Author Topic: Toyota Highlander CV Joint replacement -  (Read 4936 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Toyota Highlander CV Joint replacement -
« on: November 02, 2018, 11:50:23 AM »
This has been an interesting two weeks. What are the odds of three driver's side CV-Joints going bad on the a family fleet all at about the same time? That has to be a very high odds bet.

As it happens our Highlander, Traverse and my Caddy DTS all have bad driver's side CV joints. First up is the Highlander -- this one was pretty tough ti figure out. It produced a whine and not a clunking sound, but never-the-less it was the CV joint.

I opted for a new NAPA unit versus a re-manufactured unit just to lessen the odds of a "comeback"  :))

It's a fairly standard procedure. Loosen the brake and ABS sensor lines and remove the caliper and caliper bracket along with the rotor.

The CV joint nut is staked and requires a 12pt 30mm deep socket to remove properly. I used a small chisel to loosen the stake.

Remove the two knuckle bolts and pull the knuckle outward to release the splined CV joint.

Getting the joint out of the transmission requires a prybar to loosen the snap ring in the end of the shaft

Best was to loosen the snap ring is to drive a pry-bar between the transmission housing and the CV joint and give it a quick pull to release the snap ring/
Here is where the pry-bar should be driven in

The new joint is reinserted into the transmission and the end is hit with a mallet to snap the retaining snap-ring back into it;s locking position.

The knuckle is reattached to the splines and the strut and the CV joint nut installed loosely by hand

The CV joint nut is tightened with an impact wrench and staked with a punch

Button up the caliper bracket, caliper, brake lines, and ABS wiring and it's good to go.

On to the next vehicle ..

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: Toyota Highlander CV Joint replacement -
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
Looks about the same as what I did on my wife's 2008 4Runner except that the CV axle nut is held in with a locking sleeve held in place with a cotter pin.

Did you lose any transmission fluid when the axle was removed?  I did lose a small amount from the front axle in the 4Runner.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
Looks about the same as what I did on my wife's 2008 4Runner except that the CV axle nut is held in with a locking sleeve held in place with a cotter pin.

Did you lose any transmission fluid when the axle was removed?  I did lose a small amount from the front axle in the 4Runner.

Yes, it lost a little fluid -- less than half a cup. The trans needs a filter and new fluid, and I'll wait until next week to get that done.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
Nice work Ray! Will you get the car aligned now, or won't having the strut unbolted affect the alignment?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 06:55:43 AM »
Nice work Ray! Will you get the car aligned now, or won't having the strut unbolted affect the alignment?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

There are no adjustments on the knuckle bolts Tim, so we're good to go.