Author Topic: Nail gun  (Read 13013 times)

Offline muddy

Nail gun
« on: December 08, 2018, 10:41:28 PM »
Okay guys educate and recommend me a nail gun.

I mostly do small woodworking projects every now and then.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Nail gun
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 11:47:14 PM »
Never owned a nail gun but would like to have a brad nailer for trim.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »
Occasional woodworking, I have one each of the Harbor freight  Brad nailers and staplers.   They work pretty decent for the cost.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 08:17:36 AM »
I'm no woodworker, and I truly don't have a talent in that area, but like mdlbldrmatt135 I also purchased the HF brad nailer for occasional molding, trim, and laminate repair around the house. It's worked out pretty well so far. It gets used three/four times a year on small projects, and has been going strong for over a decade.

That said, while the HF tool itself is OK, their fasteners are not. I get better reliability with quality Bostitch brads.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:22:35 AM by goodfellow »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
every now and then.

Those are the key words as to why I dont own one. Nothing stops me from buying a tool I will use with "some" regularity, but another electrical/pneumatic tool that sees little use has fallen off my tool-radar.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
I'll recommend the HF stuff as well. I've got several nailers of various brands and they've all needed to be repaired. For what I spent on repairs it would have been cheaper to just replace them with HF crap. And they weren't that old either.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 06:55:00 PM »
I used to have one, but it froze up on me and I never bothered to clean it up. I use finish nails and a nail set again. Just as happy.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 05:02:57 AM »
To expand on what Goodfellow said... I do get the Fasteners at the Big box store...  I think the last ones I bought were Porter Cable brand.

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 07:44:12 AM »
Any light trim or molding work will require a Brad nailer. I bought my paslode brad nailer at a pawn shop for $30.

Paslode is the snap on of nail gun in my opinion, many great guns out there but Paslode is on the pedestal. Bostich is good, along with Senco. When it comes to a brad nailer or trim nailer about any of them should work for you.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:48:08 AM by highland512 »

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »
If you are only going to buy one now, get a brad nailer.  They come in different sizes (the size brad they will accept).  I have a porter cable and it has put up a lot of trim for myself and friends.  However it only accepts brads up to 1 3/4 inches and in some cases it is not enough.  So I got a HF that goes to 2 1/2 inches and is an okay tool. Have run 1000's of brads through the porter cable and it is still going strong.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 08:23:11 PM »
Mudds I have a bosctec nail gun and a Senco brad nailer.
Once you have one you`ll wonder how you ever lived with out one.
Both mine were bought used of Craig's list on the cheap.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »

Do you own anything that wasn't?

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »

Do you own anything that wasn't?
:))

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 08:07:23 AM »
Yes, once you have a brad nailer you will wonder how you ever did without one.  I cannot tell how many pieces of wood I split with a hammer using finish nails.  Also, you will align pieces better because it nails faster than the pieces slip.  And, because it is so fast the wood does not react, thus no splits.  Just be careful and don't hold the pieces within range of the brad, due to wood grain, knots etc. the braid might go in a direction you didn't intend and end up in your finger.  I talk from experience! :)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
I don't do much work with wood, and often when I do it involves lumber like 2 x4's, 6, 8, 10 and plywood. Years ago I bought a Bostitch brad nailer on the cheap but honestly, I have never used it once. I think it would be very handy, I just don't have a need often enough.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!