Author Topic: Inflation bites me on the hiney!  (Read 969 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: Inflation bites me on the hiney!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 06:34:46 PM »
Ditto!

While in high school I worked at the local IGA for $1.75 an hour.  It was barely enough to keep gas in the car and take my best girl to the movies and dances.  I learned how to work on cars because I could not afford to pay someone to do it for me.

Not sure of what I wanted to do in life and the oldest of four kids, it was the USAF for me.  After 28+ years of active duty, some time as a defense contractor and a few year as a Chevy mechanic I'm enjoying retirement.  No regrets.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 08:02:46 AM »
Spot on! Government is the enemy of all the middle class working folks. Today it’s designed to only help the ones that don’t care to work and live off the dole.

I think the government is the enemy of the lower class too.  Keep em down and buy the votes with handouts.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2024, 08:36:00 AM »
The sheer shock of the prices rising and the fiat currency(dollars) loosing their buying power at the same time is a hard pill to swallow. We really havent seen such a debacle since the early eighties. I was a young lad in junior high and remember the big hubub when gold went to $800 an ounce back then. Housing was loaned well into double digits(I know my aunt and uncle bought at 14% back then) and times were tough. Hard to grasp and it seems anyone who lived it was too young to remember or on the other end and retired or worse.

There is a reason those brics types are trying to ditch the us dollar. We use it as a weapon and they don't have a say. Bad enough we went over there and beat them into submission to get the world the oil. Now we have all the oil and gas we need within the United States so they for some odd reason are trying to make a switch to electric. Follow the money and I'm sure it will lead to a reason.

I feel we are in for a rough ride going forward. Down in venezuela they had a nasty stock market run when their currency hit a snag. Good for those with the assets. Not so much for those living hand to mouth.

I hope everyone is well!
Rich

Online bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 09:16:40 AM »
Prep, baby, prep!  Beans, bullets, and bullion. :dance:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 11:35:59 AM »
Texas T, I graduated college in 1979, got married in 80 and bought my first house.  My Dad blessed me with a 9% mortgage which I was thrilled to have.  Times were tough and jobs scarce.  Like any other time, we get through and come out better on the other side. 

Inflation is my biggest retirement fear.  I have enough to live the rest of my life,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think.  I used to know I was fine but now there is doubt.  Hard to cut off the income stream when the future is so unpredictable and the path we are on now is rocky.