Author Topic: Changing the front headlight bulbs on a GM Traverse, Acadia, Enclave --  (Read 4440 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
The lights went out on the right side of Mrs. GF's car. What are the odds of the high and low beam bulbs going out at the same time? My wife left me a "Honey Do!" note last Friday asking me to fix it. Apparently I wasn't quick enough to get to it so she used reverse psychology on me and said she'd take it to a shop today.  ;) ;) ;).

Calling her bluff, I said go ahead and wait in line, or drop it off and I'll pick you up   :P  -- that didn't go too well.  :)) :)). She responded with the ONE comment that made my day "How hard can it be?".. My response, "Well, let me show you how it's done!" First go get yourself some new bulbs, and "no!" I won't get them for you. Then join me in the garage to install them.

The entire job was photographed by Mrs. GF

It can be done without the tire off, but it's a whole lot easier to remove the tire and get access room.

Remove the two T15 inner fender liner screws on the fender well lip, the two 7mm liner hex screws underneath the bumper, and two push-in clips on the inner fender and peel the fender liner back out of the way.

A bungee cord will help keep it out of  the way

The light sockets sit in the upper section of the headlight assembly and are covered by protective cups -- they twist off to the left.

The bulbs that Mrs GF bought at NAPA were about $26 for both -- high and low beam, and they simply unplug by squeezing the retaining clips on the individual socket and then twisting the bulb assembly to the left for removal. Install by twisting the bulb assembly to the right   
Simple -- Mrs. GF changed the bulbs herself. 

Everything was put back in place in reverse order and the low and high beams are working again.

1-1/2 hours into the job and Mrs. GF knows how to change her front light bulbs now.  :)) 

Although I'm sure I will be the one doing the work next time around  ;)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:40:38 PM by goodfellow »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Good lesson, I did the same with my daughter and her Equinox which had to have the grill trim removed.

At least you don't have to pull off part of the front facia and/or trim to remove the headlamps to gain access like on some Chevy sedans.

Next have her remove the oil filter after returning from an errand!  :-\
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Good lesson, I did the same with my daughter and her Equinox which had to have the grill trim removed.

At least you don't have to pull off part of the front facia and/or trim to remove the headlamps to gain access like on some Chevy sedans.

Next have her remove the oil filter after returning from an errand!  :-\

Yeah -- Like you, I taught our daughter as well. She knows how to do the basics.

This one was a bit different though, because my wife and daughter's cars have rarely ever needed to go to a shop, and that usually happened when I was on travel for work. Hence I think that guys like us (DIY guys) are sometimes taken for granted -- even by our own kin folk. At least that's what I felt like with this episode, because I usually handle stuff like that immediately, but with the snow storm it was put on the back burner. It's not like she needed car -- the woman doesn't drive in the snow anyway.

This was my way making the point that it's not like the old days where you just replace a sealed beam with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers in under five minutes. 

Offline fatfillup

Well played GF, not that it got you anywhere :))  She got what she wanted and as far as I can tell, you may have a new camera person to document your projects,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I wouldn't be money on it

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Well played GF, not that it got you anywhere :))  She got what she wanted and as far as I can tell, you may have a new camera person to document your projects,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I wouldn't be money on it

Nope -- but I got my "Man Card" back (at least for the next few weeks)  --  ;)