Author Topic: How about slide rules?  (Read 23020 times)

Offline nelstomlinson

Re: How about slide rules?
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2021, 07:05:54 PM »
 That's a nice one!  Concise is still in business, and I bought a couple of new circular slide rules direct from Japan a few years back. Not nearly as cool as your Collins branded one. Can't tell from your pics; does yours have any special electronics scales?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2021, 08:11:29 AM »
Thanks for the compliment!

Doesn't appear to have any special scales to me. I like it, though. Really compact!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »
Just used the new circular rule to compute my gas mileage on the Astrovan. 12.76 gallons to go 215 miles. Read a bit more than 16.8 mpg.
Did it on the calculator: 16.84. Close enough for the girls I go with!  :))  Plus, I'm amazed the mileage is so good on a moving white box of a vehicle!

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2021, 11:32:38 PM »
I wear a watch with an E6B flight computer around the outside. That's just a C and D scale with some special gauge marks for pilots. I usually use it at the gas station, too.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2021, 08:56:42 AM »
I wear a watch with an E6B flight computer around the outside. That's just a C and D scale with some special gauge marks for pilots. I usually use it at the gas station, too.
How about a picture of the watch?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2022, 12:11:18 PM »
Found another beauty! A 12" Pickett, trig model in aluminum. With leather case.

Immaculate condition, 1959 copyright date. Paid $1.50
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:28:07 PM by bonneyman »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2022, 05:34:06 PM »
That is a beauty George. When an EMP attack takes out our computers you will have a bunch of treasure. :great:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2022, 05:49:09 PM »
That is a beauty George. When an EMP attack takes out our computers you will have a bunch of treasure. :great:

Indeed Les, but in my case I wouldn't remember how to use one. My freshman year in college we had to take a course in the use of the slide rule, but thankfully that same year Hewlett-Packard released their HP-35 scientific calculator, which made "the stick" obsolete in just a few months.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2022, 08:51:21 PM »
If anyone needs "bathroom reading material" - or something to put you to sleep - here's an on-line article of 91 pages all about slide rules.  :))

https://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/pes/switchgear/presentations/tp_files/2012-1_Lunch_Webb.pdf

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2022, 07:10:26 PM »
Found another Pickett 12"er at an estate sale, a model N902-T Simplex Trig. Got it for basically free (as it was part of a small lot we bought). Got it just for parts, as it has some issues (Dirty and chipped finish, missing screws, damaged cursor, broken cursor spring). But then upon research discovered it was a 1949 magnesium bodied trig model, so might just try restoring it and using it.

It also has instructions on how to use it embossed on the back.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2022, 07:21:22 PM »
Well, I worked on the latest rule today. Found a body screw (my biggest concern) and cleaned it up. But the faceplate enamel was pretty thin. But the cursor plastic just fell apart while disassembling it. One can be had for $40, but that's not in my budget. So I'll hang on to it to see if an appropriate donor becomes available.  Not a bad deal for free.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
Found another unique slide rule today. A circular binary rule. 8" diameter, a bit unusual and will take some getting used to but I think once mastered it will be easier to use that the linear types. Aluminum body, with 3 slides arms. Will also do fractions, and drill and tap sizes. Faux leather carry case and user manual included! Cost me $2.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 03:05:27 PM by bonneyman »

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2022, 11:27:34 PM »
I have one of those! Yes, it is a bit easier to use once you get used to it.