Author Topic: For all our friends that own Audi and VWs with 6 cyl. engines -- wow!!  (Read 12065 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Just changing the water pump you have to remove the entire front end  :-\  and evacuate the AC system

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:32:16 PM by goodfellow »

Offline ken w.

Re: For all our friends that own Audi and VWs with 6 cyl. engines -- wow!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:58:36 PM »
Yup. Had to do that to replace the Alternator too.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
Yup. Had to do that to replace the Alternator too.

Amazing -- it makes me wonder how people can shell out the $$ for these types of repairs if they can't do them themselves. German luxury cars (and their German owned British cousins) seem to especially bleed money at very high rates.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:40:59 PM »
Two local repair shops wouldn't touch it. A 3rd wanted $ 1400.00 to do it. It wasn't that hard of a job , just a bit time consuming.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:46:22 PM »
Yep. My 03 Passat 1.8T looks about like that to do the timing belt. It's due again and I don't really look forward to doing it. It is a nice driving, tough as nails car though. I rally it hard 500 miles a week and it keeps on ticking. I work regularly on Euro scientific equipment at work, and their cars are designed in the same fashion. Once you figure out their methodology, it makes a lot of sense how thing go. I will definitely own another German car. The maintenance schedule is a little more than American iron, but they will really stand a beating IMHO. I like how they handle as well. Very tight and heavy. Not tinny and loose like Japanese rigs.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 11:33:21 AM »
..... same car but he needs to change the thermostat and a feeder hose under the supercharger. You have got to be kidding me. This is a prime example of engineers going absolutely out of their collective pointy headed minds. Audi/VW -- I know some people love them, but from my limited DIY perspective -- no thanks!!! 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »
My neighbor the Saab mechanic likes to say, if you can't afford a new BMW, you sure can't afford a used one :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »
My neighbor the Saab mechanic likes to say, if you can't afford a new BMW, you sure can't afford a used one :))

So true -- my colleague has been a die hard BMW owner for decades. His first BMW was a 2002 purchased back in 1974, and has been driving a BMW ever since. Even this die hard BMW fan says that BMW stands for "Bring Mega Wallet" -- I always get a kick out of that because his repair bills are very high, yet he's a loyal owner.

Case in point -- fuel pump replacement on his 750 (I think a 2009) -- was around $3500  :-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:29:29 AM by goodfellow »

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »

So true -- my colleague has been a die hard BMW owner for decades. His first BMW was a 2002 purchased back in 1974, and has been driving a BMW ever since. Even this die hard BMW fan says that BMW stands for "Bring Mega Wallet" -- I always get a kick out of that because his repair bills are very high, yet he's a loyal owner.

Case in point -- fuel pump replacement on his 750 (I think a 2009) -- was around $3500  :-\ :-\ :-\

What kinda time machine did he have to get that car?

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 11:31:01 AM »

His first BMW was a 2002 purchased back in 1974

What kinda time machine did he have to get that car?

Doc Brown and Marty McFly dropped it off,  ;D
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 01:52:35 PM »
No time machine needed to have a 2002 in 1974. I had a roommate who had one that was orange like this one.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
No time machine needed to have a 2002 in 1974. I had a roommate who had one that was orange like this one.

Oof I’m an idiot.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 02:18:29 PM »
I would love to have a 2002.  Still remember seeing one driving on the campus loop at Va Tech in 75/76.  Very cool

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »

Oof I’m an idiot.

Haha, don't fret, you are too young to know the 2002 was a model not a year.  It's not like the have a big following, but they do have a loyal fan base.

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 05:56:35 PM »

Haha, don't fret, you are too young to know the 2002 was a model not a year.  It's not like the have a big following, but they do have a loyal fan base.
[/quote]

Some folks credit this model with saving BMW auto production.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Elroy

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »
I had a roommate who had one that was orange [2002] like this one.

Elroy had a roomy in college that also had a 2002. Like a fool Elroy let himself be talked into performing a basic "tune-up". The "timing mark" was located at 5 o'clock which basically require one to lay on their back and crawl under the front bumper to illuminate the timing mark. It was a true POS .  Elroy can assure you the great German engineering still sucks.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »

Oof I’m an idiot.

Don't worry about it. We know that 1974 is ancient times to you young whippersnappers.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 07:32:49 PM »
I had a 2002 for a couple of years. It had rot issues being in the salty north. I  had a 318 325i . All were nice cars after I straightened out the usual problems. I worked at a BMW dealer and bought them all cheap. I'm over them all. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:02 PM »
I had a friend who a 2002 - same orange color. It was a great car to drive but he hated it. So much so he wanted to drive it into the nearest river and report it stolen. He never actually did but he sure talked about doing it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 10:50:44 PM »
I had one for a short time -- it was a special version; the Tii. It was BMW's attempt at a sport package with an upgraded suspension and mechanical Kugelfischer fuel injection. Few were made and I sold it to pay for college expenses. In hindsight the decision was a good one, but it still hurts almost 40 years later.

There was also a Ti model that used two carbs with a high compression head, but the Tii with fuel injection was "the bomb" at that time.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 07:49:21 AM »

Didn't know that. 

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »

Didn't know that.
To be specific it was the "Neue Klasse" of which the 2002 grew from.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
Had to google Neue Klasse, very cool

Not up on older BMW's at all or history of the company but man are they sharp

https://www.google.com/search?q=Neue+Klasse&rlz=1C1CHWL_enUS703US703&oq=Neue+Klasse&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UT

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 09:20:50 PM »
I had one for a short time -- it was a special version; the Tii. It was BMW's attempt at a sport package with an upgraded suspension and mechanical Kugelfischer fuel injection. Few were made and I sold it to pay for college expenses. In hindsight the decision was a good one, but it still hurts almost 40 years later.

There was also a Ti model that used two carbs with a high compression head, but the Tii with fuel injection was "the bomb" at that time.
I also had a 2002, Maroon '71.

That thing rode like it was on rails!

I found a set (2) of dual throat side draft Solexes, and swapped out the down draft Weber (IIRC).

That engine came alive and the sound from the Solexes was sweet!

I took it on a cross country trip to visit a friend in SLC. We drove the wheels off that thing, up and down the canyon roads.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline nonhog

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 11:15:58 PM »
German engineering, none for me thanks! My step son wanted to buy a cheap Audi that onlyneeded a timing chain. I looked into us doing it. HA! Rather build a watch from scratch. 5 grand to pay for it done.
I told him to run.
My step daughters VW Golf needed repairs as frequent as it needed fuel. POS!
On the other hand plenty of MB with 500K on the ODO. That is impressive.