Author Topic: Never a Simple Fix  (Read 5583 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Never a Simple Fix
« on: November 02, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »
My daughter drives a 2003 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe that has approximately 165,000 mile on it.  Contrary to what many think, these vehicles stand up pretty well if maintained properly.  I always think of that guy who owns the 4-million mile Volvo who commented that you need to fix things when they break and not let them pile up because the car then becomes a POS and not worth fixing.

The latest issue was the instrument panel cluster.  The report was that there was a light out and the speedometer was not visible at night.  Think this was a simple background lamp I pulled the cluster (a simple procedure) and checked all the bulbs - not these.  This VDO-supplied cluster lights the gauge pointers through the stepper motor and the speedometer pointer was not lighting.  Not wanting to keep the vehicle off the road I found a Saturn part number replacement on eBay for a good price before disassembling the original unit.

So after installing the replacement IPC a "Service Vehicle" notice shows in the DIC and clears with the new mileage in the display after it is acknowledged.  Thinking that it just requires a reprogramming I stop by the Chevy shop where I worked and used the scan tool.  It appears that the odometer is updated from the BCM or IBCM in this model and the VIN numbers don't match causing the alert.  Without the IPC VIN cleared as in a refurbished model there is no way to update it without spending $200 on a replacement.

With a fully operational IPC sans odometer/trip meter she is happy and neither of us is very concerned about the true mileage as long as we monitor it for oil changes.

In the mean time I'm looking at the possibility of repairing the cluster with a new stepper motor.  There may or may not be a follow-up.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Never a Simple Fix
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
Well, at least you didn't have to mess with a speedometer cable -- LOL. Yeah, it hardly ever plays out as you originally expected, but that's the DIY game; always something new to present a challenge.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:46:57 PM »
Well, at least you didn't have to mess with a speedometer cable -- LOL. Yeah, it hardly ever plays out as you originally expected, but that's the DIY game; always something new to present a challenge.
At least those mechanical clusters did not do a VIN correlation to another computer (module) to be fully functional.   :-[

With my experience at the Chevy shop I expected some type of reprogramming required and hoped to do it without any hiccups on a 2003 model.  I know the difficulties in reprogramming modules and keys/key fobs because of security concerns on new models.

Not sure yet if I can get a new stepper or if it is worth trying to repair.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:30:55 AM by stokester »
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
This tale brings to mind what we went through with an 04 Dodg 1500.   Nice clean low mileage pickup, but was built in Canada.   Had Kilos marked prominent on the speedo, and the metric equivalent in oil pressure and I think temp.   Several guys looked at it but backed out when it came to the metric dashboard.  So we ordered a replacement US cluster, with the correct mileage of course.   Was ready to put it in, and noticed it was a Metric cluster.   Of course it would be,  built in Canada, it had to be factory correct.  No way could we get a MPH speedo in there, think it went to the auction. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
If you kept the car on the road and she is happy, that is a win in my book

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »
If you kept the car on the road and she is happy, that is a win in my book
Yes, I consider it a fix but was disappointed that even using the OEM scan tool I was unable to make it 100%.

This daughter is a car enthusiast who enjoyed her '74 VW Beetle, could change the fan belt and a tire and insists on having a standard transmission.  Now I have to take time to get that Bug back on the highway.  A number of years ago she and I took a motorcycle trip to Hershey PA to the AACA museum because they had a "Cars of the '50s" show and she considers the big fin era the height of automotive style.  Now we need to return to see the Tucker Cammack collection.
Nick
Yorktown, VA