Author Topic: Probably not the right section to post, but....  (Read 9494 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Probably not the right section to post, but....
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 10:17:38 PM »
water is the most important of course. beyond that is food and honestly bland food is one hell of a lot better than no food or rancid and spoiled food.

we had an ice storm in the late fall about 10 years ago. it caused me to upgrade to  a larger/ better generator, 8000 watts with a honda gx 390. it iwll run anything we need in an emergency. my only thought would be wanting one that would be dual fuel so lp could also be used. as long as we can keep the freezer running we could go a long time but honestly the cupboards could be lived out of for a couple weeks. i may not like eating some things but water and sustenance = life,
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline ken w.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »
Serious?   Livng out where  I  do, one can slip into an us vs. them mind set.   Especially during hunting season when the road hunters constantly circle the section  in their shiny new pickups,  guns hanging out the windows.   Drive by at 10 mph, scoping out the homestead,  makes one keep  all the good stuff hid from sight.  Also  makes some folk keep the shooting irons loaded and handy.

It amazes me the stuff folks leave out in the open when I'm driving the really remote back roads.  I've seen guns leaning on the front porch . atv's w/ keys in them by the road. Their either real trusting or kind of dumb. I left a leaf and garden rake leaning against my maple tree when I was planting grass and had to get more grass seed. They were both gone when I came back. And I'm in a pretty good area , not near the hood. I can't wait to move out to the sticks.  It was a crappy leaf rake at that.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »
As I heard one guy state, "I could live a long time on tuna and peanut butter!" 

I'll add it's probably true - just not at the same time.
Tuna that sticks to the roof of your mouth.  :-\

Offline slip knot

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 10:33:28 PM »
Tuna from a can is one of those every 6 months type of foods. But Ahi steaks are the bomb.  :-*

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 11:55:48 PM »
I used to go out on 1-1/2 day boats with limited loads to go after tuna. If we hooked a small Skipjack tuna while trolling we would rig it up and troll it. Sometimes then an Albacore or Yellowfin would grab it and we would be in a school of tuna. I just can't believe it when I see Skipjack in the stores for sale. That is the lowest form of tuna and we considered it bait and not edible.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
My cats wont even eat Skipjack and tuna is like crack to them.

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 10:26:06 PM »
I know its and old post, but...

We live in a rural area, the local community consists of about 350 people. The nearest gas station or store of any kind is over 10 miles away.

We have water stored (150+ gallons) and non-perishable food with a 30-year shelf life. Being rural, some preparedness is a way of life.

You don't drive home with the gauge on "E", you make sure you have extra batteries, fuel, water, etc. This is really hitting home with the recent power shutoffs by PG&E here in Nor Cal. While we have not been affected, most adjacent areas have been.

That might mean the nearest store or gas station with power is now 30+ miles away. It is better to have it and not need it vs needing it and not having it.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 10:50:26 PM »
We have a nearly 10 mile drive to the grocery store and 1 gas station and general store about 3 miles away. I always try to keep the gas tank above 1/2 but have to keep on the wife about keeping her tank pretty full especially in winter. We are on propane but only for the water heater and furnace and I can cook on the wood stove if I have to. We can get a good thunderstorm 8 or 9 miles east of us and our roads out of here are blocked by water or rocks and debris.

I wouldn't trade the rural living for anything and can make do if we lose power. We are just east of Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley NV and that is close enough to CA for me.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 11:31:45 PM »
You know, Coleman camp stoves and lanterns can be had for cheap, and do a great job for what they were intended to do. Keeping some white gas around doesn't take up much space, and even canned beans are much better when served hot!
I've got several of both devices stored as monsoon emergency tools.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 09:00:47 AM »
Living along the gulf coast every hurricane season brings a new season of supplies, water and fuel are the hardest to come by during a storm. I keep 15-20 gallons of fuel and 10 five gallon jugs of water. having the generator is the biggest help. you don't need to run it continuously, just long enough to cycle the freezers off and charge the phones. During Harvey the wife ran thru 5 gallons of fuel over a weeks time. Yeah she's trained pretty well. We didn't lose anything in the freezers.

I've been looking for a older Onan that will run on LPG. I've got two 500 gallon tanks one for the house and I plan to hook one up to the shop. it would be nice to have a genset that would run on LPG. Then I can keep the gas for the trucks. ;D

Usually I think converting one to run on LPG is a matter of changing an orifice? Or possibly the carb, but I know you can change them over.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 10:05:43 AM »
Living along the gulf coast every hurricane season brings a new season of supplies, water and fuel are the hardest to come by during a storm. I keep 15-20 gallons of fuel and 10 five gallon jugs of water. having the generator is the biggest help. you don't need to run it continuously, just long enough to cycle the freezers off and charge the phones. During Harvey the wife ran thru 5 gallons of fuel over a weeks time. Yeah she's trained pretty well. We didn't lose anything in the freezers.

I've been looking for a older Onan that will run on LPG. I've got two 500 gallon tanks one for the house and I plan to hook one up to the shop. it would be nice to have a genset that would run on LPG. Then I can keep the gas for the trucks. ;D

Usually I think converting one to run on LPG is a matter of changing an orifice? Or possibly the carb, but I know you can change them over.

As I recall my dad had an old '53 Chevy pickup with a propane conversion kit on it. He had it adjusted to run on either gasoline or propane (normally propane). If he ran out of propane, with a flick of a switch he could run gasoline, though it ran a bit rich. He eventually sold the truck -  but kept the propane kit.

I don't know with gasoline, but with furnaces, LPG orifices are about half the size of natural gas, due to the fact that LP gas has about twice the energy output of methane. Though they expect a fair number of furnaces to be converted, as most furnaces comes shipped set up for natural but include the LP orifices and regulator spring.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:11:23 AM by bonneyman »