Author Topic: More tools  (Read 3525 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

More tools
« on: February 12, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »
I've got two 24" squares two 8" speed squares and a couple combination squares , but I didn't have a 12" square which I truthfully would be using the most anyways so I went to the hardware store to pick one up.
Of course I can never leave with just what I went in for.

The square is self explanatory and there's not much that can go wrong there.

The Craftsman 8" slipjoint pliers are awesome, no sears outlets near me so I payed $14.99 but man are they nice. Oddly enough the little 6" needle nose pliers were $18.99 but I'm assuming these were cheaper because they were the last pair.

I wouldn't bat an eye if they said Snap-on and costed $40.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

Re: More tools
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:15:27 PM »
You might want to do the old 3-4-5 trick on the 24" square, they can be a little bit off and you need to adjust them with a punch.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:06:05 PM »
You might want to do the old 3-4-5 trick on the 24" square, they can be a little bit off and you need to adjust them with a punch.
Are you talking about this 12" square or the my two old 24's ?

I don't know what the 3-4-5 trick is, but I've used those old 24's of my grandfather's for years without knowing they could be off and now I'm worried how many things I've used it on could be off  ???

Ones a Johnson and the other a master mechanic.
Always lookin' to learn

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »

.......I don't know what the 3-4-5 trick is.....

Ones a Johnson and the other a master mechanic.

Carpenters and metal fabricators use the basic Pythagorean Theorem -- a(a) + b(b) = c(c) to check the accuracy of a right angle measurement. 

the 3,4,5 rule for instance --  square 3, and then measure 9" from the corner of one side of the right angle and make a mark, then square 4 and measure 16" from the corner on the other side of the angle and make a mark , then square 5 and measure 25" diagonally (the hypotenuse) between the two marks you just made. If the diagonal distance is 25" between the marks, then you have a good square fitting right angle. If not, you will have to readjust your alignments until the marks are precisely 25" apart from each other -- when measured diagonally.

For small pieces just measure 3" in one direction and 4" in the other -- the diagonal should be 5 inches

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:40:05 AM by goodfellow »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:38:50 AM »
 Measure and read across a square or rectangle, diagonally  " X " insuring that both corners read the same. Seems to work well, no math adjustment, correction needed. Check the corners with a square then try to assemble square.

If welding tack the corners diagonally, verify and weld.

Wood assembly, one will be surprised at the amount of variation found,  example HD "L" braces, or brackets. NP bracket, bend to adjust, brace skew to suit.

If a tape has an error from one to another, makes no difference .Should a different tape from the one used for layout be used when checking square.

The square can be checked accurately  X , sure the measured reading of the 2 tapes will vary. That does not matter as long as the tape used reads the same at both corners.

Never saw a full square laid out & read, in that video, did not have the sound running, no need. Not rocket science
1776 ................... what happened!