Author Topic: This weekends task  (Read 5157 times)

Offline jabberwoki

This weekends task
« on: January 02, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »

Well just the headliner removal anyway. I`ve got a water leak to find . So I`m pulling the headliner out and watering the roof to see where it`s coming in.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: This weekends task
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:11:10 PM »
Oh fudge I don't envy you. Crappy job all around.

Be super careful around the dome light. My buddy had the headliner out of his 07 F350 to fix a leak and shorted the dome light with the screwdriver, which fried a non-servicable fusible link in his gauge cluster (because those two things need to be connected????_. A $500 reman unit later, he had gauges again. I don't know if furd got that straightened out or not.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 10:35:56 PM »
Do you have a sunroof? I wonder if it is one of those drain tubes? That guy makes a very nice DIY video with very clear instructions. That should be a big help.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »
Well the first thing I`ll be doing is to disconnect the battery . I`ve done a light compressed air blow job on the drain tubes and they seam fine. So re sealing the satellite radio antenna is the next step.

In some perverted way im looking forward to it.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »
I was more than a little surprised to see he still had the battery hooked up and working around those side airbags.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
Likely culprit is the SAT antenna -- seen it several times on GM vehicles. They seem to come loose when people drive them through certain type car washes that have aggressive roof agitators.

Dropping the headliner of GM cars to tighten the antenna is a pain -- not difficult, but it's fiddly.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »
Just the soft flexible lip and a foam ring to seal it, judging from the dust , not good enough.

I cleaned the area with wax and grease remover then scuffed the area with a scotch pad and cleaned again.
Then a ring of ATV silicone around each hole and just inside the lip of the antenna and reassembled. Not too happy with the nut/tension bolt on the inside, I could not get it to pull down to my liking but it was going to strip if I put too much tension on it.
Ill give it 24 hrs.' to set up then put the hose to it and see.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
In hindsight I could have threaded that alignment dowel and put a nut on that too.