these daily; no exception unless I'm going into prohibited areas, buildings, US states, etc. All are in custom FALCO IWB holters and are non-striker fired pistols. I don't like stiker fired pistols for many reasons, but that is a personal preference.

The Bersa Ultra Compact Pro and SIG P250 Compact are my daily carries - while the Rossi snub-noise is mostly used as a truck/car firearm -- always in the glove compartment or side pocket. These are relatively inexpensive firearms and can be thought of as expendable if the need arises. 

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:04:05 PM by goodfellow »

Offline highland512

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »
I have heard of people not liking striker fired pistols. What is it you do not like about them GF? Only complaint I have is the take up feels "mushy" vs a da/sa gun.  Have you ever looked at a sig 2022? Very crisp trigger at a affordable price.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
I have heard of people not liking striker fired pistols. What is it you do not like about them GF? Only complaint I have is the take up feels "mushy" vs a da/sa gun.  Have you ever looked at a sig 2022? Very crisp trigger at a affordable price.

I own a SIG SP2022 in 9mm and love it. In fact it sits in my nightstand and is one of my favorite pistols. I'm a SIG fan and have always preferred the SIG decocker system. I used to own a P226 and sold it some years ago because it was just too heavy a pistol, and regretted selling it. When the Sig Pro 2340 came along I was a bit hesitant, but it eventually morphed into the SP2022 and I was sold. It's been my home defense pistol for many years, and I train with it regularly.

Striker fired is not my choice because of the way the trigger feels and the safety issues. I was raised on revolvers and prefer a double action hammer fired pistol -- in fact I'm most accurate and adept with the DAO P250 because it has the cleanest/crisp double action pull of any firearm I've ever owned -- bar none. Strikers don't even come close.

Strikers with their low trigger pull weight and without a manual safety are in my opinion (my personal bias) an accident waiting to happen. Unless someone is absolutely trained to the max on strikers and instinctively keeps the index finger off the trigger, then they're OK. However, I've seen enough negligent discharges with Glocks and SDs that I do not recommend them for the average person looking for a home defense pistol. In a high stress situation many highly trained civilians, LEOs, and para-military personnel have shot themselves (or others) by accident "resting" their finger on that trigger. Good training and muscle memory went out the window when the adrenaline was pumping  -- just look up the term "Glock Leg" and you'll get a lot of hits (metaphorically speaking --- LOL) ;) ;) ;)

Back when I was a pup, we carried single action Hi-Powers and 1911s "cocked and locked" with the safety always on because the trigger pull was so light. These days we have strikers with about the same pull and are told not to worry about manual safeties because the gun has a secondary trigger safety. I just don't buy it -- and have seen the results in person.

Therefore, I carry appendix IWB and will only trust my gonads and femoral artery to a heavy 9-10lb DA first pull pistol (or a DA revolver). Personal preference, and many will argue the point, but at my age it's just experience and training that has formed these opinions. I've trained many CCW students who use and carry strikers successfully and I don't preach or try to influence their decisions. I just give them my own opinion and leave it at that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 03:26:45 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
Ray, I don't have half the experience you do.

I like my striker fired LC9S.

Growing up I shot dad's Colt Combat Commander 1911 and his Ruger Blackhawk 44. mag. The Black hawk had a very light trigger.

I came to really like a light trigger.

That being said, you never carried the wheel gun with 6 in it. Also the 1911 had two safety's thumb and palm.

My LC9S has a manual safety, as much as people hate them I think I'd be hard pressed to buy a pistol without one.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »
I have a Virginian Dragoon in .44 mag with a six inch barrel in stainless. I only carry it with 5 rounds even though it has extra trigger block safety features. There is one chamber on the cylinder with a dot on either side. That is the one to leave empty and when you look at the top of the cylinder you can see a dot on either side of the frame and know you are on the empty cylinder.
My Shield 9 has a manual safety and that is the only reason I carry it with one in the pipe.

Offline highland512

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
My concern with that is would I be able to remember to hit the safety if I ever have to pull it. Hell, half the time when I'm out having fun I forget to hit the safety.

Offline muddy

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 05:40:41 PM »
My concern with that is would I be able to remember to hit the safety if I ever have to pull it. Hell, half the time when I'm out having fun I forget to hit the safety.
Practice practice practice, and it'll become second nature.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2022, 05:33:53 PM »
I did find a source (thanks to Rusty) for a custom shop that makes firing pins, but at this stage, it's a moot point.

The lucky of Elroy. The Colt (made by Walther) has a broken firing pin. Hope we can find a replacement.

Offline ron350

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2022, 09:16:33 PM »
Elroy what is the model # on that Walther .22?

Offline Elroy

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2022, 09:41:44 PM »
Elroy what is the model # on that Walther .22?

It's a Colt 1911-22 manufactured in Germany by Walther and distributed by Umarex, It's a .22 LR

Offline ron350

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2022, 10:06:34 PM »
Do you want me to show that picture around the1911 forums and see what they might know?

Offline Elroy

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2022, 10:39:55 PM »
Do you want me to show that picture around the1911 forums and see what they might know?

Feel free. Had that thing for at least 10 years and ran a bunch of rounds through it. Came to Elroy well used with a failure to lock open on the last round. That was an easy fix with a safe edge file. The firing pin is simple enough and we got all the parts so if a replacement proves elusive, a piece of air hard flat stock should solve the problem.

Venture to say most Colt snobs would call it junk and tell ya to go buy an ACE for $3,500. Elroy paid $200 and shot the hell out of it. It's no big deal one way or the other. It's just more shit to fix.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 10:44:09 PM by Elroy »

Offline ron350

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2022, 11:51:09 AM »
So far i have 2 links with contact information and still have other 1911 forums to check.

First one shows exploded view with fireing pin #15 and gives the phone # for Umarex.
https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?86-Colt-Government-1911-22LR-by-Umarex-USA

Second link has Walther phne number.
https://waltherarms.com/colt-1911-a1-2/

Offline Elroy

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2022, 10:13:50 AM »
Well it was a pleasure speaking with Walther Arms this morning. A three minute phone call citing the 517.400.08.0 part number yields a replacement firing pin due in the mail.  :-*

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »
Walther always was and is committed to customer service and quality products.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2022, 06:26:12 PM »
I know a guy that could make one if you get stuck E.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »

That won't be necessary

yes they are

Offline muddy

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »

That won't be necessary

yes they are
Great to hear they came through. Was probably a common issue or even a recall

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2022, 04:52:22 PM »
Walther makes some nice firearms. My EDC for many years. Until the world went crazy. Then a cheaper sidearm was called for. Just it case it got confiscated

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2022, 09:12:05 PM »
Beautiful PPK slip knot. Is there a story behind that custom engraving, or did you buy it off-the-shelf like that? I also had to retire a classic Browning P35 Hi-Power as my EDC for the same reason. Too valuable to carry and possibly get confiscated. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:13:52 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2022, 11:31:55 PM »
I bought the PPK from the estate of a local LEO. he had two of the PPKs that I bought, this one and a blued model. He also had a swastika'd Luger and a like new Colt SAA that I passed on. Still kicking myself for that.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2022, 09:10:55 AM »
I bought the PPK from the estate of a local LEO. he had.........a like new Colt SAA that I passed on. Still kicking myself for that.

Too bad about that SAA.
That PPK is  :cool2:

Offline muddy

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2022, 09:36:00 PM »
Wow I'd be afraid to EDC that PPK just because of it's beauty!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk