Author Topic: Can anyone possibly tell me the age of this Huskey ratchet ?  (Read 7041 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I've never seen another just like it before.
Even after some lubrication It's a little stiff from I believe never being used, but fit and finish is excellent. I'm thinking late 90's or early 2000's but it's just a feeling I have.

I'm counting 45 teeth which is decent enough, and the mechanism inside is pretty interesting to me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Can anyone possibly tell me the age of this Huskey ratchet ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »
I've just never seen this version of Husky stamp before.

I know it's a somewhat decent ratchet, most likely early 2000's or something but I really just don't know.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline chevy302dz

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:23:53 PM »
What stands out to me is it looks like a older Husky logo and the direction lever looks like it was off a Proto bigdawg. Maybe some type of test sample for Homedepot before they went to full offshore production?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
What stands out to me is it looks like a older Husky logo and the direction lever looks like it was off a Proto bigdawg. Maybe some type of test sample for Homedepot before they went to full offshore production?
That's an interesting theory.

Minus the Quick release, it is using at the least a very close copy of the PROTO big dawg mechanism.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:44:45 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:22:08 PM »
The more I look into the PROTO big dawg ratchets the more similarities I keep seeing in this ratchet.

I may be wrong but I'm starting to think this ratchet may have been manufactured by PROTO.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »
Found another picture of a big dawg, and the chamfer on the end of the anvil is a dead ringer.

I tell ya I keep seeing more that points me towards PROTO as the manufacturer, but there is a subtle difference to the selector that has me questioning myself.
This wouldn't tell me how old this is , but it could help figure out if I was to more or less confirm PROTO as the manufacturer.
Always lookin' to learn

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 10:38:01 AM »
I agree. The guts look just like a big dawg but that handle and plate are crazy different. Very intersting piece.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 12:46:19 PM »
Centerpunch was into husky tools, but in not sure if he actually knew anything or was just a fanboy.
We don't want him around anyways.

Oh well, the mystery continues I guess.
Something about that spring loaded L pin is familiar to me, but I've got no clue why.
Probably a teardown post on a Big dawg that I read or something, I know I've certainly never encountered this mechanism in person before
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:52:33 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:27:44 PM »
The handle / neck on this 3/8 Craftsman ratchet is very close to my Husky, so I'm guessing they were probably both produced by Stanley /PROTO.

I don't know when those particular Craftsman ratchets came out either but I'm thinking probably around the same time as my Husky.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:33:06 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 11:28:16 PM »
The handle / neck on this 3/8 Craftsman ratchet is very close to my Husky, so I'm guessing they were probably both produced by Stanley /PROTO.

I don't know when those particular Craftsman ratchets came out either but I'm thinking probably around the same time as my Husky.

i will go with you on that ratchet quite possibly sharing dna with a proto big dawg style of ratchet.

the cman ratchets? pretty doubtful. that shape of handle is shared  by 10's if not 100's of ratchets by a pile of mfgs both domestic  and mostly import.  handle shape is most often not a good indication of shared dna. the handle is the easiest thing to change.

if that ratchet truly is  related to the big dawg in may very likely could have been an improvement over the big dawgs. i like that style of mechanism. the big dawg is a great ratchet and the majority of its parts are very heavy and solid. it's weak spot was the screws that held the plate in place. i have never heard of a pawl or anvil failing. the screws holding the plate in place would either break or  come loose allowing the internal parts to come out of alignment. the result was the springs and or pin to break, bend or become lost. even if the  internal parts were undamaged the screws were small and hard to obtain rendering the ratchet useless without them.

that said, even your husky ratchet uses a snap ring that only had contact with a limited part of the head
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 05:14:22 AM »
I figured I might be grasping at straws with that Craftsman ratchet.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 06:34:59 PM »
Centerpunch was into husky tools, but in not sure if he actually knew anything or was just a fanboy.

With all due respect though

Offline Elroy

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 07:58:27 PM »

Is that really necessary ?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 08:43:49 PM »

Is that really necessary ?
I'm saying he could possibly know something about this ratchet, but while I never witnessed it I've been told he was a big problem on the old GG and he might not be wanted around here.

He seemed like a decent guy In the PM's we sent back and forth which is all I knew of him, but I don't really know if he had some good knowledge about husky tools or just liked them.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 08:49:31 PM »

With all due respect though
I think there might be some kind of misunderstanding or something.

I'm not trying to crap on a member who was banned from the old site or something, I remembered he was into husky tools and thought were he considered a productive member to have around he might be able to tell me something about this ratchet.
All I know is that he liked husky tools though, I don't know whether or not he was a source for information or anything.
Always lookin' to learn