Author Topic: Toyota Highlander rear wheel bearing hub -  (Read 4418 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Toyota Highlander rear wheel bearing hub -
« on: November 30, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »
Daughter was going on a long road trip next week, and there was a slight noise in the rear. Doing the classic road test and weaving left to right at speed showed that the left rear bearing was starting to go. No time like the present to change it out. On most Toyota vehicles this job is pretty easy.

Remove the tire, the caliper, caliper bracket and the rotor -- all very simple to do on a Highlander.

There are four bolts that hold the hub to the axle flange, and they can be accessed through machined holes in the hub itself.

Since this is a 4WD model, I had to remove the axle nut and push the axle a bit inward to relieve the pressure on the hub itself.

With a hammer, or in this case with an air hammer, I just hit the flange perimeter a few times to loosen the hub from the mount.

The hub popped right out and the new hub bearing was installed in its place -- no need to deal with removing emergency brake linkages or the like.

Clean and lube the backing plate surfaces to ease installation and the new hub bearing installs very easily.

Re-install the rotor, caliper bracket and caliper, and the job is done. I took my time and still got done in about an hour.

It will last the life of this car --

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:28:53 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

Re: Toyota Highlander rear wheel bearing hub -
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 10:21:35 AM »
Can't beat a air hammer with a hammer bit in it for getting things apart.  Mine stays in the air hammer all the time.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
Can't beat a air hammer with a hammer bit in it for getting things apart.  Mine stays in the air hammer all the time.

Yup - same here. It's the most used bit in the inventory

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »

Yup - same here. It's the most used bit in the inventory
I need to get me one.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 03:47:01 PM »
I got mine at Napa, was cheap enough.  A lot of times, hitting around the perimeter of what you are trying to get off will coax it off easily.  Also, if you have a bolt that won't budge, have one person put pressure on the bolt with a wrench and then bang around the bolt and it will come loose. 

I remember I had a mechanic working for me and we had a pulley that wouldn't budge.  He hit it with the hammer bit and walked it right off.  I bought mine soon after.  Made short work of a normally PIA job

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
I got mine at Napa, was cheap enough.  A lot of times, hitting around the perimeter of what you are trying to get off will coax it off easily.  Also, if you have a bolt that won't budge, have one person put pressure on the bolt with a wrench and then bang around the bolt and it will come loose. 

I remember I had a mechanic working for me and we had a pulley that wouldn't budge.  He hit it with the hammer bit and walked it right off.  I bought mine soon after.  Made short work of a normally PIA job

Pulleys that won’t budge are my specialty. I’ve had more than my fair share working in an air compressor shop.